UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722698 times)

philo

• forum hero
#2125 Re: One for the surfers
June 20, 2011, 09:48:30 am
east was a let down at 4am yesterday, went to bed and got up for some clean waves in the eve.  Local pier wall was rocking.  love the northern swell that bounces off it.  Car broke today so nee action till tomorrow for me - need to buy a van asap

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#2126 Re: One for the surfers
June 20, 2011, 04:39:11 pm
It's got big again. New southerly swell competing with the dying east swell from yesterday.
Still great waves but punishing. Spent half hour paddling to get out , nearly gave up but two others next to me which brought a bit of competition into it. Eventually got out back to six to eight foot barrels.
Sat scared shitless for fifteen mins before I found myself in the spot with ten pairs of eyes staring at me testing my balls. I went and got a screamer. Two good turns and pull into a nice pit. As usual with my barrel riding it all went wrong from there and I got flogged. Still nice to get a few seconds of glory.
Another ten mins of hard paddling gets me out back again sat on my board for a breather when the biggest set of the day arrives. All caught inside.
Duck dive goes all wrong and I feel the delightful feeling of my board pulling at my leg until ping. Fir the First time in my life I snap a leash 400 meters out in big surf.
Long swim, crawl, drowning follows until I reach the beach fucked. Boards been rescued by someone on the beach so I head home to lick my wounds.
One and a half hours of hell for fifteen seconds of glory.
God I love surfing.

Mate, that is pure poetry....  :thumbsup:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2127 Re: One for the surfers
June 20, 2011, 06:27:18 pm
As well as wadding you Gav, I forgot to say I'm glad you didn't drown.  Half a mile out at sea in biggish surf with no board and mates is a _very_ lonely place to be.  I bet you did some soul searching on the way in?  ;)

granticus

• forum abuser
#2128 Re: One for the surfers
June 21, 2011, 11:08:32 pm
Proper jawb GME, the 15 seconds of glory, always worth the suffering :great:   Have been a similar situation in big surf minus board.  Would like to say I got to shore by body surfing a wave right to the beach but in reality I swam towards shore and got rumbled towards the beach by successive set waves, holding breath and trying to relax...  Lifeguards already had my board in the back of their 'ute' by the time I reached shore, said they were trying to look for me but couldn't see me, they looked a little annoyed to give up the free surfboard too. 
 Note to self: On big days - don't surf to exhaustion, always have some beans left just incase...  Brush up your swimming skills in bigger surf!

philo

• forum hero
#2129 Re: One for the surfers
June 21, 2011, 11:26:05 pm

Note to self: On big days - don't surf to exhaustion, always have some beans left just incase...  Brush up your swimming skills in bigger surf!

Cant agree with that more, nothing worse than a 4 hour session and duck diving 8 waves nearly half a mile out thinking "fuck me, I couldnt actually paddle to shore if I had to"  bit lairy

philo

• forum hero
#2130 Re: One for the surfers
June 23, 2011, 11:33:43 pm
got in tonight at a spot that breaks a few times a year and managed to land myself and a couple of mates in some short left barrels that walled out into a bay for 4 hours.  Love nights like this - seeing any of the swell chris?

gme

• forum hero
#2131 Re: One for the surfers
June 24, 2011, 07:48:20 am
Just got back to blighty but stuck in Sheffield until sat so missing the east coast swell. Despite surfing lots last week i still get pissed to hear my local spots are working. never mind.

The swim in after snapping my leash was OK for 380m, i basically got washed in by the white stuff, to say i body surfed in would be the worlds biggest fib.

The final 20 m were a lot different and took longer than the preceding 380. The water was draining off the beach so hard you just couldn't swim against it. I eventually sacrificed myself to a closeout and managed to claw my self up the sand.

All in all not to bad. Just really hard work.

The headhigh surfs of the following three days were just a breeze, couldn't have been any different.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2132 Re: One for the surfers
June 24, 2011, 08:47:38 am
Love nights like this - seeing any of the swell chris?

Were a few grovellers in Aberdeen when I drove past last night. Tides were really bad, went to the wall instead. Hopefully a bit better tonight, or hopefully Saturday morning, if it lasts until Sunday mgiht head up to Moray Coast.

philo

• forum hero
#2133 Re: One for the surfers
June 24, 2011, 02:36:31 pm
Looks set to be clean and sweet tonight.  Left reef break near mine will be spitting again i reckon - clean few foot will do nicely

Idol eyes

• junky
#2134 Re: One for the surfers
June 28, 2011, 02:41:13 pm
Sunday was superb... really nice summer groundswell, offshore!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2135 Re: One for the surfers
June 29, 2011, 05:45:33 pm
 :o Nutter!

Idol eyes

• junky
#2136 Re: One for the surfers
June 30, 2011, 01:42:03 pm
Tamed!!!

Idol eyes

• junky
#2137 Re: One for the surfers
July 05, 2011, 12:01:43 pm
Over head and offshore... all time!

Idol eyes

• junky
#2138 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2011, 09:33:05 am

chummer

• forum abuser
#2139 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2011, 12:04:15 pm
 :ohmy:   fucking epic!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2140 Re: One for the surfers
July 09, 2011, 03:48:40 pm
so beautiful to finally see more guns than jet skis on the peak!!!
inspiring.

gme

• forum hero
#2141 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 01:26:47 pm
Jbay comp on to day but a bit average, biggest news was that slater chose not to come.

He was too busy out here

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/dispatch-tavarua-04_57491/

Proper waves without towing. amazing and so f**king scary.

More stuff from the last three days on surfline site.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2142 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 01:55:44 pm
There's an amazing clip of Ryan whatisname doing the rounds on Facebook from Cloudbreak on Wednesday.

Idol eyes

• junky
#2143 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 02:04:04 pm
More Offshore overhead surf today! been a good summer!

philo

• forum hero
#2144 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 05:59:44 pm
watched a bit of the Jbay this morn then the ladies event final too. 

Checked the webcam and chanced the pier, was good actually clean 3-4ft. 

gme

• forum hero
#2145 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 08:27:00 pm
i really do need to meet up with you, it was flat here, well waist high at best, maybe longboard size but only just. same at tynemouth. the pier must jack up the waves or something.

This last week looked promising but ended up shite, wed pm ok but thursday and today just took the kids in. they had a ball and therefore it was worth it.

philo

• forum hero
#2146 Re: One for the surfers
July 15, 2011, 09:19:55 pm
Had to wait for the sets but it was worth it, only me and a couple of mates for a couple of hours till around 10 others jumped in.
Its always off a northern swell, was a little bit east but when it hits the pier it lifts it - one paddle and your up, it feels weird being sucked backwards into a take off but its a nice steep drop.  Everywhere else looked messy with the dodgy wind and shitty wind swell.
You might as well come through, looked like most of tynemouth came after high tide

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2147 Re: One for the surfers
July 18, 2011, 11:21:15 am
Had a fairly good session on Saturday night. Terrible weather all day, but went to beach about 7pm when wind dropped. Claggy low cloud and light drizzle, slightly messy windwaves, but actually a lot better than they looked from shore. Half a dozen folk in, but for some reason they were blatantly huddled together in completely the wrong spot (why do they do that?) away from a fun little peak which I scored half a dozen waves off before they cottoned on and started moving closer (like zombies) at which point the tide dropped off and it stopped working. They all got hacked off waiting and went in one by onebut I gave it another 20 mins for the tide to drop a bit and another peak started working and scored another half dozen before it dropped off and it was getting too dark.

Great atmospheric session; low cloud and rain, foghorn blaring out from lighthouse, seal in the water and a pod of dolphins passing just as light faded.

gme

• forum hero
#2148 Re: One for the surfers
July 18, 2011, 12:29:06 pm
Kids surf again for me,my 10 year old has now progressed from a 7`4" bic to a 5` 9" al merrick flyer. I bet him £5 and the board (picked it up for £90) that he couldnt paddle into a wave on it and stand up, three goes laetr i was £5 down and less a board.

Due to the kids surfing i have done what i always claimed i never would and bought a longboard, it means i can surf with them when its small rather than just swimming around with them. have not seen it yet and all i know is is £180 and 9 foot long.

If its shit i can always cut it in two and makee a couple of kids boards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2149 Re: One for the surfers
July 18, 2011, 12:36:49 pm
bet you a fiver (and the board?) you enjoy riding it a lot more than expect you will. Just remember to walk up and down the board to trim.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal