UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722778 times)

gme

• forum hero
#2325 Re: One for the surfers
October 04, 2011, 02:32:29 pm
main event should start tomorrow, with the weekend looking classic for the finals.

gme

• forum hero
#2326 Re: One for the surfers
October 05, 2011, 08:57:57 am
Comp on today.

http://quiksilverlive.com/profrance2011/liveHD.en.html

Looks nice but a bit mellow, probably the tide. Hopefully starts barelling once tide swings.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2327 Re: One for the surfers
October 08, 2011, 10:18:03 pm
The early bird gets the worms! In water by 7:30, me and two mates in and two others. Gorgeous sunrise, think we were the only ones who saw the sun today. And made most of low tide to score some great long rights, and a couple of short lefts. By the time I got out at just before 10 there were 20 folk in squabbling over short closeouts on the beachbreak. Got GoPro out for a change so got somegood footage too. Life is good. Looks like they had good conditions for the Gathering up at Fraserburgh too.

philo

• forum hero
#2328 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2011, 02:13:43 pm
headed out to my local spot with my mates as it sticks out and caught some good waves this morning and pushing through mid tide. 
yesterday was pretty good too.  Managed to fuck my hand skating and needed to put my gloves on to give my wrist stability.  A few duck dives and head freeze kicking in- eek its getting colder

gme

• forum hero
#2329 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2011, 04:01:00 pm
Best day of the year yesterday. I only got an hour and half before having to dash to a wedding. Proper stand up straight barrels. Got in at dark and by the time I got out there were nearly 20 in. Still got 4 good waves and a couple of proper floggings. Lip launched on a double over head one was pretty exciting.

Will yet again all over next months mags as 8 pros up from pastie land. Richie sills , olly Adams, johnny fryer, Tom butler plus others.  Water photog there to record all.

Olly got hurt after I left hitting the slab.

Heavy,  board snapping, hollow perfection. Here comes the winter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2330 Re: One for the surfers
October 09, 2011, 08:49:05 pm
Did you have a good sunrise too gme?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2331 Re: One for the surfers
October 10, 2011, 10:27:34 am

Mates greeting the dawn. Yes they know they look like plums.

ianto9

• player
#2332 Re: One for the surfers
October 13, 2011, 01:30:40 am
 can't upload a pic nevermind i'll enjoy it myself,picture! perfect female reverse hangten on chesthigh wave.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:54:39 am by ianto9 »

philo

• forum hero

philo

• forum hero
#2334 Re: One for the surfers
October 22, 2011, 05:37:09 pm
had a few days of northeast heavy waves.  Surfed a reef point on thursday  and friday night getting barreled most waves. I love the strong powerful waves that get chucked up into a small take off zone, couple of paddles and a steep drop into a cover up straight away.  this morning I went through saltburn and it was waist to chest high but pretty rubbish, the wave is so slow off the beach, should have traveled the extra hour to the xxx or xxxxx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:57:51 pm by shark, Reason: modified at users request »

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2335 Re: One for the surfers
October 23, 2011, 09:08:36 pm

whilst they're hardly secrets the convention is not to name G&S on open forums.

(this post is straight outa yorkshire, gwan where's that point?  :-\)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:15:56 pm by johnx2 »

clm

• forum hero
#2336 Re: One for the surfers
October 23, 2011, 09:55:37 pm
You shittin me? I've got at least two surf guides from like...erm...waterstones or amazon or summat which name them both. It's hardly like that posts gonna make a difference.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2337 Re: One for the surfers
October 23, 2011, 10:21:21 pm
Top secret as far as I can tell.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Staithes
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/The-Gare

Had my first experience of wave-rage today though luckily no one was in earshot.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#2338 Re: One for the surfers
October 23, 2011, 11:18:37 pm
Missed Thursday(Scarborough points were cranking apparently), but managed to get out of work early and in at Saltburn behind the pier by Friday tea time. Solid 4ft/5ft on sets and steeper, hollower and faster than usual. Great session. Back there again on Saturday morning but swell had dropped to 2ft sets. Still fun on a single fin 7ft magic carpet.

Anyway, SSE swell due to hit tomorrow, but where to go? South Park (Bay)? Filey? Brid? Any advice appreciated team.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2339 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 09:51:47 am
You shittin me? I've got at least two surf guides from like...erm...waterstones or amazon or summat which name them both. It's hardly like that posts gonna make a difference.

Sure they're well known but they're not in Stormrider; MagicSeaweed doesn't forecast and deletes
any reference from its forums. There is on-line info for anyone who looks for it. (Though if a near local and clearly far better surfer than me thinks there's fraction of a chance  that one of them might've worked on a dying northerly then that info still has someway to diffuse.) 

But all forums has a lot of lurkers, I should know. This thread will have casual readers. There's just no need to go naming sensitive spots and bit by bit getting the info out there.  As I say if a couple fo the posts up above had been on msw they'd've been modded off in no time.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2340 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 12:02:38 pm
Baron, I've surfed the point at Saltburn (rh end of beach looking out) on a SE'erly.  It was a good right hander..

philo

• forum hero
#2341 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 03:04:37 pm
aye fair enough, though theres always 20-30 in anyways, can someone edit my post and rename it to s and g

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#2342 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 05:07:03 pm
Aye, the point rules. Tried to get on it a couple of weekends ago but the cross shore wind/rip took us straight out of the line up and in to the impact zone. Got some beauties on the head. Went back to the beach after that.

philo

• forum hero
#2343 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 05:19:29 pm
ive surfed that right point too but its a bit of a paddle out when its big.  surfed it more on an east but the south east with the wind tomorrow might actually make it viable.  the cliffs offer some shelter anyways

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2344 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 06:11:18 pm
I'm on a hiding to nothing here I know...  Of course this isn't remotely secret, it's just another quality non-beginner Yorks wave that's conditions dependent, still off most people's radar and can't handle much of a crowd (though for Salty beach, S. Bay, Filey or Brid go for it by all means...)

It's doing my head to come here for the cryptics thread and see detailed discussion of what sensitive Yorkshire spot's going to
 be working when on a popular - check the page views - open, googlable forum.  I get that not everyone's going to get this, and I'm not exactly enforcer material having been drummed out of the brownies for cowardice (actually where's gme?), but it's just best not to do it for reasons that would take as long to explain as any climbing bloody ethics. There's always pm.   

I'd head for Northumberland's sweet spots on an SE'ly anyway  :whistle:.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2345 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 06:22:24 pm
I take your point John but this is a wave that's visible from, and on the same beach as Saltburn pier which after Scarborough must be the most popular spots on the East Coast.  But you're right, a PM would've been best.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2346 Re: One for the surfers
October 24, 2011, 07:00:47 pm
Great conditions on the Lleyn at the 'secret spot' where the sand whistles today.

granticus

• forum abuser
#2347 Re: One for the surfers
October 25, 2011, 01:49:16 pm
Great to hear that the NE has been getting some juice recently, very interesting to hear debate about naming 'secret' spots etc..  IMHO The thing about openly discussing and naming the more well known 'secrets' (particularly on t'interweb) is that more people that, perhaps, shouldn't be anywhere near them get to know about them and try to surf them.

Anyhow....... 10ft at 17secs  :jaw: is forecast for N Devon on Sunday, I know where I'd normally be headed for and I won't be naming it.  Alas, I have a Welsh family gathering to attend in everyone's favourite sea-side resort Port Talbot.  Always seem to miss waves when I go up there, so excited to see what's on offer (inside the breakwater???!!)...

clm

• forum hero
#2348 Re: One for the surfers
October 25, 2011, 03:41:27 pm
Great conditions on the Lleyn at the 'secret spot' where the sand whistles today.

Not just great, effin amazing.

Great to hear that the NE has been getting some juice recently, very interesting to hear debate about naming 'secret' spots etc..  IMHO The thing about openly discussing and naming the more well known 'secrets' (particularly on t'interweb) is that more people that, perhaps, shouldn't be anywhere near them get to know about them and try to surf them

Good point, i just didnt understand his concern when the examples mentioned are in books, with photos, grid refs, access notes, conditions info etc etc. Secret?

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2349 Re: One for the surfers
October 25, 2011, 05:36:57 pm
Who said secret? I'm saying no need to promote them further. And thanks Shark for editing.

I'll explain my concerns if you really want...

I know where I'd normally be headed for and I won't be naming it.

No, no, you must feel free to discuss SW spots in as much detail as possible.... :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal