UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722643 times)

gme

• forum hero
#2800 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 09:16:13 am
Peniche area in portugal is a good place to go. Better than the SW loads of surf camps and schools and very cheap. Cheap flights to Lisbon and they pick you up from the airport.

I have not been to the camps myself but have surfed there a few times. Consistent waves, warm water, sun and cheap beer. There is climbing nearby as well at Sintra but as Chris says they dont go together that well.

Just google Peniche surf camps and there are loads of options.

Most of the SW is a shit fight until the winter.

rich d

• forum hero
#2801 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 09:29:36 am
Peniche looks perfect thanks for the recommendation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2802 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 09:32:32 am
out of those (as I said I'm a complete novice) which would you recommend for an intro, would prefer it to be not too busy too.

Based on a "nice enough" place to base yourself for a few days, plus a reasonably consistent mellow beach break in walking distance of town, I would say Croyde or Bude or maybe Polzeath? Or Sennen if you don't mind the extra drive.

I've not surfed the SW in over 10 years, and was definitely still a newbie, some locals may have better suggestions.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2803 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 09:59:38 am
I'd second the above suggestions.  If you want to get out of the country then Peniche area would be good.  If you want to stay in the UK then the water is pretty much its warmest at the end of September and even in the SW it's started getting a bit quieter by then (admittedly not by Thurso standards gme  ;) ) and there are some good mellow spots with good pub/camping/etc setups.  As above, Bude, Croyde (would recommend Woolacombe next door rather than Croyde for a mellower wave with more space), Polzeath is a good call as its a pretty mellow wave and handles a crowd plus you can go and do Eroica !   Further west, Sennen is a good bet or Gwithian (nice campsite, pub and a surf school)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2804 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 12:16:17 pm
I've not used any surf camps, but if you want to head for the continent, they are by far the most efficient way of progressing if you are time restricted and are happy to spend a bit of money. They will do airport pickup, sort you out with wetsuit and suitable boards (and can move you up to a better board as you progress) will feed you, get you to the beach and back, know what are good spots on a each day for you, make sure you are safe, and possibly do some classroom stuff / video feedback in evenings and feed you with minimum hassle.

Before you go though, and if you have time, it's worth getting in the pool a couple of times and do a load of crawl to get water fitness, and even practice getting to your feet from lying down (popping up - loads of youtube vids) to condition relevant muscles. Nothing worse than finally getting it dialled mentally, but being too tired physically to keep doing it (bit like climbing!)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2805 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 12:23:52 pm
Oh crap. You mean I've got to be able to swim too? ;)

rich d

• forum hero
#2806 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 12:39:03 pm
Oh crap. You mean I've got to be able to swim too? ;)

So I can't train for this on the beastmaker?  :o

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2807 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 02:58:26 pm
You can try, but I'm not sure it's buoyant enough. A polystyrene float is probably better.

Also heed Hong Kong Stueys warning from a few pages back. This surfing shit is addictive.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#2808 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 03:26:48 pm

You can try, but I'm not sure it's buoyant enough. A polystyrene float is probably better.

Also heed Hong Kong Stueys warning from a few pages back. This surfing shit is addictive.

If it's anything like kitesurfing then I'd agree, each small improvement is a milestone and you spend a lot of time checking wind and surf forecasts, tides and booking holidays around the best beaches :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2809 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 04:45:03 pm
getting to the age where I need to try surfing.

Never mind swimming, warm up with a few essential dvds...

Quote from: Point Break
INT. DAY. SOCAL SURF SHOP—FBI AGENT JOHNNY UTAH (Keanu Reeves) is purchasing a garish, first-timer surfboard from a snotty but well-meaning SURF SHOP KID who appears to be seven years old.

Surf Shop Kid: Hey man, a lot of guys your age are learning to surf. It's cool. There's nothing wrong with it.
FBI Agent Johnny Utah: I'm 25!
Surf Shop Kid: That's what I'm saying. It's never too late. Hope you stick with it. Surfing's the source, man. Can change your life. Swear to god

I 'learned' in bloody scarborough when foot&mooth closed the hills. Brown sauce. 

Anywhere on the atlantic coast of europe in sept would fit the bill, though you don't need good surf when you're starting out.

granticus

• forum abuser
#2810 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 04:52:58 pm
North devon wise as Ben suggests better off with Woolacombe, putsborough or saunton loads of room and easier waves to start out on compared with croyde where there is not much room and the wave is steep and fast.
Westward ho! Is similar to saunton.
Widemouth would be the best option down bude way, loads of good bouldering in the vicinity too!  Surf schools operate at all of the above.

Unfortunately surfing isn't something that'll click straight away, so many variables, wave size, wave type, tides, wind direction, swell quality, good conditions can make life a whole lot easier. When you're in the water, it's not just a question of catching a wave, you've got to be in the right place at the right time and able to read what the wave is going to do.  There is a lot to learn beyond the physical skill to paddle, stand up, keep you balance and turn.   Time in water and perseverance reap rewards but when it all clicks it is well worth the effort no feeling like it!

Alas all the main accessible beaches are a zoo in the sw during the summer months.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2811 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2014, 07:31:35 pm
Drive a 150 mile round trip on regular occasions over a number of years, to a blown out onshore hell of endless walls off white water in N Wales, freeze your tits off, smashing your face against endless walls of white water, never managing to get out back, go home completely fucked, and dream about endless walls of white water, wake up strangely happy and go do the same again. One day the white walls appear easier, the wind drops and you're soon out back.. and your turned into a smooth wall of green watching it growing in front of you, knowing that that's where you're about to go. Here endith the pain, eat  :shit: time to  :punk: or something like that. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2812 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2014, 06:05:48 am

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2813 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2014, 08:12:58 am
nice pic - that reminds me of a film I saw last month, North of the Sun, anyone here seen it?
Two Norwegian surfers spent several months living on a remote beach, surfing and just surviving in the cold really..

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/north-of-the-sun-two-norwegians-go-surfing-on-a-freezing-beach-20140427-37bzj.html

gme

• forum hero
#2814 Re: One for the surfers
May 01, 2014, 08:16:02 am
I think its from Cradle of storms. Looks a great film and cant wait to see it.

North of the sun is fantastic as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2815 Re: One for the surfers
May 21, 2014, 02:30:29 pm
Wave garden for Snowdonia - wonder if it will make the waves busier or quieter in the long term?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27488485

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2816 Re: One for the surfers
May 21, 2014, 10:33:45 pm
I guess it'll be just like climbing walls. Not much change at the decent breaks, but the shit bolted breaks will be rammed.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#2817 Re: One for the surfers
May 25, 2014, 08:56:15 am
looking for a 2nd hand board (5'10 x 20). something along the lines of like a Rusty T-Dwart.
anyone selling anything like this or know where i can look

philo

• forum hero
#2818 Re: One for the surfers
May 25, 2014, 12:10:55 pm
Get a al merrick neck beard, had mine for a year and its the best board I've owned.   5'8x19 3/4, plenty of float still.  Also have a 5'11x 20 wizard sleeve pin tail that's good on big days.  Magic seaweed forums often have second hand boards as does secret spot.

http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewforum.php?f=7

second hand section on secret spot:

http://www.secretspot.co.uk/surfboards/second-handused/

gme

• forum hero
#2819 Re: One for the surfers
May 25, 2014, 03:52:38 pm
 You will pay a lot for rusty and merrick in uk even second hand. Probably cheaper to get a new one shaped by a local surfer. You could get a new one for 300 notes.
These short wide boards are the dogs however for average uk beach breaks. I surf a 5.10 dumpster diver 90% of the time now. Easiest board I have ever ridden in waist to head and half sloppy beaches. Not great on steeper reef type waves though.
I would have gone uk but I got it second hand off a mate who was back from America.

Duma

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2821 Re: One for the surfers
June 10, 2014, 02:52:34 pm
http://www.driftsurfing.eu/index.php/archives/12600#more-12600

Nice bit of writing - although I've never had to surf Scabs, I guess it applies to many spots along the east coast.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#2822 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2014, 10:37:03 am
I throw myself on the mercy of the UKB surfing massive it being many months since my last confession…..

Thinking of heading to Portugal in September for a some swell fun.  Anyone have any suggestions for me and the missus?  Neither of us any great shakes but have seen some pretty dismissive reviews on Magicseaweed of some Portugese surf spots so was hoping to cut through the bullshit.  Been looking at Ericeria if that helps!  Cheers all!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2823 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2014, 10:56:29 am
Will you be hiring a car and / or equipment? Not been to Ericieira, but it looks like a good option. gme can fill you in with details.

Reminds me, Duma I still owe you some info?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#2824 Re: One for the surfers
June 16, 2014, 11:51:59 am
Probably take body boards with us, could hire car - MagicS were reyt sniffy about Ericeiria!  But what do they know….

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal