UKBouldering.com

Liquid Skin! (Read 21060 times)

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 12:01:03 am
I have that manky hand syndrome too, I think gymnsatics initially inflamed it (rings strength stuff). It was pretty painful when I first started climbing. I find there is a strong link between indoor climbing on jugs where you get all your hand round the hold and the pain and immobility in my minging hands. If I stay away from yarding it on big holds I can go for long periods without any bother from the duputryens. I just have to contend with sore finger joints instead.  :thumbsdown:

BenF

• forum hero
#26 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 07:51:23 am
Thanks Bonjoy and Andy for the quick lesson in Dupuytren's.  The genetic stuff you both mention is pretty much exactly what my Mum said (and just goes to show that what she says is usually correct ::)). 

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 03:05:42 pm
I too have this scar tissue- have been wondering what it was for years. Both hands ring finger left hand, base of little finger right hand. Sounds like it is really common amongst climbers.

BenF

• forum hero
#28 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 03:29:57 pm
It does indeed appear to be very common amongst climbers, almost a badge of honour on this forum. 
If you ain't got lumps on your palms, you can't be in our gang! 

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#29 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 03:51:25 pm
I saw several different GPs about the lump in the middle of my left palm and was always told "its a callous, just file it off", only found out what it was when i saw a thread about it on UKC

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#30 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 10, 2007, 04:19:50 pm
Jeez, that's eight people with DC that this thread has turned up!
I bet this is going to get more and more common over the next few years as the long term effects of improved indoor facilities start to show up.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 11, 2007, 05:07:41 pm
I reckon we should start a support group / registered charity for sufferers, raise funds and spend funds on recouperative holidays for sufferers. To font.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#32 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 11, 2007, 06:25:03 pm
Does anyone who suffers have a photo of their palm? I have hard bits of skin on my palm but just assumed they were calluses...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#33 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 11, 2007, 10:55:16 pm
I reckon we should start a support group / registered charity for sufferers, raise funds and spend funds on recouperative holidays for sufferers. To font.
How about a big elephant pit to throw ya bunch of freaks into instead  :)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#34 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 12:00:44 am
watch wha ya say jim, you're prime fodder for dc. white male, nearing middle age, likes a drink...
!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#35 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 07:34:37 am
Straight in with the Elephants, Jim?!  That's a bit OTT. 

No Tigers, Lions maybe?  ???

You're all very naughty boys!

BenF

• forum hero
#36 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 08:26:46 am

I'm happy to be a recipient of any charitable work that you may do Chris.  Get on with it and book me that ferry; my need is great, my suffering immense and the only respite that I can imagine is working out on some slopers pretty soon.

Perhaps you could start this charity right now to make the most of the public's post xmas guilt ridden donation potential.    I can imagine little figures in the doorways of climbing shops and walls.  Just like the ones in that other thread (I forget which one), complete with slots in the top of their heads and instead of a caliper they could have lumpy hands, chalk bags and a pad on their backs.  The public won't fail to drop money into the heads of such pathetic little figures. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#37 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 10:20:58 am
I think we need to register as a charity first, then hire some full time "fundraisers" to prise open the public's wallets and bank accounts.

Who want's to do the Advertising?

BenF

• forum hero
#38 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 12:06:29 pm
Who wants to do the sitting around in an office making up poncy adverts to sell things that people don't want to people who can't afford it?

Is it paid well?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#39 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 12:11:26 pm
I've heard of some extortionate rates charged to here for single page crappy adverts in trade rags, so I would say yes.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#40 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 12:25:29 pm
watch wha ya say jim, you're prime fodder for dc. white male, nearing middle age, likes a drink...
!

I think he already had it when he was a Rover-driving youth.  He massaged the swelling everyday for a year and a half until his record-breaking lumps had been banished from his palms and into his forearms.  Leaving him looking like east Manchester's answer to Fred Nicole. 
That his arms contain mainly scar tissue accounts for the fact that he can't climb 8b+. That right Jim?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#41 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 12, 2007, 06:53:14 pm
its like... you can... read my mind

chappers

• forum hero
#42 Re: Liquid Skin!
January 15, 2007, 12:36:14 pm
thinking about it, I remember my grandad had it..

my grandad also suffers from this condition. he was a professional cricket player (not sure if there is a relationship between the two). his hands are messed up, cant straighten quite a few of his fingers, twinned with broken ends of quite a few fingers they look a right state, dont let yours progress too much!!

i also have one, on my left palm, no pain, thick skin build up, no loss of mobility, but i often massage it in fear of getting "grandpa jack fucked up hands syndrome"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal