UKBouldering.com

Laptop screen calibration (Read 2519 times)

squeek

• junky
Laptop screen calibration
January 02, 2007, 09:11:38 pm
Anyone any tips on how to properly calibrate a monitor screen, or check if it's off?  Found some info online, but nothing comprehensive, or that doesn't involve using non-free programs.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Laptop screen calibration
January 02, 2007, 09:29:03 pm
I've scoured the internet a couple of times for such articles for my ibook but didn't really find anything of use. If you're willing to part with the dosh, you could get yourself a calibration device. It'd probably be knocking on the door of between 50-90 quid (from the review I read) but would give you lasting piece of mind. Obviously if you don't require absolute fine-tuning, it would be understandable why you wouldn't want to pay anywhere near this amount. Pantone's offering was highly praised in the review (can't remember if it was in Grafik magazine or one of the many computer arts-type affairs).

Alternatively, I've found a freeware utility referred to in a review of calibration software:

Hit me

If you do plan on getting a hardware unit, let us know and I'll try and dig out the magazine with the review. Best of luck senor.

dave

#2 Re: Laptop screen calibration
January 02, 2007, 09:29:33 pm
i tried to calibrate my laptop screen a while back. needless to say the outcome was i got an old crt to use instead, and then bought a desktop pc. the main problem was that any calibration was only valid for the part of the screen directly perpendicularly in front of me, otherwise it was all over the place. this was a couple of years ago though, i expect laptop screens are better now. the other problem was that all the contrast etc that you want to fuck with were controlled via software rather than twiddling knobs, and it was hard nay impossible to get the screen driver to not fuck with the calibration of it own accord some how. i probbaly just had bad luck though!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal