UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722680 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2175 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:03:51 am
I'm no East Coast expert but Scarb S seems like the obvious first port of call but if it looks to be struggling to handle wind / size, I think Filey Bay gets a bit more shelter and might be worth a look. I've never been to either in any great swell though.

If you are going by MSW, waves are often smaller and wind lighter than forecast, but look to be dropping through the day.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#2176 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:11:33 am
now I know sweet feck all about surfing but a guy I work with is a big enthusiast, I gather he's off to his local spot at Cayton(?) Bay on the east coast this sunday morning, 8ft swell apparently.

chris05

• forum abuser
#2177 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:18:03 am
I'm also thinking of heading up on Sunday so interested to hear any other suggestions. Anybody else think Filey might be a good bet?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2178 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:27:25 am
Those nice people at secret spot wrote this about Sunday :

Well the charts are showing some massive surf  today in excess of 8ft (double overhead) with a 10 second period this is looking to be the most powerful swell we've seen in the last year with first light seeing the swell max out. Sadly even if we have lighter winds early on (unlikely) the tiny tides will stop the point breaks that need big high and low's from working so once again it looks like South Bay will be the best option to hide from the size and winds. Although the most likely wind direction will be  straight Northerly following the swell, we might get lucky and see some brief periods of NW which is cross offshore this might open up a few other spots, fingers crossed...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2179 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:36:45 am
Whatever it is, it's going to be heaving if word is going around. I would have thought mega early would be best bet, and just hope for breaks in the wind.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2180 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 11:37:14 am
Dobbin, Sth Bay is probably your best bet. It looks like it'll be windy but get in there anyway.  The bay is more sheltered and the wave/peaks get progressively smaller towards the town/harbour end of the beach.

Just remember to watch for a good 15-20 mins or so before suiting up and paddling straight out, count the sets & intervals and look for an easy way out and back in.  Have fun!

Idol eyes

• junky
#2181 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 11:38:36 am
Yeah! All of you have a good one, KILL IT!

philo

• forum hero
#2182 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:14:56 pm
your right regarding the crowds chris, it will be chocka where ever is working.  Off a northern wind, saltburn could be a good option too, though Im guessing it will be like a slalom course.  Got a bit of a horseshoe point near where I live that should be empty, wont be as good as scarbs/saltburn

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#2183 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:17:39 pm
S E Australia was hit by huge swells two weekends ago, up to 18 metres down around Southern Tasmania (Shipstern) on a couple of days and up to 8 metres at our most famous local breaks here in Victoria (Bell's Beach and Johanna) - with offshore winds as well!  I've got a supplier at work who's pretty useful on a board and he's nursing some nasty bruises and mourning the loss of his favourite board after picking the wrong wave to catch earlier on the day this footage was taken.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2184 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:28:08 pm
I'll be the gay on tray by the pumphouse in cayton sunday   :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2185 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:31:51 pm
S E Australia was hit by huge swells two weekends ago, up to 18 metres down around Southern Tasmania (Shipstern) on a couple of days and up to 8 metres at our most famous local breaks here in Victoria (Bell's Beach and Johanna) - with offshore winds as well!  I've got a supplier at work who's pretty useful on a board and he's nursing some nasty bruises and mourning the loss of his favourite board after picking the wrong wave to catch earlier on the day this footage was taken.

"It's the hundred year storm"

"We'll get him when he comes back in"
"He's not coming back"

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2186 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:42:19 pm

"It's the hundred year storm"

"We'll get him when he comes back in"
"He's not coming back"

100% Utah

young, dumb and full of come, you're a real blue flame special arnt you son?

its not a tragedy to die doing what you love

I really love this groundrush shit

I bet you lied to me about your parents

they are pulling out a fucking arsenal

I know that flm so well you can start it at any point... and I can tell you the next line :punk:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2187 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 01:45:01 pm
You some quarterback punk or something?

gme

• forum hero
#2188 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 02:41:35 pm
Swell has arrived. Starting to show lines between the chop and a ridable bump on a few of the reefs.

I am looking forward to it but not the crowds, however the wind is not great unless your in the know. Tides really not good either, if it had been last weekend it would have been epic but its one of the smallest tides of the year which always makes things a bit wierd and my favorite spots need a lower tide to get good.

I will be mostly hiding from people the best i can.

Glad i am not going to Yorkshire.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2189 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 02:51:16 pm
Biggest swell since winter hits NE the weekend we break up for 6 weeks. And it's light offshore on MONDAY! WEDNESDAY

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#2190 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 06:26:20 pm
Yep, has changed, although as I'm off work for the next 6 weeks (did I mention that?)...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2191 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 09:59:52 pm
......... you mught get in the water once or twice. Shame you don't get summer holidays in midwinter.

philo

• forum hero
#2192 Re: One for the surfers
July 22, 2011, 10:16:14 pm
sunderland beach today, shoulder high lefts, a lot of close outs. tomorrow dawnie

philo

• forum hero
#2193 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2011, 01:28:44 pm
Got in today around half six, caught some decent sized clean waves that were over head high, only me and my mate out through sunderland.  I hate beach breaks when its biggish, plenty of paddling and a few excellent wipe outs in water that was a disgusting brown.
The shore was littered with debris from the storm, crab pots, huge seaweed strands attached to brick sized rocks.

When I got out I took a couple of photos, clean offshore 8-10ft on the sets, hard to tell the size from the photos but its around 8ft

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2194 Re: One for the surfers
July 24, 2011, 02:09:23 pm
Nice one. Main beaches blown out here, sheltered spots either too sheltered or just a mess. Will hopefully improve tonight, tomorrow morning and tomorrow evening.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#2195 Re: One for the surfers
July 25, 2011, 09:10:41 am
They were actually surfing some nice 2 footers inside Sydney Harbour on Friday. Ferry to work was a giggle I can tell you.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2196 Re: One for the surfers
July 26, 2011, 05:18:17 am
After a week of huge swells that were completely unridable, the weather finally cleared last weekend and the wind gods smiled

Manly last saturday -

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=9215#ooid=txdWFvMjqE6kbwgjwER0vOjRTIwzNdr7

gme

• forum hero
#2197 Re: One for the surfers
July 26, 2011, 09:14:47 am
Well this weekend has to be one of the most over hyped swells ever and one that produced little. I am surprised that MSW didn't crash due to the no. of people logging onto it.

I have never seen as many vans up my way before, all dossing in the farmers fields, tents up everywhere and one prick from Cardiff even thought it was a good idea to drive through the field to park closer to the reef.
Sat and Sunday were pretty much blown out other than the sheltered spots but the swell wasn't good enough to get them working properly, they were surfable but far from good. I suspect south bay was rammed.
Monday was better before the wind got up, but by 4.30 am there were already 20 people in the water up here. Was a bit lumpy 4-5 ft but the neap tides stopped everything working properly, nice to get into some head and half waves with grunt but nothing like it was hyped to be. By 8am the wind got up and turn everything into mush.
Estimating the number of vans from cornwall and Devon (6), adding in the three from wales, one from Brighton, two from Leeds and five from newcastle i would guess well over 10000 miles worth of diesel was used for around an average of 10 good waves each just on the spot I surf. Round about £10 per wave.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2198 Re: One for the surfers
July 26, 2011, 09:18:37 am
Hopefully they won't bother again.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2199 Re: One for the surfers
July 26, 2011, 09:23:20 am
Well this weekend has to be one of the most over hyped swells ever and one that produced little. I am surprised that MSW didn't crash due to the no. of people logging onto it.

I have never seen as many vans up my way before, all dossing in the farmers fields, tents up everywhere and one prick from Cardiff even thought it was a good idea to drive through the field to park closer to the reef.
Sat and Sunday were pretty much blown out other than the sheltered spots but the swell wasn't good enough to get them working properly, they were surfable but far from good. I suspect south bay was rammed.
Monday was better before the wind got up, but by 4.30 am there were already 20 people in the water up here. Was a bit lumpy 4-5 ft but the neap tides stopped everything working properly, nice to get into some head and half waves with grunt but nothing like it was hyped to be. By 8am the wind got up and turn everything into mush.
Estimating the number of vans from cornwall and Devon (6), adding in the three from wales, one from Brighton, two from Leeds and five from newcastle i would guess well over 10000 miles worth of diesel was used for around an average of 10 good waves each just on the spot I surf. Round about £10 per wave.

having remembered I had tickets to Iron Maiden & hence no time to get to the coast I'm happy.

I had a great time!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal