UKBouldering.com

The Road (Read 4134 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
The Road
June 13, 2003, 07:18:03 am
Got my DVD of this through the post today

pretty good stuff - mainly just a few things of cxm: so ill, crouching dragon, petzl rock trip, triassic, and a hueco section with a few other goodies added in at the end - but worth having none the less (they all look waaay better when viewed on a 25" screen instead of a monitor!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 The Road
June 13, 2003, 07:41:12 am
Is it all Josh Lowell's stuff?

I never got dosage coz I had them all on download.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#2 The Road
June 13, 2003, 09:47:38 am
this ones all Mike Call - the guy who did Frequent Flyers

i'd say both this and the dosage are worth having on DVD if only to get to see them on a decent sized screen, some of the footage is top (but you'll have seen almost everything except the Hueco bit - which features brits Matt Birch and Lucy Ellis - and the extras (bits and bobs) before

i'm still eagerly awaiting Dosage Vol. 2 to get the full effect of Psicobloc on a big screen!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 The Road
June 13, 2003, 09:50:28 am
Is Dosage 2 still going to happen now that Climbxmedia is down?

dave

#4 The Road
June 13, 2003, 09:55:27 am
I hope they do dosage 2 cos i wanna see all that rumney sportclimbing on big scrren, it all looked ill on the site.

I think they will do dosage2, the site going down shoudln't effect it, if anything it'll mean they've got more time and money to do it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 The Road
June 13, 2003, 09:59:56 am
Yeah, that Rumney stuff looked amazing - I just thought Dosage referred to the cxm "The Dose" so wasn't sure whether they'd maybe release it as something else.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#6 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:01:13 am
Quote from: "dave"
I hope they do dosage 2 cos i wanna see all that rumney sportclimbing on big scrren, it all looked ill on the site.

I think they will do dosage2, the site going down shoudln't effect it, if anything it'll mean they've got more time and money to do it.

How brick hard does The Fly look? V14 crux on a sport route!

Awesome...

Is it just me or is the Buttermilker and Spectre the most awesome piece of bouldering every caught on camera! Truely aweinspiringly desperate!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:05:41 am
Slashface looks quite tasty too. Shame nobody filmed Gaskins on Walk Away sitter coz I bet that looks  mind-bendingly hard

dave

#8 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:13:46 am
Quote from: "Adam Lincoln"
Is it just me or is the Buttermilker and Spectre the most awesome piece of bouldering every caught on camera! Truely aweinspiringly desperate!

I like the buttermilker cos they come back in horrendous cold day after day to get it done, and on the website i liked the multi-angle close-ups etc but the problem itself isn't line of the century. Spectre however is mindbending in every way. I recon its on a par with Careless Torque for most inspiring problem I've never done and probably never will.

I'd reserve your statment of "most awesome piece of bouldering every caught on camera!" untill you've seen the shit me and Q-ball will be dropping on this site when we get our heads around premier, its going to be ill, dude.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#9 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:21:07 am

I like the buttermilker cos they come back in horrendous cold day after day to get it done, and on the website i liked the multi-angle close-ups etc but the problem itself isn't line of the century. Spectre however is mindbending in every way. I recon its on a par with Careless Torque for most inspiring problem I've never done and probably never will.

I'd reserve your statment of "most awesome piece of bouldering every caught on camera!" untill you've seen the shit me and Q-ball will be dropping on this site when we get our heads around premier, its going to be ill, dude.

Ahh  just wait till i get my stuff up here! (It will be terrible!)

What version of premier you got? Ive got 6.0 if you havent got it? Also got After Effects, which is good... If you need that?

Have you got a good Mini DV? I spent £400 on a samsung one. Will i be able to get perfect large size playback on that? What factors infuluence quality and the max size of playback. I want it to go on CD or maybe even DVD when done.

dave

#10 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:29:02 am
I've just aquired premier 6 and a half.

My mates camera is a canon mv600 (i think) which was about £330. Apparently the only difference between a £300 dv camera and a £600 is features, the quality remains the same untill you get into £1000 for the ones with 3 CCDs. I've seen the quality of the stuff we've taken so far, just looks at least as good as the quality of say Rampage (obviously thats eroded by being on VHS though).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:34:29 am
They should all look fine at full screen through ya telly - ok, they're not going to be upto the qualidy of the BBC or something, but if you burn them to DVD then they should look better than most VHS.

I'm going to try authoring a DVD myself sometime but not sure what the best software for doing this is - someone on mediaforums.net would help you out there.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#12 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:37:03 am
I've just aquired premier 6 and a half.

My mates camera is a canon mv600 (i think) which was about £330. Apparently the only difference between a £300 dv camera and a £600 is features, the quality remains the same untill you get into £1000 for the ones with 3 CCDs. I've seen the quality of the stuff we've taken so far, just looks at least as good as the quality of say Rampage (obviously thats eroded by being on VHS though).

Did you have any problems with white noise and stuff at first. My Ysgo stuff is quite bad...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#13 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:38:18 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
They should all look fine at full screen through ya telly - ok, they're not going to be upto the qualidy of the BBC or something, but if you burn them to DVD then they should look better than most VHS.

I'm going to try authoring a DVD myself sometime but not sure what the best software for doing this is - someone on mediaforums.net would help you out there.

Yes, that is my goal, to produce a commercial bouldering DVD. Obviously will need a pro dv but one day....

dave

#14 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:43:08 am

Did you have any problems with white noise and stuff at first. My Ysgo stuff is quite bad...

Don't think so, but we've not filmed that much stuff, and not edited anything in premier yet, so I'll let you know.
One thing that was off-putting was when we were messing around with Windows Movie Maker (before i got premier just for a mess around) even when importing as DV quality it was unwatchable on fullscreen size. Hope it was just some foyble of that shit software, not some underlying problem with my computer or Kim's camera.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:46:06 am
Steven Soderbergh (director of "Traffic", " Erin Brockovich") did his last feature length film almost entirely on consumer level miniDv cams and Mac powerbooks!

It can be done....

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#16 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:48:16 am
premier got right on my tits so i binned it - computer at home isn't high enough spec to use it well i think

still using my cheapo software that came with the firewire card and that works a treat

some friends of mine filmed a few adventure races and put together a DVD of the footage after that - sounded an absolute nightmare to get everything working (voice track being out of sync etc when burned but running finwe on comp. etc etc. they got it sorted in the end though but expect to waste hours if not days.... months.... till you get it right)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#17 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:53:20 am

One thing that was off-putting was when we were messing around with Windows Movie Maker (before i got premier just for a mess around) even when importing as DV quality it was unwatchable on fullscreen size. Hope it was just some foyble of that shit software, not some underlying problem with my computer or Kim's camera.

I have had the misfortune of using WMM and I reckon that it was the limitation of the s/w. Even the highest export settings are lossy and would look crap even on half screen. The problem is that the end results are always 320*240 and will never look good when stretched.

I have also recently acquired Premier and am planning to make a short bouldering film shot on super8.

dave

#18 The Road
June 13, 2003, 10:56:37 am
It's reasuring that its was the shitty S/w not my machine.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 The Road
June 13, 2003, 11:01:41 am
Quote from: "Glen Dale"
film shot on super8.

Ooooh !!! Proper arty, aren't we?  :wink:

dave

#20 The Road
June 13, 2003, 11:06:42 am
I'd like to see someone produce a bouldering film on cinema camera, and then edit it all by cutting a sellotaping bits of celluloid together, proper old skool. Or film it in black and white, then colour it in later in glorious technicolor.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#21 The Road
June 13, 2003, 12:12:46 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"

Cant belive the ammount of people selling copied DVD's on that forum!

Cool :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal