UKBouldering.com

Recovery (Read 4295 times)

yorkshiregripper

Recovery
January 22, 2007, 09:20:22 am
Does anyone know the best solution to quick recovery after training?  Do you think protein shakes are good?  I also read that you built muscle better if you have protein before training, know anything about that??

Oh, where can I get a good weight belt?

Thanks  :wave:

drdeath

• player
#1 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 09:34:16 am
I would advise not using a Weight Belt...Unless you have some medical reason for doing so...

Its pretty much unnecessary, unless you are going for your personal dead-lifting?squating  record etc...But then again maybe you are? 

D

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru2r.htm

drdeath

• player
#2 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 09:37:17 am
And I am a big fan of the post-workout protein shake...I usually make a bowl of prridge with a scoop  of chocolate protein mixed in....tastes better than it sounds...

Oh, and a big recommendation for http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/

The best strength training store around, i've used them many times always with good results, quick delivery etc...currently i am enjoying their "eagle-loops" for finger training...
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1237

Happy training... :wave:

D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:42:34 am by drdeath »

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 11:23:50 am
Weight belts ARE a good idea as long as you don't over do it.  Weights below 4/5kg will be enough.  Make sure that you keep the main weight evenly around your centre of gravity.

As far as recovery shake etc I think there is a thread talking about protein somewhere.  I like to track down some human colostrum  ;)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#4 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 11:39:26 am
errr, I did a pull up with 68kg hanging from my waist. It kind of hurt actually...  Better to distribute the weight, some in a rucsac, some round your waist.

As far as recovery goes, you'll find that a blend of carbs and proteins is the future. Just look at the ratio's on the various recovery drinks available on the market.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 11:59:40 am
I recently consumed a high protein recovery bar for the first time post-session. It weighed a ton and was reminiscent of a hyper-compact turd. It didn't taste vastly dissimilar from what I imagine shit tastes like either. Not sure if anyone has incorporated these into their post climbing/training regime, but maybe worth a go?

BenF

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 12:06:55 pm
It weighed a ton

If you're lifting bars that weigh a ton, you really don't need to train mate. 

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#7 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 12:13:42 pm
Very nearly doubled as a dumbell aye!

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 12:47:38 pm
i train a lot with a weight belt, and it has definitely been instrumental at lifting me from totally crap to generally mediocre. get one from a diving shop with pouches that take little 1kg bags of lead shot. they're dear, but comfy and the buckles are great: important if you're doing routes with it in a busy climbing wall.
i started off light (2kg) on a problem i know (and love) and have done blindfolded. i built up to doing this with 4kg before i introduced another problem into the equation. i now have 4 problems that i can do. the most i use is 8kg on the easiest, and 4kg on the hardest. i've never had any problems with finger/elbow/shoulder injuries. in fact i reckon it's the least injurous form of training i've ever done. you have to be controlled or you'll fall off. have also done lots of volume top roping at the wall with 8kg. it's killer.
good luck...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 12:53:34 pm
I would advise not using a Weight Belt...Unless you have some medical reason for doing so...

Its pretty much unnecessary, unless you are going for your personal dead-lifting?squating  record etc...But then again maybe you are? 

D

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru2r.htm

I think there is some confusion here about weightbelts, ie weight belts as in belts with weithts attached to them and weightbelts as in belt used for supporting "middle" when pushing weights.

yorkshiregripper

#10 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 01:19:52 pm
Thanks for the info, appreciated.  The weightbelt isnt for me, I find it hard enough to climb as it is, getting one as a present.

Thanks  :dance1:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 01:46:06 pm
i use weights quite alot, and they are good.
i use them for finger strength (pull ups and static-dynamic pullups), and for campusing. i read somewhere that for campusing you should stay around 8-10% of you bodyweight for the weights, cos more would decrease the elasticity and the benfits of the pliometric bounce.

i think proteins are better after the session, to prepare the muscle for super compensation, unless you are going to have a weight lifting-very muscular session.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 04:39:25 pm
I made this last year using some decathlong ankle weights, its very comfortable and you can get them in 2x0.5kg/1kg/2kg to make up a belt of your choice:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#13 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 04:58:41 pm
Not everybody is luck to have a waist the size of an ankle Paul ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 05:09:53 pm
 :oops: - it does require some webbing as well.

drdeath

• player
#15 Re: Recovery
January 22, 2007, 08:34:36 pm
Ah, i see....I certainly endorse "weighted" excercise belts, have a nice one which I use for putting on  plates for weighted dips and chins...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal