UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 723229 times)

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1675 Re: One for the surfers
November 11, 2010, 08:01:40 pm
Dave might be along to add his two penneth.

Thought I'd add my two penneth. Exactly the same problem, have been surfing for years and years, ~50% coverage in both ears.  Have stopped it getting worse over the last 10 years using plugs, well worth it as the operation isn't very nice.  If i ever go in the water without them now my ears hurt afterwards.

Re: best plugs, I've used blu-tac for the last 4-5 years, works a treat and if you lose a plug then you just squeeze another one outta the pack..

whats all this talk of hoods and winter suits eh, still hanging on in my summer suit down here in kernow..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1676 Re: One for the surfers
November 11, 2010, 08:28:41 pm
Blutac is Ok, but I can never get it to stick in my ears and always lose it mid session. Plus it's not too good if you want to talk to anyone in the water.

I got a set of vented proplugs, and never had them fall out, and can still hear. Worth getting the first pair fitted, you can get them from Amazon if you want more than one pair, or lose them http://brdistribution.co.uk/acatalog/Docs_Pro_Plugs.html

philo

• forum hero
#1677 Re: One for the surfers
November 11, 2010, 08:58:19 pm
I never wear plugs and never have.  I guess this is a very real issue and these plugs could help.  Chris what's the difference between a "medium" and "large" plug. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1678 Re: One for the surfers
November 11, 2010, 09:07:31 pm
I use the soft silicone ear putty blobs that you squish into the ear.. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1679 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 08:37:25 am
Chris what's the difference between a "medium" and "large" plug.

is that a real question?
blu tac stays in if you work it and warm it up a bit before putting in your ears..  I agree those Docs plugs are good, I just lost a couple years ago and it started getting expensive

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1680 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 08:39:45 am
Chris what's the difference between a "medium" and "large" plug.

The large is bigger than the medium.

Actually hard to say which will fit unless you go for a fitting. A music shop near us is a distributor, they had a measuring kit there.

FD I've got some of the silicone stuff at home, can check name. Like Blutac it falls out of my ear. Guess I have odd shaped ears.

gme

• forum hero
#1681 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 09:41:45 am
I have never used ear plugs and have not had a problem with my ears. However as one by one my mates develop it i cant help but think i should.

It is one of the reasons i keep my hood up a lot more than before as i think its as much to do with the cold wind as the water. Plus if your hoods a good fit it keeps water out of your ears.

I do think that some people are more suseptable than others. I have never had problems with my ears in my life, if i get ill its usually on my chest.
However i should probably try to use it this winter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1682 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 09:58:18 am
I've always had problems with my ears, used to get loads of infections as a kid, and now got tinnitus from too many loud guns and nighclubs with crap sound systems.

gme

• forum hero
#1683 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 10:20:02 am
You have mentioned odd shaped ears and guns in your last two posts.

I didnt realise you were a real Aberdeen local!!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1684 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 10:50:54 am
Not shitty little rifles and pistols.

GUNS

this was my toy for 18 months

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/g6.htm

and occasionally this

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/g5.htm

Idol eyes

• junky
#1685 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 01:11:24 pm
Ears?
Hate plugging, Just started to use white blue tac bungs, when its howling! other wise if its weak winds and not freezing, just not bothering...
However, loads of people down here have the surfers ear condition, Tinnitus and other effects of surfing for years without... and its really scary! Low frequency hearing loss seems common, so high frequency's become pain full.
The Ops not great news either...

philo

• forum hero
#1686 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 02:16:56 pm
bringing this thread back to the board pr0n.  What do you think of this?

Rusty Piranha Quad 6'0" x 20" x 2 1/8" Surftech

for £200 i am tempted for a wider shortboard for the smaller clean days when my heavy pintail 18" quad might not be as effective as one of these.

Is it worth it?  I am thinking that i will get my moneys worth out of it eventually

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1687 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 07:49:50 pm
Hood? I got hood....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1688 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 07:58:57 pm
What do you think of this?

:-\

Surftech

:thumbsdown:

Foam, glass and preferably handmade all the way for me Philo.

philo

• forum hero
#1689 Re: One for the surfers
November 12, 2010, 11:27:24 pm
Yeah thats what i was thinking, looks somewhat flimsy doesnt it.  I like the shape and dimensions though.
After the current glass handmade beaut i have at the moment,  i want another and i think ill just wait and get one done properly. 
Going to order a fish from a shaper in scotland again.  Infact, ill go pick it up and just keep going to Aberdeen if its a good day Chris.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

clm

• forum hero
#1690 Re: One for the surfers
November 14, 2010, 07:37:08 pm
the surftech finish is poo. Plasticy urgh.
Bamburgh was nice, i was dreadful. How have i lost a whole summer of fitness so fast?
I like b and w quads and that royal off of the other other channel.
That said, i only buy cheap boards off ebay.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1691 Re: One for the surfers
November 14, 2010, 07:50:50 pm
ill go pick it up and just keep going to Aberdeen if its a good day Chris.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Want to see what really shit waves are like? :) Give us a shout if you do.

In my experience surftec etc type light epoxy boards are a useful inclusion in a large quiver for dead still days and totally glassy conditions, but if there is any wind and associated chop they are not ideal. In other words most of the time up here. Stick to traditionally made boards.

philo

• forum hero
#1692 Re: One for the surfers
November 17, 2010, 11:55:23 pm
the sea was a whitewash of shit today, unsurfable.  Breaking about 1 mile out and the wind was disgusting, even the sheltered spots didnt appeal.  Tomorrow I hope im at work and off on friday so i can grace the bay alone!  :hug:

granticus

• forum abuser
#1693 Re: One for the surfers
November 18, 2010, 11:57:47 am
Sneaky, sneaky round the corner this afternoon in this part of the world - big solid swell with offshore winds (?) somewhere..  ;)  Am on paternity to leave and have been given the afternoon off for good behaviour.. Love mid week sneakies...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1694 Re: One for the surfers
November 18, 2010, 12:51:00 pm
Wind has dropped here, given size of waves yesterday evening should be a window where widswell cleans up this afternoon. Keep that mobile close at hand Granticus!

Idol eyes

• junky
#1695 Re: One for the surfers
November 19, 2010, 10:49:30 am
Fully on down here! and I am on a boogie board with a go pro stuck to my head!!!

ben

• obsessive maniac
#1696 Re: One for the surfers
November 19, 2010, 11:31:27 am
Fully on down here! and I am on a boogie board with a go pro stuck to my head!!!
on the downside i'm missing cornish perfection. 

on the plus side am enroute to the Peak for hopefully a week of cool crisp conditions (?!)

philo

• forum hero
#1697 Re: One for the surfers
November 19, 2010, 01:31:22 pm
wind dropped here too chris, this morning got up for a dawnie, big swell with a rare wedge wave in amongst the shite whitewash rubbish.  Spent 2-3 hours and caught a few really steep angry waves that made that zipping noise when you go really quick down a face.  Got out after getting battered about abit, checked another spot in shelter to find perfect wedges curving around the pier wall unbroken beauties.  Fucking typical.  Got me motivated enough to get into a cold wet sandy wetsuit for another couple of hours.  Tomorrow is on the records to be special.  I wish we had the same colour waves as cornwall never mind the consistency of quality waves.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1698 Re: One for the surfers
November 19, 2010, 01:52:02 pm
Tomorrow is on the records to be escecially shit here. Onshore winds.

philo

• forum hero
#1699 Re: One for the surfers
November 19, 2010, 01:54:43 pm
road trip?  MSW don't think tomorrow will be any good here too, but all it takes is for it to be slightly calmer and it will be epic.  I hate the star system on MSW and the way it compiles "quality" waves.  did you get anything done today?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal