UKBouldering.com

Weekend in Font by Bus...... (Read 3512 times)

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 10, 2007, 11:59:59 pm
As seen on UKC.....http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=220948

No good for you tough northern types, you'll just have to run down to Dover in your keks and swim as per normal....

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 11, 2007, 12:09:44 am
Good idea in theory, but most of the prices aren't actually £69. Also, I'd be more tempted to keep saving at those prices and get a piss cheap flight and hence afford an extra two weeks in the forest (camping and food costs). You can make a little go a long way if you're a tight-arse nomad.

Also not sure if you could justify the extra just for the sake of a playstation and tea-making facility. As for bed (southern fairies might need one  ;)

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#2 Re: Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 11, 2007, 10:39:36 pm
Well if you didn't have the holiday to take and you fancied a weekend, I suppose you could....

Take a train from london to luton (£20 return), leaving work half an hour early to make the last
flight at 18:55 - fly ltn-cdg (£67.66 return), get a train from CDG to Fontainbleau (about £20)
return.  Get a taxi  (£20 return....unless you fancy the 3 hour walk each way), pay 2 nights camping
(about £20),....total....£147.66

or you could buy one ticket for £89, leave from Bow at 8pm and arrive in the morning at Musardiere,
pay 1 nights camping.....£99....

Option A sounds like a lot more pain.....mind you for a week it's nice to have a car.....but for a
weekend.....the price is good......

Monolith

• forum hero
#3 Re: Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 11, 2007, 11:42:42 pm
Aye, I take your point, but I'm more in the camp of spend as much time as possible there on as little money. Maybe it's just my age. Also, if you get there, 2 days in my experience is not much of an allowance threshold to cater for rain. 148 quid just to get pissed on would be miserable.

A bit more refining and I reckon that's a great idea.

Turboman

• addict
#4 Re: Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 12, 2007, 09:30:14 am
  Get a taxi  (£20 return....unless you fancy the 3 hour walk each way),

Beware of Fontcabs!!!

I had a couple days in Paris just before Xmas and planned a quick one day trip to Cuvier.

Got the train to Font and called for a cab from outside Font railway station at 9am. Despite frequent calls to say "where's my cab Monsieur?"  I got the universal taxi controllers reply of "it's 5 mins away".  By 11am still no cab!!!  >:(

Not ideal for a strategic quick trip to Font.

Monolith

• forum hero
#5 Re: Weekend in Font by Bus......
January 12, 2007, 10:04:46 am
Plus the fact that they are a complete rip off! Can't remember how much the one time I got a cab from the campsite into font cost, but it was horrendous I know that much.

As there are always boulderers driving through the forest, you'll never suffer in the hitching stakes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal