UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722675 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2575 Re: One for the surfers
June 03, 2012, 10:12:28 pm
Awful today mind; pissing rain and force 5 easterlies. Fingers crossed for the morning...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2576 Re: One for the surfers
June 04, 2012, 08:47:52 am
Nigg bay looked good this morning, as I drove past on the way to the office. Or fucking office as I like to call it.

Hopefully tonight. And tomorrow dawnie and tomorrow night if my arms can take it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2577 Re: One for the surfers
June 04, 2012, 11:00:25 am
Decent again this morning, glassy, if a tad small. Starting to feel like I've had my money's worth from that board Chris!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2578 Re: One for the surfers
June 04, 2012, 11:06:40 am
Good man! It does well in a surprising variety of waves once you get it dialled.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2579 Re: One for the surfers
June 04, 2012, 11:21:49 am
Yeah its great, you can catch pretty much anything the logmen can, though I've struggled a bit on steeper waves. Finally spending more time on the green than in the foam this weekend though!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2580 Re: One for the surfers
June 04, 2012, 11:56:20 am
Nice. I never really took it out on anything majorly hollow or steep, but rode it in shoulder / head high beach breaks on N Uist and had some great surfs on the reefy point at Banff.

clm

• forum hero
#2581 Re: One for the surfers
June 05, 2012, 08:49:21 am

Gwenvor, saturday morning.

clm

• forum hero
#2582 Re: One for the surfers
June 05, 2012, 08:53:37 am
...and again. I went left.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2583 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 05:16:54 am
After a monster storm off the coast - this was the result in manly. A 12 foot swell and 20 foot waves

Big Wednesday

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2584 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 08:31:44 am
clm - how good was Saturday eh. Surfed Gwithian and then Porthtowan in the evening which was just amazing as the crowds dropped and it glassed off. Bet Gwenvor was all time

if you're still down this way I reckon Porthmeor might be on today

granticus

• forum abuser
#2585 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 02:24:16 pm
Nice, where are you Granticus?

North Devon :wave: 

Nice to have waves after the most epic flat spell I can remember.  Getting pysched for Friday looking at the cheeky little low that is approaching.  Day off work, current swell prediction and wind direction is very favourable for somewhere nice that no one goes to or knows about.
Too remote, too fickle, too secret for folk to bother.. :bounce: 
Fingers crossed it all comes good.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2586 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 03:18:02 pm
After an epic (traffic) drive down on sat, caught neigal just at on high tide, perfect for getting it on the turn. About 3 foot, fairly clean, quality dusk session. Need to get back in practice, after 4 hours I was totally ended  :chair:. Well worth the trip though. Did you get in on sat Jonny Brown?

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2587 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 05:13:46 pm
Getting pysched for Friday looking at the cheeky little low that is approaching.  Day off work, current swell prediction and wind direction is very favourable for somewhere nice that no one goes to or knows about.

must be a well kept secret if it works on a westerly in N. Devon!  i reckon tomorrow is going to be the better day wind wise..

Granticus - talking of North Devon.. had a session at Hartland a couple of weeks back, thought all the problems on the Clinical Edge block were pretty soft for 7B, non ?  (i.e. I got up two of them.. assuming I was doing them right)

granticus

• forum abuser
#2588 Re: One for the surfers
June 06, 2012, 06:09:46 pm
Getting pysched for Friday looking at the cheeky little low that is approaching.  Day off work, current swell prediction and wind direction is very favourable for somewhere nice that no one goes to or knows about.

must be a well kept secret if it works on a westerly in N. Devon!  i reckon tomorrow is going to be the better day wind wise..

Granticus - talking of North Devon.. had a session at Hartland a couple of weeks back, thought all the problems on the Clinical Edge block were pretty soft for 7B, non ?  (i.e. I got up two of them.. assuming I was doing them right)
  A very well kept secret and might not even be in N.Devon or is it???!!

If you did Clinical Edge, I'd say that was pretty soft if you get your feet sorted. I'm also presuming you did Me Julie (named after my wife!) which (as is not mentioned in Dave Westlife's guide) is a proper SIT START (ie. no crouching, squating, pushing of the floor with the other hand etc...) You pull off your bum on side pulls just right of CE, with feet on poor smears...  It's not so soft for the grade if done properly.  If you did it this way and found it soft, I am impressed :bow:

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2589 Re: One for the surfers
June 07, 2012, 09:57:54 am
If you did Clinical Edge, I'd say that was pretty soft if you get your feet sorted. I'm also presuming you did Me Julie (named after my wife!) which (as is not mentioned in Dave Westlife's guide) is a proper SIT START (ie. no crouching, squating, pushing of the floor with the other hand etc...) You pull off your bum on side pulls just right of CE, with feet on poor smears...  It's not so soft for the grade if done properly.  If you did it this way and found it soft, I am impressed :bow:
to be honest i think i did CE right and that took me 10-15 goes so felt about right for 7a ish. The other one I did was Egg Nishna but think i probably did it wrong. Started LH sidepull, RH big flatty, RH up to small crimp, then LH to jug then top

couldn't do Me Julie ;)  for this I was starting  with the above LH sidepull for the RH to start and then another sidepull for LH about 1.5ft in from CE arete ?

granticus

• forum abuser
#2590 Re: One for the surfers
June 07, 2012, 07:52:27 pm
to be honest i think i did CE right and that took me 10-15 goes so felt about right for 7a ish. The other one I did was Egg Nishna but think i probably did it wrong. Started LH sidepull, RH big flatty, RH up to small crimp, then LH to jug then top

couldn't do Me Julie ;)  for this I was starting  with the above LH sidepull for the RH to start and then another sidepull for LH about 1.5ft in from CE arete ?

I reckon 7a+ for Clinical Edge might be a fair grade, it does have one pretty hard move which req

granticus

• forum abuser
#2591 Re: One for the surfers
June 07, 2012, 08:13:04 pm
Don't know what happened there try again.........

I reckon 7a+ for Clinical Edge might be a fair grade, it does have one pretty hard move which requires that extra bit of commitment but the rest of the moves are OK..   

As for Egg Nishna (according to Simon Young this is Australian for air conditioner!) your description sounds like something else - this problem is further right on the block and is a sitter..

Me Julie is a tough nut to crack :-[   Sit start just right of Clinical Edge there is an obvious line of slightly angled side pulls one above the other, utilise these with both hands, left foot pasted on smear near the arete, right on more smeary nothingness.  Once established on the higher side pull you make a burly move out right to a sloper with an edge above it, the edge is better but harder to reach (bump again or go direct), then left hand goes up into an obvious undercutty sidepull, the rest is a doddle.  The sequence of hands on the side pulls seems to be key but different sequences work for different people.  IMHO it's harder than CE and is soft 7b.

:offtopic: sorry folks...  Tonight I'll be mostly watching http://www.volcomfijipro.com/

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2592 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2012, 08:28:05 am
ok lets go with 7a+ for CE, it sounds like I wasn't climbing EggNishna at all (was doing a sitter but obviously not far enough R) and was doing MeJulie right but couldn't do the burly move out R from the higher sidepull.. so soft 7b sounds right   :strongbench:

sorry yes  :offtopic:   back on topic, more epic waves yesterday, kegs galore although i never made it out of one.

Here's a pic from PT on Saturday, looks positively tropical

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=265931&browseSession=8d1684a8610edbe994e5a5cfcd6ccab4
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:34:20 am by ben »

gme

• forum hero
#2593 Re: One for the surfers
June 08, 2012, 08:57:23 am
I stayed up until 1am to watch the Fiji pro only for them to cancel after two heats. It was massive and a bit bumpy but they should have kept it running. Cleaned up later so i guess they made a wrong decision.

Dont know how to embed a picture from facebook but this is what they missed later.

http://www.connect.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150878056992058&set=a.10150102976342058.276930.81269622057&type=1&ref=nf

granticus

• forum abuser
#2594 Re: One for the surfers
June 09, 2012, 10:43:20 pm
I stayed up until 1am to watch the Fiji pro only for them to cancel after two heats. It was massive and a bit bumpy but they should have kept it running. Cleaned up later so i guess they made a wrong decision.

Dont know how to embed a picture from facebook but this is what they missed later.

http://www.connect.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150878056992058&set=a.10150102976342058.276930.81269622057&type=1&ref=nf
Did the same - stayed up for 2 heats... went to bed and missed this  :jaw: http://www.volcomfijipro.com/video/day-3-highlights-volcom-fiji-pro-2012/

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2595 Re: One for the surfers
June 10, 2012, 12:39:00 pm
Wow... Wow wow.  Gobsmacking

clm

• forum hero
#2596 Re: One for the surfers
June 10, 2012, 01:00:38 pm
Awesome. Check someone / thing going over the falls at 1.40 odd. Hopefully a bit if weed. Otherwise someone got a hell of a ride.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2597 Re: One for the surfers
June 10, 2012, 06:50:13 pm
oh my god  (note no use of the acronym OMG..), palm sweating..  it's like reading about Honnolds solo exploits

granticus

• forum abuser
#2598 Re: One for the surfers
June 14, 2012, 03:27:57 pm
Right on cue..  A similar storm system to this time last week arrives on the same day, it seems the jet stream is favourable for surfing SW sheltered spots this year.   :great:

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2599 Re: One for the surfers
June 14, 2012, 03:56:08 pm
Right on cue..  A similar storm system to this time last week arrives on the same day, it seems the jet stream is favourable for surfing SW sheltered spots this year.   :great:

Yeah man  :bounce: 

im banking too on some sheltered spots this weekend, llyn pen might just be kicking off 2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal