UKBouldering.com

Frankfurt on a Saturday night (Read 4686 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 16, 2007, 04:27:58 pm
Looking for something techno on a saturday night in frankfurt. I just had a look at the cocoon website but it seems to be techno on friday and not on saturday. Obviously I'd love to see Sven Vath at Cocoon but only a saturday night is possible. This weekend or next.

Houdini? You seem to know about these things... care to impart some knowledge?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 16, 2007, 08:23:03 pm
If you are flexible enough for a Saturday morning then the U60311 (www.u60311.de) would be where I would go.  The 26th of this month is DJ Rush, who would pummel Väth.

I've not found anything else of much worth in FF itself on either Saturday.  Mannheim 1 hr to the south has good rep for techno, if you are prepared to travel.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#2 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 17, 2007, 09:11:15 am
Have seen DJ Rush on many occassions in London but I'm not really into the drum and bass flavour anymore. Unless I'm getting totally mixed up... I suppose it's no great loss if there's nothing on, I just won't bother going. If you see anything interesting let me know. Mannheim sounds interesting, have you got any links?

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 17, 2007, 10:26:13 am
Uncle, I think you're getting mixed up with Ed Rush.  He plays DnB. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 17, 2007, 10:35:43 am
This club in (nr Mannheim).  Just a quick gondola down the Rhein.  I've no idea how you would find good techno in Frankfurt when you want it, and suspect it's known for techno more through the people who make it rather than perform it there.  Germany is techno friendly but apart from Berlin I know nowhere that's dependable.

(It blows in Hamburg too:  it's been in the grip of some hideous too-stylish super-compact minimal-tech-funk slowglitchpishfuck for years now, which is a source of much annoyance in the Technarium.  Dead rare to find a great night.) 

www.djrush.net
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:42:04 am by Houdini, Reason: slpeling »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#5 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 17, 2007, 10:42:34 am
Benf; you are so right. I am getting old and senile...

Houdini; I've just looked at some videos of dj rush on youtube and have to say I don't want to go and listen to a man shouting over what appears to be verging on drum and bass (perhaps just hard hard techno).  Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep looking around.

BenF

• forum hero
#6 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 17, 2007, 12:12:52 pm
Benf; you are so right. I am getting old and senile...

Well it's nice to right about something for once.  Tell me it again, it felt soooo good...

Houdini; I've just looked at some videos of dj rush on youtube and have to say I don't want to go and listen to a man shouting over what appears to be verging on drum and bass (perhaps just hard hard techno).  Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep looking around.

And what exactly is wrong with going to club to listen to a man shouting over what appears to be verging on drum and bass... Tut tut, I don't know, da yoot of today.  ::)

By the way, Houdini, I owe you some credit for stealing a line of yours (no not that kind).  You used the term "twitching like spastic to the sound of grinding beats" quite a while back and I rather liked the sound of it.  Anyway, I came out with it (or something resembling your comment) at some point in the early hours of the new year and got a few laughs (a rare occurence).  So thanks for that.  I did actually say the comment wasn't mine by the way and that I'd read it on a bouldering forum.  Which must have made me out to be a right sad twat. :shrug:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#7 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 26, 2007, 09:45:49 am
I will be leaving for frankfurt in the morning. I've tracked down a most excellent party at the Robert Johnson and will report back monday morning! Time to get my international dance on!  :dance1:

as a sidenote, you can listen to some very nice music on http://www.robert-johnson.de

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#8 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 26, 2007, 10:17:32 am
Nice music indeed. Hope it's a wicked trip man. Hope to see some club snaps like those from Jeff Mills.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#9 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 29, 2007, 03:47:31 pm
Back at work after an amazing weekend in frankfurt! After walking around for about 12 hours trying to find somewhere cool to hang out we stumbled upon a bar called "the place to be" and the guy who worked there was really helpful. He helped us find an amazing restaurant for dinner (Italian called Ruccola, go there if you are in frankfurt, you won't find better) and gave us the lowdown on more nice cafe's/bars and Robert Johnson.

Robert Johson blew me away for so many reasons. It's in the middle of nowhere (or so it seems) in what appears to be a sports centre. Something like teh youth centre your school had when you were 15. We walked in to find a room, bar at one end, DJ at the other. I knew it was small but this was smaller than expected. Within 30 seconds I knew I was in the right place... AMAZING music and everyone was there to enjoy the party. No pretentious shit like I see all the time in London. 2 local DJ's just kept on going all night, swapping over every now and then, sometimes playing together, but generally destroying the place. The sound quality was amazing and LOUD. No ringing ears the next day. I can't recommend this club enough if you want to experience amazing techno in the simplest form possible. No fancy lights, no fancy sofas, no fancy bar. Robert Johnson is all about techno. It was fucking amazing. The best techno I have ever heard in a nightclub. 9 hours of constant goodness. It wasn't some shit, some good, some amazing, it was constantly amazing. It was different from seeing Richie or the other big numbers but in some strange way it was purer. Like I say, no pretense, just incredible sounds.

Some pics of the action;

Robert Johnson is amazing. Fucking good music, good atmosphere, nice people, and even a terrace to chill out on (very cold!). Go there.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#10 Re: Frankfurt on a Saturday night
January 29, 2007, 09:02:29 pm
Looks to have been a quality trip man. Going to have to get into this euro weekend lark at some point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal