• forum hero
#2475 Re: One for the surfers
February 29, 2012, 10:02:21 pm
Salford quays

granticus

• forum abuser
#2476 Re: One for the surfers
February 29, 2012, 11:27:51 pm
Pools irritate me too, but like climbing walls are a necessary evil.

I sometimes take my longboard out for a paddle on sunny flat days on the coast near our house. I make sure no-one sees me walking down with it though, and wouldn't do it at a beach where anyone would see me, as I would either get daft questions or feel a bit daft dappling out on a flat day. I think on inland waters I would feel silly.

Not a fan of pool training either, just find it tedious.  Seem to do OK (surf fitness wise) just getting in the water when there's the opportunity and the waves are half decent.  I guess the probability of half decent waves throughout the year is higher here than east side though.  When I do surf, I'm also prone to surfing until I'm beasted and then surfing some more  :bounce: which probably helps with the fitness. 

Mrs Granticus has booked a posh hotel in Newquay for us this weekend to reward me for being a good dad :ang:
Not really sure what to expect as I've always avoided the place but I'm assured that I am 'allowed' to surf in the mornings and should be able to roll out of bed into a wetsuit straight to the beach.  Forecast is looking strong.  I'm assuming things aren't gonna be any worse than Croyde on a busy day but if anyone has any beta (other than 'go somewhere else') would be appreciated. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2477 Re: One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 12:13:14 am
Pools irritate me. Anyone ever considered doing some long paddle on inland water just for fitness? Or would I look silly?

Jason Myers used to paddle upstream on the Derwent nr Matlock to get fit.  Wearing a vest and Ron Hills and eating Spam from the tin between reps.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2478 One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 07:14:54 am
Pools irritate me too, but like climbing walls are a necessary evil.

I sometimes take my longboard out for a paddle on sunny flat days on the coast near our house. I make sure no-one sees me walking down with it though, and wouldn't do it at a beach where anyone would see me, as I would either get daft questions or feel a bit daft dappling out on a flat day. I think on inland waters I would feel silly.

Not a fan of pool training either, just find it tedious.  Seem to do OK (surf fitness wise) just getting in the water when there's the opportunity and the waves are half decent.  I guess the probability of half decent waves throughout the year is higher here than east side though.  When I do surf, I'm also prone to surfing until I'm beasted and then surfing some more  :bounce: which probably helps with the fitness. 

Mrs Granticus has booked a posh hotel in Newquay for us this weekend to reward me for being a good dad :ang:
Not really sure what to expect as I've always avoided the place but I'm assured that I am 'allowed' to surf in the mornings and should be able to roll out of bed into a wetsuit straight to the beach.  Forecast is looking strong.  I'm assuming things aren't gonna be any worse than Croyde on a busy day but if anyone has any beta (other than 'go somewhere else') would be appreciated.

I come from Wadebridge.

I wish to make clear.

There is no such thing as a posh hotel in Newquay! ;) ;) :):)

More seriously, did anyone else see the BBC docu on exercise on Tuesday night? Seems to be real evidence that 1 (one) minutes very intense exercise per week, has a very profound effect on overall fitness; with the implication that we may be overdoing it...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2479 Re: One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 08:58:06 am
I'm assuming things aren't gonna be any worse than Croyde on a busy day but if anyone has any beta (other than 'go somewhere else') would be appreciated.

This time of year it shouldn't be too ridiculous, but expect a higher percentage of "I'm the best surfer on this beach" types. If it is bad, Mawgan Porth and Watergate Bay are only 5 and 10 mins up the road and much less busy.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#2480 One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 09:08:46 am
+1 on Watergate.
Although I've no idea how the sand is lying, there is almost always a good peak somewhere along that two miles of beach at most states of tide (except high springs). Worth taking a gander from the cliffs north of the valley, when the tide is high; as there are often breaks cut off from the main beach by the tide, that can be accessed by mountain goat paths from the coast path. Many a blissfully quiet day spent there in my youth...

granticus

• forum abuser
#2481 Re: One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 09:20:44 am
Cheers folks.

Let's call it a slightly less down market hotel then. :-[

So basically I'll avoid Fistral unless I feel like tolerating some oversized egos. 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#2482 One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 10:02:10 am
And Nigel Semmens dropping in on you. Since he owns the beach(?).

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2483 Re: One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 02:57:41 pm
granticus - other options not far away as the others have mentioned.  However to be honest this time of year its not that bad even at Fistral.. at a lower state of tide there's numerous peaks from South->North->Little and if you're in early bird it won't be that busy (relatively speaking of course)  If you can surf (which you blatently can) you'll get plenty a waves

good bouldering at the north end below the headland hotel too, PM me if you want some pointers, although looking at the surf forecast you'll be in the sea :-)

granticus

• forum abuser
#2484 Re: One for the surfers
March 01, 2012, 10:05:45 pm
Cheers Ben.... Leaving the chalk and rock shoes at home! 

Had a lovely surf at Croyde today, not glassy more oily, sod all people in the water and perfect waves.

Looking v.good tommorow and looking at the wind predictions I think I'll probably be surfing round the corner from Fistral on Saturday.

And Nigel Semmens dropping in on you. Since he owns the beach(?).
  :wank:  I can imagine that being 'surf city' UK that Newquay attracts some oversized egos and shitty attitudes.  Which is why I've never bothered before.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2485 Re: One for the surfers
March 02, 2012, 10:28:07 am
you're right, big egos and hype and attitude.. all things that go along with crowds - which aren't too bad this time of year. I've always avoided Fistral for these reasons but to be fair the few times I have surfed it it has been very good, there's no denying when the banks are good its as a good a beachbreak as any in the UK

chris05

• forum abuser
#2486 Re: One for the surfers
March 02, 2012, 12:35:32 pm
Thinking of heading over to the Gower tomorrow morning for sat and sun, the forecast looks quite good but the winds are onshore. Would anyone like to take a guess whether it will be worth the four hour drive each way?! Usually go to Pembroke but trying to cut down the driving time (Devon and Cornwall are out for the same reason).

Cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2487 Re: One for the surfers
March 02, 2012, 01:46:55 pm
If MSW is to be believed, I'm not sure about swell being big enough tomorrow, but Sunday i reckon the swell should be big enough to get round to the south facing beaches, where they will be sheltered or the wind will be offshore. Head to Llangenith first to confirm it is actually unsurfable and if it is check out Horton and Oxwich which can have a small but surfable wave. If swell is big enough I have seen surfers in Fall Bay and Mewslade when I've been climbing there, but it's a bit of a walk. Worth having a decent roadmap or OS as I'm not sure these places are marked on all atlases.

(I think these are all in Stormrider's so I'm not stepping on any toes!)

Baron

• obsessive maniac

philo

• forum hero
#2489 Re: One for the surfers
March 03, 2012, 09:56:46 pm
begins with a S i think?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2490 Re: One for the surfers
March 03, 2012, 09:58:07 pm
Stonehaven ;)

philo

• forum hero
#2491 Re: One for the surfers
March 03, 2012, 10:17:22 pm
haha yeah I was joking, that video which features has gone.  On a side note, I was out this morning for an enjoyable few hours but it was one of those days where you expect it to be gash and if its waist high then its better than you thought

granticus

• forum abuser
#2492 Re: One for the surfers
March 04, 2012, 08:15:02 pm
Got back from Newquay this evening.

Oldmanmatt - You were right about there being no posh hotels in Newquay :lol:

Surfed Fizzy on Friday and had a fun session, didn't experience anything untoward other than lots of beginners in the water.

However, the highlight of my weekend was Saturday morning, Fizzy big and blown out by SWerlies.  Snuck around the corner to Towan and surfed harbour lefts to myself for an hour, eventually joined by a Saffa who surfed well (very chatty and friendly) and a not so good bloke who was either intimidated, antisocial or mute.  Had lots of fun waves and loved the hug the wall take offs!  Traded waves with the Saffa until the tide got too full, he said it is normally a break that is teaming with local groms and you'd be lucky to catch a wave but apparently they don't do mornings!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2493 Re: One for the surfers
March 04, 2012, 08:23:25 pm
Name that wave (joke).

http://magicseaweed.com/Britains-Coldest-Waves-Content/3706/
Jesuschrist!!! Those are great waves!!! Pipeline-esque!!!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2494 Re: One for the surfers
March 04, 2012, 08:23:31 pm
Mate getting tucked in at fizzy last week. He has just been on a trip to Chili and had crap waves. Came home and got that....

philo

• forum hero
#2495 Re: One for the surfers
March 05, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
no gloves already?  is he wearing boots?  Bastards

gme

• forum hero
#2496 Re: One for the surfers
March 22, 2012, 12:46:47 pm
Wave after wave after wave. 10 days in the mentawais nearly to an end, only 1 more day of perfect glassy perfection before we head home.

I saw and rode waves today that were pretty much perfect. If you wrote down what you wanted out of a wave just to have fun on, not to scare you or test your ability, theres plenty of them about, i would have written down what i have surfed for 6 hours solid today.

I am burnt to a frazzle, my shoulders hurt beyond what an gym can do and have ulcerating cuts in my knees and chest but the biggest smile on my face ever.

If you get a chance get your selves to Kandui Resort in the Mentawais, paradise indeed.

Will post pics next week when i am back in blighty.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#2497 Re: One for the surfers
March 22, 2012, 02:48:34 pm
gme - wow.. look forward to the pics (I think). I was about to gloat about my nice lunchtime session today in Cornwall, headhigh and offshore, but you've stolen my thunder somewhat (plus it was backing off and being weird so wasn't that great)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2498 Re: One for the surfers
March 25, 2012, 07:12:34 pm
Hope all you West Coasters got some this weekend. It looked mint on the webcams in Abersoch.  I was in London, very nice and all that but I'm envious of those that made it to the beach.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2499 Re: One for the surfers
March 25, 2012, 08:15:36 pm
Crikey, webcam pics from this morning look epic!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal