UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722872 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2050 Re: One for the surfers
April 19, 2011, 09:43:40 pm
Good tube riding skills.... it must've taken him ages to put that together. Nice one.

granticus

• forum abuser
#2051 Re: One for the surfers
April 19, 2011, 10:13:32 pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm left barrels.........  :popcorn:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2052 Re: One for the surfers
April 20, 2011, 08:24:01 am
Quality short video of G-Land and Padang, especially when he loses it in the barrel:

Take your spring suit...

inspiring

chummer

• forum abuser
#2053 Re: One for the surfers
April 20, 2011, 09:30:35 pm
Couldn't find this posted before, you just got to see this, it's fucking insane:

:jaw:   

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#2054 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2011, 03:27:58 pm
Anyone tried the Patagucci ones yet? Spiel sounds impressive...

I finally snapped and picked up an R4 in Abersoch in November. It's kept me toasty all winter so no complaints. it's quite heavy in the water and not *that* flexible; but then again it's the first time i've had a winter suit and surfed all winter so I have no baseline for comparison.

v. v. warm. Some days i've taken the hood down to chat to other people in the water or just to give my head some fresh air, only to feel like nearly passing out on the next duck dive due to the cold.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#2055 Re: One for the surfers
April 21, 2011, 11:15:30 pm
We're hoping to get down to watch the RipCurl Pro at Bells Beach tomorrow and/or Sunday. The weather's gorgeous (fine, sunny and 22-24 degrees) and the swell is looking good (3 metres + from the SW) and a certain Mr Slater is apparently in cracking form. A nice easy half-hour drive for us now they've finished the bypass around Geelong (it used to take up to an hour longer going through town.) We'll avoid the parking hell by going to a spot a bit further down and walking in along the coastal path - it's a beautiful area.

http://www.live.ripcurl.com/index.php?bells2011

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2056 Re: One for the surfers
April 22, 2011, 08:30:55 am
It is indeed a beautiful area, but was sadly flat as a flounder's cock when I was there.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#2057 Re: One for the surfers
April 22, 2011, 05:01:18 pm
Board suggestions for Runswick Bay outer reef please.

It's a long paddle so thinking of something larger but still with holding power in bigger waves.

My mate swears by his 7'0'' magic carpet with thruster fin set up.

And do you reckon I could get away with using the same board on slacker waves, e.g. Saunton, because of the extra volume and flatter rocker?

Cheers.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2058 Re: One for the surfers
April 22, 2011, 06:14:32 pm
If you're out there on your own, it might be worth wearing two leashes to be on the safe side as its a fairly long swim back to shore.

Boardwise...  :shrug: I ride a 6'10 with a two plus one on ze larger dayz

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#2059 Re: One for the surfers
April 22, 2011, 06:55:30 pm
I'd be with my mate (s) from Whitby. I think his magic carpet is 6'11'' actually.

Got 6'6'' rounded pin thruster which is perfect for the middle reef, just not sure about paddling to the outer on it.

2+1 - widowmaker style? I like the sound of that.

Cheers

philo

• forum hero
#2060 Re: One for the surfers
April 23, 2011, 09:35:26 pm
talking of portugal, anyone been to sargres?
Turns out my mate forgot to tell me he has a rich aunty with a few villas and has a free villa in sargres for the 6 weeks holidays, YYFY

curly ben

• addict
#2061 Re: One for the surfers
April 25, 2011, 09:20:21 am
 ;D get yourself down there!The missus and I drove over to portugal from spain on a road trip a few weeks back.South west portugal is lovely- The waves where great, good beachies, the lot really. Fairly busy but quietened down when the swell picked up....+ not a bad place to be if theres no swell! If you get the right swell/wind combo Arrifana looks great.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#2062 Re: One for the surfers
April 27, 2011, 01:24:26 pm
Board suggestions for [in Stormrider but I'd call it sensitive and this forum shows high on Google so I'd consider editing] reef please.

You name it and I've seen it bloody out there. Every type of short, long and retroish board you'd care to name, sup, and carbon fibre canoe (guy knows what he'd doing.) Less irrasicibly, shortboards go well off the peak but paddling is a bastard, especially given the rip (which changes direction round the peak, you need to spot your markers.) Not remotely a heavy wave but I've seen barrels had. Bigger boards make for looooonger rides through the soft middle to the fun inside.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2063 Re: One for the surfers
May 03, 2011, 08:23:04 am
Theres a big swell been hitting Sydneys beaches over the last 24 hours

Pics from the local rag here

Unfortunately I only just found out so no pics of my own  :furious: :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2064 Re: One for the surfers
May 03, 2011, 08:52:09 am
I would be more concerned about getting some waves in than taking pics of them.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2065 Re: One for the surfers
May 03, 2011, 09:59:26 am
Theres a big swell been hitting Sydneys beaches over the last 24 hours

Pics from the local rag here

Unfortunately I only just found out so no pics of my own  :furious: :wall:

Couple of the best.

philo

• forum hero
#2066 Re: One for the surfers
May 05, 2011, 01:24:55 pm
Had one good day on sunday when the swell was decent and sheltered from the wind for a brief window, my mate took a photo of it:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:33:55 pm by philo »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2067 Re: One for the surfers
May 05, 2011, 01:55:38 pm
Hoping for some gaps in the wind over the weekend, some southerlies forecast, Stonehaven might be a winner.

gme, how was portugal?

gme

• forum hero
#2068 Re: One for the surfers
May 05, 2011, 02:40:59 pm
Portugal was good. Good surf, good food, good family trip, shame about the weather. The first week we had four days of heavy rain all whilst watching BBC reports on the amazing weather at home. second week was good though.

For consistency of swell it was the best Euro trip i have ever had. Surfed every day bar one and missed that only because i was shafted and it was small.

Got a range of swell from shoulder high and clean with three of us out, head and a half and wild with not many more out, to chest high close outs with 200 out. Peniche is a good spot because of the options it has with winds but it can be busy.

If you get up early you get it uncrowded for an hour or so. Also they would all prefere to surf fat shoulder high clean waves with 100 others than surf head and a half bumpy stuff, not messy but that little bit onshore. I preferred the latter so got loads of waves.

Two points of note
1. Supertubes is a no go area, you will not get a wave from the locals so don't even bother.
2. Lagide does not deserve to be called a reef, its the fattest piece of shite i have ever surfed. The only reefy thing about it is the god damn urchins that i still have stuck in my foot.

Feel really fit after 17 sessions in two weeks, but i am sure it will have worn off before we get any waves on the east coast.

Best bit of the trip was seeing my boys really getting into surfing, the oldest, age 10, was properly trimming along waist high clean waves and got pretty consistant at getting to his feet and turning, the youngest (7) was getting to his feet as well but not managing the turning bit yet. The main thing was they loved it, and now want to watch surf DVDs, get barrelled and do airs. i guess they will be kicking my arse in a few years time. Both surf for the dark side though so going to have to get good at backside barrel's where we live.

Mrs GME not that happy though as using the Ellis family democratic voting system as to where we go on holiday is starting to stack up against her trip to Rome. (she always wanted a girl). But i guess Bali might not be that bad for her.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2069 Re: One for the surfers
May 05, 2011, 02:54:57 pm
Nice one. Groms kicking dad's ass before he knows it. Out of  curiosity how old did you start them? We went to Achmelvich beach when we were away last week, and i think our wee one is immune to the cold. I had him in paddling and my feet were going numb, but he was quite happy, and he kicked and howled when I got him out because the numb pain in my feet was getting too much.

chris05

• forum abuser
#2070 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 10:06:41 am
Hi Guys

I'm probably heading to Florida for a conference in June. I'd like to get a weeks surfing in but Florida looks rubbish, thinking of bailing to Mexico or Nicaragua (or somewhere else in central america) but will only have a week, anyone got any thoughts/recommendations on somewhere thats easily accessible, fairly cheap and likely to be quiet? I hate the surf camp thing but thinking it may be the best option for such a short trip.

Really I'm trying to work out if I should save my money for a trip later in the year or make the most of this opportunity!

Cheers

Chris

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2071 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 10:46:14 am
I know FD has had a couple of good trips to Barbados, but not sure how seasonal it is. Must be loads of cheap flights from Miami.

chris05

• forum abuser
#2072 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 10:52:29 am
Cheers Chris

Think Barbados may be a bit hit and miss at that time of year and possibly quite expensive when there. Flights from Florida to Mexico and central America do seem quite cheap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2073 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 11:09:04 am
No worries. Afreaid my knowledge for that part of the world is nonexistent, other than what you find on here, google or MSW.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2074 Re: One for the surfers
May 06, 2011, 11:58:53 am
I've never been either, but heard lots of good things about Costa Rica. Or Mexico/ Baja?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal