• forum hero
#2075 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 04:41:14 pm

curly ben

• addict
#2076 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 05:12:49 pm
Hi Guys

I'm probably heading to Florida for a conference in June. I'd like to get a weeks surfing in but Florida looks rubbish, thinking of bailing to Mexico or Nicaragua (or somewhere else in central america) but will only have a week, anyone got any thoughts/recommendations on somewhere thats easily accessible, fairly cheap and likely to be quiet? I hate the surf camp thing but thinking it may be the best option for such a short trip.

Really I'm trying to work out if I should save my money for a trip later in the year or make the most of this opportunity!

Costa Rica. Santa teresa/Malpais catch a bus from san jose.... or playa hermosa/jaco if you dont want to travel t far from sanjose great selection of waves... boardies chill atmosphere i hear it =s getting busier but there is a long stretch of beach to find your own peak.. If you get bored 4wd it up the coast- good fun with river crossings- great waves the whole way up the coast.
or package trip to witches rock pretty fun place to surf- you can do it on your own and camp in the national park which is rewarding.

chris05

• forum abuser
#2077 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 07:43:11 pm
Thanks Johnny Brown and curly ben.

I had heard that CR was more expensive and getting pretty busy but will look into it. Also looking at El Salvador as it looks as though there are some good waves in under an hour from the airport.

curly ben

• addict
#2078 Re: One for the surfers
May 07, 2011, 09:55:29 am
bocas del torro as well

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2079 Re: One for the surfers
May 09, 2011, 07:40:52 am
So I may have missed the big swell earlier in the week but saturday morning was still ridable and super clean (if a little busy).

As usual, full set here

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2080 Re: One for the surfers
May 09, 2011, 10:55:25 am
Nice pics Nick. But please tell me you got in the water too?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2081 Re: One for the surfers
May 09, 2011, 02:36:37 pm
I'm pleased if I ride a wave for 20 ft. And on a small fish too!

http://www.severnsolutions.co.uk/twblog/archive/2011/05/08/surfing-pororoca-for-20km

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#2082 Re: One for the surfers
May 10, 2011, 10:39:27 pm
Any one want a bunch of surf VIDEOS for free (well, cost of postage) or pick up in Sheffield?

No video machine anymore so no use to me.

Endless Summer is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Free Board bag too for 8ft mini-mal.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2083 Re: One for the surfers
May 10, 2011, 11:04:32 pm
is that a persian rug you keep your road bike on???
 :-[

philo

• forum hero
#2084 Re: One for the surfers
May 11, 2011, 01:38:20 pm
the endless summer, brilliant

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2085 Re: One for the surfers
May 12, 2011, 12:19:51 am
More footage from the massive swell at Cloudbreak last year.

The control and sack on display at 02:32 and Laurie Towners attempt to paddle in to a monster is more impressive than the towed in caverns.   :strongbench:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/23232389

philo

• forum hero
#2086 Re: One for the surfers
May 12, 2011, 03:37:54 pm
A while ago I ordered a set of fins, which did not arrive so I ordered some different ones and stupidly forgot to cancel my order.  The other fins arrived a month later but at which point were no good so I sent them back.  I didn't bother with recorded, just first class - which i got a short code for (that doesnt work on the post office tracking website). 

I paid for the fins in FEB and sent them back in march.  The shop in question is the secret spot in scarb.  Now im not giving them a bad name, just a bit of a piss take having to wait this long and be £50 out of pocket to sort out a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place. 

chris05

• forum abuser
#2087 Re: One for the surfers
May 13, 2011, 08:52:24 pm
Amazing:

philo

• forum hero
#2088 Re: One for the surfers
May 16, 2011, 11:53:19 pm

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#2089 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 11:42:52 am
Shipsterns has been scarier than usual this week apparently. Saw some really frightening footage on the news here earlier this evening and there's some footage uploaded onto Surfline:

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/primetime/biggest-shipsterns-ever_55884

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2090 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 11:59:05 am
Perfection

All you need is a mirror

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#2091 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 12:54:48 pm

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2092 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 01:04:26 pm
Shipsterns has been scarier than usual this week apparently. Saw some really frightening footage on the news here earlier this evening and there's some footage uploaded onto Surfline:

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/primetime/biggest-shipsterns-ever_55884

Why the hell would anyone want to bother puttting their neck on the line for this, its not even a nice wave. That last one is horrific, must have been close to face planting something hard there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2093 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 01:18:30 pm
Same reason people do hard scary scrappy routes?

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#2094 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 01:33:16 pm
 :agree:
The young guy who is helping the firm I work for develop new rescue spineboards has surfed Shipstern and he described it as seriously scary and definitely not pretty but well worth the underwear changes once you get the hang of the place. He's been there twice and is intending to return this winter if he can afford it - the fee he's charging us should get him there apparently!

philo

• forum hero
#2095 Re: One for the surfers
May 19, 2011, 05:04:12 pm
looks scary as fook, east coast is so boring right now

chris05

• forum abuser
#2096 Re: One for the surfers
May 24, 2011, 10:39:37 am
I'm going to be in France for the second two weeks in August, I know its the worst possible time but its unavoidable this year. Will be happy if i can get in the water.

Does anyone have any recommendations for surf spots/areas with a good chance of having a wave and ideally not too many people? I believe Hossegor probably has the best chance of a wave but will be packed. Would also like recommendations for a nice simple campsite close to the beach and surf, in a picturesque area. I dont ask much  :P

Finally, will i need a shorty wetsuit or will boardies and a thermal rashie be fine?

Any help much appreciated  :)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2097 Re: One for the surfers
May 24, 2011, 11:23:59 am
I'm thinking about going in September, so am interested to see what response you get to this. I have anecdotally been told that Hossegor is a bit serious for me, but might be fine for you. I was thinking about Brittany, so the same campsite request for there as well please..

Also, why is august really bad? lack of waves?

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2098 Re: One for the surfers
May 24, 2011, 11:33:17 am
Bugger all going down on the cryptics thread so time to branch out. Just about everyone who’s posted on this thread will have spent some time in France but anyway here’s what I recon…

I'm going to be in France for the second two weeks in August, I know its the worst possible

A month earlier would be worse. You're unlikely to have good surf every day, but you can hope for some decent swell at the end of Aug, especially if there’s a hurricane swinging out from the Carribean. Whatever, you'll get surf.

Editing to add - also the dreaded rentree is near the end of Aug, it suddenly goes quiet when all the Frenchies bugger off back to work...

Does anyone have any recommendations for surf spots/areas with a good chance of having a wave and ideally not too many people? I believe Hossegor probably has the best chance of a wave but will be packed.

The Atlantic coast gets a wave from Brittany down, only missing sheltered bits of S Brittany, through the Vendee and south through Les Landes to Hossegor and beyond to Spain.  The Landes are basically one beach 100s of km long and you can surf anywhere a track goes through the pines. With a stroll you can generally find a quiet wave. Not great when the wind goes westerly mind. The waves can have power, and you get the usual rips and ‘basins’ (google). I was always a bit nervous when the kids were younger. Anyway the much, and justly, for secret spot policy,  maligned wannasurf.com has the info.

I generally head for Brittany - more reliable than most surfers seem to realise as gets swell from morew directions than the SW,  quieter too. add in reefs and wind options and that's my vote. I’ve stayed in the Vendee a few times in Aug (more reliable sun, shorter drive with kids) but you get fewer surfable days than down south or in Brittany.

Would also like recommendations for a nice simple campsite close to the beach and surf, in a picturesque area.

Depends what you’re after, how feral you’re feeling etc etc. There are good ‘family’ recommendations up thread.  Lots of surfers stay at the Vieux Boucau campsite (SW, I don’t particularly rate it, but hey).

Finally, will i need a shorty wetsuit or will boardies and a thermal rashie be fine?

You need a shorty at least. Boardies are fine for a session, middle of the day. In Brittany I wear a full suit. But I am nesh.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:43:20 am by johnx2 »

chris05

• forum abuser
#2099 Re: One for the surfers
May 24, 2011, 11:45:53 am
Thanks for the reply John

Had thought about Brittany but wasn't sure if it was as reliable as the SW. Will definitely look into this, had forgotten it had been discussed up thread. Shorter drive time appeals too. The girlfriend is coming so need a a campsite with toilets and showers but no more.

Good to hear there is likely to be some kind of wave!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal