and

7 + 8 Font Guide

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 New reviews
June 10, 2003, 08:24:41 pm
I am loving the layout! is the rest of the site going to adopt the same?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 New reviews
June 10, 2003, 09:53:58 pm
Cool  :D

Possibly - I'm certainly going to use the new toolbar as it's CSS only, with a bit of javascript, and is much more standards compliant / browser compatible than the existing one. If a browser can't display it properly, then it'll just display it as an html list, so everyone will be able to use it.

Not so sure about the Flash thingy. On the one hand it's quite tidy and easy to use, but on the other hand the page sizes are quite big - I'll see what everyone else thinks, especially those on dialup.

I'm going to get that cal mod sorted when I get some time, to see if it's any use.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#3 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 01:13:42 pm
I'm not so sure about broswer compatibility - I'm usig Mozilla 1.3 and the page just keeps reloading, and reloading, and....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 01:16:27 pm
Really? Weird - I wonder if that's the flash bit or the toolbar. The toolbar is just rendered in CSS so can't see how it'd be to do with that.

Have you got Flash installed?

I'll download mozilla later as it's meant to be a decent browser these days....

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#5 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 01:53:58 pm
Yeah - I've got flash six for linux installed, with no real problems.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 01:56:51 pm
Ok, I'll get this sorted before I start using it wholesale - I want to aim for standards compliance as opposed to browser compatibility per se, but I believe mozilla *is* standards compliant.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#7 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 02:17:56 pm
The new menu bar looks great.  A couple of problems though - if your browser window isn't wide enough it wraps round, thus making it unusable.  And if you accidentally move your mouse over a main menu item while trying to go to an item in the submenu, the submenu changes.  Might be better if the submenu only appears when you click on a main menu item?

The flash thing is terrible - it's hard to use, the scrolling is slow, and with my normal browser window size the font is incredibly small (forcing me to use the zoom which is a pain in the arse, or resize my window which I don't want to do).  I think plain HTML would be much better.  Just my two cents!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 New reviews
June 11, 2003, 02:22:34 pm
Quote from: "yorkshiregrit"
The new menu bar looks great.  A couple of problems though ...

That's how it was originally designed, but with the current site structure I had to add the mouseover stuff in javascript. When the site is re-written (currently still writing the backend db admin system) I will change the site structure so that it will work as you describe.

Quote from: "yorkshiregrit"
The flash thing is terrible....

This is the sort of feedback I need - I've used it on those pages as an experiment more than anything else, and am not convinced that it's of any use for pages such as this. I think it does have it's uses, but not sure this is one of them....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 New reviews
June 12, 2003, 12:46:14 am
Quote from: "Stu Littlefair"
I'm not so sure about broswer compatibility - I'm usig Mozilla 1.3 and the page just keeps reloading, and reloading, and....

Just tried it in Mozilla 1.4 (pre-release build) - doesn't do what you describe but also doesn't render that well. I'll await the next build or notify the original authors of the code  :cry:

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#10 New reviews
June 12, 2003, 10:48:09 am
Bad news.

I'm sure you'll find another outlet for your geekishtendencies.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 New reviews
June 12, 2003, 10:51:56 am
You're the one using Linux  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal