UKBouldering.com

One for the surfers (Read 722669 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1625 Re: One for the surfers
November 03, 2010, 08:42:13 pm
I surf and snowboard regular and am left footed.
Write left handed and throw left handed but do (almost) everything else righthanded.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#1626 Re: One for the surfers
November 03, 2010, 08:58:19 pm
Central coast man..... great waves far enough away from sydney, good choice reefs, beachies and epic points when the light up. Busy like everywhere in aus, with 11yr old super groms padding in to every wave going- but there are tons of mid week waves cool..ish locals and good weather.

:agree:
Not a surfer myself but all the surfers I know down here (Victorian surf coast area) spend time up on that coast at every possible chance.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1627 Re: One for the surfers
November 03, 2010, 09:43:17 pm
Central coast man..... great waves far enough away from sydney, good choice reefs, beachies and epic points when the light up. Busy like everywhere in aus, with 11yr old super groms padding in to every wave going- but there are tons of mid week waves cool..ish locals and good weather.

:agree:
Not a surfer myself but all the surfers I know down here (Victorian surf coast area) spend time up on that coast at every possible chance.

Still full of bogans tho. My missus is a Coastie and everytime we go back, she's astounded by the increase since she grew up there.

curly ben

• addict
#1628 Re: One for the surfers
November 03, 2010, 10:06:48 pm
 :agree: :agree: too true...... crime is indeed a problem- but as waves go not a bad spot

curly ben

• addict
#1629 Re: One for the surfers
November 03, 2010, 10:18:52 pm
I surf and snowboard regular and am left footed.
Write left handed and throw left handed but do (almost) everything else righthanded.

I think there is no rhyme or reason to it, I snowboard goofy and skate and surf regular, how does that work!

I don't think hand dominance has much of an affect. I think either one foot forward or t'other feels intuitively right. Saying that some hard graft and persistance can reap massive benefits in the 'switch' dept. I reckon most pro snowboarders and skaters are pretty comfortable both ways, surfing's probably not too far off, it would be pretty handy surfing on one's forehand on lefts and rights :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1630 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 08:56:20 am
I actually enjoy the difference between surfing front and backhand. Backhand is definitely harder, but satisfying to do.

Can't snowboard switch very well at all, although I suspect my setup is partially to blame.

curly ben

• addict
#1631 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 10:07:37 am
I actually enjoy the difference between surfing front and backhand. Backhand is definitely harder, but satisfying to do.

Can't snowboard switch very well at all, although I suspect my setup is partially to blame.

Yep a good backhand barrel feels sublime

philo

• forum hero
#1632 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 04:22:45 pm
checking the forecast for the weekend.  YYFY cant fucking wait.
east coasters are going to be smiling hopefully.  Cant wait to get on some thick heavy waves with this board. 

clm

• forum hero
#1633 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 05:39:00 pm
Andy Irons died today, missed his heats in Puerto due to a fever, died in Dallas en route back to Hawaii. RIP
 :'(

His wife is 7 months pregnant too. Horrible.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1634 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 07:23:57 pm
east coasters are going to be smiling hopefully. 

Don't fucking jinx it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1635 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 07:25:22 pm
clm are you back from your trip yet?

granticus

• forum abuser
#1636 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 07:27:13 pm
east coasters are going to be smiling hopefully. 

Don't fucking jinx it!
Nevermind the weekend, check the storm that's gonna hit Monday...  14.5ft swell with direct offshores on the ND coast.  Good job I'm away on training coz if that does hit, it's gonna be ridiculous!

gme

• forum hero
#1637 Re: One for the surfers
November 04, 2010, 10:08:21 pm
Jinxed now. But not much to jinx though.  Msw optomisim as usual.
I think we will get a plesent 1-2footer on Sunday then blown out shite for Monday and Tuesday
may get something better later in the week but don't hold your breath.
I would bet a good bit of money there will be no thick heavyness at all.

Hope I am wrong. 

curly ben

• addict
#1638 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 11:34:28 am
[/url]
IMG_1651 by curlyben1, on Flickr[/img]

summer holiday pics

curly ben

• addict
#1639 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 11:36:43 am
oh dear thought i had this embedding of photos wired...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1640 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 11:41:23 am
oh dear thought i had this embedding of photos wired...

Flickr restrict embedding if you have set the licensing to tight. If you set it as CC rather than 'all rights reserved' it should let you get the link.

philo

• forum hero
#1641 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 05:46:49 pm
had a shit day today, slow crap waves with 2 jet ski wankers quite near me. 
It got alot worse when i got out and went to get my key....
it wasnt there! what the fuck, did I leave it in my pocket? I hope not, oh no! both sets of keys locked in my car but I could have swore i hid one? If i did hide one and it is no longer there, and my car is still here, does it mean someone has picked it up?  Started to get a little worried as I had 0 phone, getting cold and no sign of my key when I circle my car.
Managed to get some bloke to ring my bro and he came with clothes and a towel for me.  By the time he came I had been out of the water for over 40 minutes.  It was 6° and in the shade. 
Dried myself off and we talked about the possibilities, smash a back window? Get the AA to come and break in?  Then i seen further down the road, a small boy pick something from on top of the bin - my fucking key.

in hindsight i need a better place to stash/keep my key (i have 2 electronic ones)

Happy ending at least.  Anyone got plans for tomorrow?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1642 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 06:23:10 pm
Just got in from a great afternoon bouldering at Ramshaw to watch Slater win his 10th World Title live on t'interweb.. amazing.  I'd just brought my own board and started surfing properly around the time he won his first one and it seems a long, long time ago.  Just incredible that he has managed to stay on top for nearly twenty years... amazing.

gme

• forum hero
#1643 Re: One for the surfers
November 06, 2010, 10:09:56 pm
Amazing. Watched him win the 10th then go on to win the event as well getting a ten point ride in the final.
Anyone who is interested in competion of any kind cannot fail to be impressed by Kelly slaters career.
Had a great day at kyloe then a great evening watching this plus bonus of a swell tomorrow so dawny in the morning hopefully feeling like king Kelly
unfortunatly the bottle of wine I have consumed may hinder my performance.

philo

• forum hero
#1644 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 12:56:37 am
where you off to GME? i think sunderland will be rammed tomorrow.  Might try seaham beach where i know i will be the only one there.  dawnie at sunderland then prob go to seaham if 50 get in

clm

• forum hero
#1645 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 07:08:07 am
clm are you back from your trip yet?
Yeah, was back for start of school year (funny that). It was awesome. To be honest i had my best surfing in oz though did catch one riduculously long ride in indo. By the time i was in indo i was getting font elbow and font shoulders from all the paddling. Not used to the long paddles to the reefs and the massive currents to fight to stay at the shoulder. Quite intimidating at times. Right shoulder still crunchy!
By the way, anyone got recommendations for northumberland? Staying in seahouses next weekend.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1646 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 09:15:34 am
Bamburgh looks promising, picks up any swell going. If there's any more the breaks at Beadnell are right in front of the gites. Psyched!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1647 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 02:21:24 pm
Seahouses itself apparently gets surf, As JB says Bamburgh is a good bet.
Just had an ace dawnie. Frost on the ground, but nice clean swell, sunny and no wind. Very quiet initially, 6 in the water, but it got busier as it got shitter, and by the time the SUP guys arrived we decided it was fry up time.

Randomly, my mate met Mike Tyson on the beach as he was getting out, got Go Pro footage to prove it!

philo

• forum hero
#1648 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 04:14:54 pm
hahahaha thats brilliant!
He could have asked mike to pretend to knock his head off tho in a staged scene on the beach.

also had an amazing cold dawnie chris, bit small but decent.  Got back in again in the noon (about 2) and again some really clean sweet lefts and odd freak waves.  Only a handful in.
Best day in a long time

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1649 Re: One for the surfers
November 07, 2010, 07:06:38 pm
Would have liked to get in again later, but wind had swung southerly and the only spot locally which works at springtides and southerlies is too sheltered to get much of this swell. Plus TBH I was a bit knackered and had to be daddy daycare.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal