UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722616 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1850 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 05:36:16 pm
I think Brittany coast would be somewhat more reliable than UK east coast, although it will lose the Northern Atlantic due to the British Isles swell shadow. Not to say it will be great though.

Fatdoc, it may be worth browsing Stormrider's Guide to Europe next time you are passing Waterstone's; wealth of information there. I think the topless bodyboarder only features in the old edition.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1851 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 10:06:16 pm
The secret life of waves (BBC4).  Science, philosophy and even some surfing.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1852 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 10:19:59 pm
I think Brittany coast would be somewhat more reliable than UK east coast, although it will lose the Northern Atlantic due to the British Isles swell shadow. Not to say it will be great though.

Fatdoc, it may be worth browsing Stormrider's Guide to Europe next time you are passing Waterstone's; wealth of information there. I think the topless bodyboarder only features in the old edition.

cheers... getting  a copy off Norton.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1853 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 10:25:49 pm

cheers... getting  a copy off Norton.

I know nothing about surfing - but if its any background help, I had a great holiday with some casual bouldering last Summer in Brittany... (and Normandy)
TT

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,15824.msg276179.html#msg276179

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1854 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 10:38:24 pm
NICE...

I'll factor that it for sure.

gme

• forum hero
#1855 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 11:04:12 pm
La torche is a good wave. Not world class or anything but fun. Good left to the nort side of the peninsular with rights to the south.  South side gets a bit of shelter  any winds with north in them.It's usually mobbed though and you need to hassle for waves.
 Loads of other spots nearby. Basically thefurther north you go the more swell you need. There is a long peninsular on the south coast of Brittany with loads of campsites that gets more swell.
I would personally go to hossegor in landes if I was going to France but my family come second to surf quality when deciding where we go on holiday. 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1856 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 11:36:33 pm
good knowledge...

cmon.. where's the best best venue in your opinion avec  en famille

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1857 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 11:54:34 pm
Gets a bit "deep man" at the end...

The Secret Life of Waves

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1858 Re: One for the surfers
February 02, 2011, 11:57:45 pm
NICE...

I'll factor that it for sure.

Nice is in the south east of France, not Brittany.

Duma

• forum hero
#1859 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 12:13:10 am
Nice is in the south east of France, not Brittany.
and your link was added 4 posts up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1860 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 08:16:42 am
 :oops: Not a thread I follow closely, no harm done.

gme

• forum hero
#1861 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 09:34:36 am
We have had loads of good holidays in the Landes region anywhere between Hossegor and Arcachon.
We go in the van and usually stay at Cap d l homy. http://www.camping-cap.com/english/index.htm.

Its a municipal campsite right in the forest at the back of the dunes. There is a German surf school there so lots of germans which is a bit weird in the south of France. Its pretty basic but we like that. There are bungalows on the site as well.
If you want a villa option try Moliet plage just down the coast.
You will get surf here, if there is non here there will be non in Europe. I have had some of the best waves of my life along this coast.

Still lots to do with the family, from cycling to chateaus. Big waterpark in hossegor and Barritz is amazing.
You can get there in around 8 hours from St Malo ferry or even better 1 1/2hrs from Bilbao ferry (not cheap but the best way to get to Europe with the family).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1862 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 11:29:16 am
Great info, will look into that, cheers.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1863 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 11:38:00 am
We go in the van and usually stay at Cap d l homy. http://www.camping-cap.com/english/index.htm.
Ah someone else who's been to Cap dl Homy!  We came across it by chance on a round Europe trip a few years back and stayed a week, then went back again last year. The municipal site is great as you say and you pay municipal rates rather the private site rates.  It's also much cheaper in a van as they put you in the van part near the entrance, still only 2mins walk to the showers and washing up sinks with hot water..

A great spot as you say, tarmac cycle tracks up and down  the coast so you can cycle to the next village up for lunch + there's a funky little lighthouse to go up.  Close enough to the beach you can jog down for a dawnie and pick the croissants up for brownie points on your way back up.

gme

• forum hero
#1864 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 12:02:36 pm
I was told about it by a german climber friend. The first time i went was late may and we were the only non germans on the site, its a bit more french in the summer. It ticked all the boxes for my other half as the toilets and showers are all clean and not the french type.

Waves are not as good as hossegor but still fun. I would go to hossegor on a surf trip but when the family is in tow homy is perfect.

Idol eyes

• junky
#1865 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 02:24:56 pm
Surfed Fly Cellars today! EPIC!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1866 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 10:17:06 pm
I was told about it by a german climber friend. The first time i went was late may and we were the only non germans on the site, its a bit more french in the summer. It ticked all the boxes for my other half as the toilets and showers are all clean and not the french type.

Waves are not as good as hossegor but still fun. I would go to hossegor on a surf trip but when the family is in tow homy is perfect.

the missus is well impressed!

looks like its a goer. where do you get the ferry from the Uk?

Sorry for being lazy... but the info on here is better than google.

cheers.

gme

• forum hero
#1867 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 10:40:34 pm
Both options from Portsmouth. I prefer the bilbao one as the holiday starts as soon as you get on the ferry. Drive on, eat, few beers theN in your cabin for the night. Wake up in Spain with two hours driving to do.
The st malo way is not overnight and you have a big drive through France so I never feel on holiday until I get there. It's a lot cheaper though. 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#1868 Re: One for the surfers
February 03, 2011, 11:24:52 pm
seems like it's 31 hours on the ferry... could have read that wrong. for 14 nights away,  and if the roads are good I can drive 8 hours from St Malo no bother.. may be better for the short ferry? as there is less time total travelling??

I'm not sure. keen for opinion... thanks... getting excited by the ferry being a mini cruise mind!  I will need a cabin or two though  :( ( four kids) = a load of cash... ( website asking me to phone for quotes, never a good sign!)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1869 Re: One for the surfers
February 04, 2011, 09:04:51 am
seems like it's 31 hours on the ferry... could have read that wrong. for 14 nights away,  and if the roads are good I can drive 8 hours from St Malo no bother.. may be better for the short ferry? as there is less time total travelling??

I'm not sure. keen for opinion... thanks... getting excited by the ferry being a mini cruise mind!  I will need a cabin or two though  :( ( four kids) = a load of cash... ( website asking me to phone for quotes, never a good sign!)

Condor ferries were loads cheaper than Brittany ferries last year...... a wee bit cheap and cheeful but perfectly fine..

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1870 Re: One for the surfers
February 04, 2011, 09:15:25 am
Yeah we condor'ed it to st.malo, then down.  We actually spent the first week in the Pyrenees so the drive down was even longer but its nice driving - sit back on the empty peage, stopping now and again to refuel on cakes at Paul patisseries in the services.. that always feels like holiday to me.

As Gme says the waves aren't as good as other spots up/down the coast but it gets waves, the beach is nice and the family will love it (biggest bonus is people can come/go from the beach at different times as its 2mins walk from le camping)

can email you a couple of pics of the camping/beach if your missus needs inspiration :-) PM me if so

p.s. how's your german?

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#1871 Re: One for the surfers
February 04, 2011, 09:19:21 am
Why would you name a ferry company 'Condor Ferries'?
Of course after that famous seabird the condor!
This has got me thinking and googling,
just found 'Kiwi Airlines'...even better

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1872 Re: One for the surfers
February 04, 2011, 09:49:50 am
theres an Emu Airlines and an Ostrich Airlines too.

No Dodo though - gap in the market there.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#1873 Re: One for the surfers
February 06, 2011, 09:48:11 am
While you lot have all been freezing we've all been baking in 40 degree heat for the past week. Thankfully yesterday brought a small but clean swell to keep everyone cool (all the shots from Manly)

There'll be a few more on my blog shortly

clm

• forum hero
#1874 Re: One for the surfers
February 06, 2011, 02:16:50 pm
so why werent you in the water?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal