UKBouldering.com

Training when ill... (Read 3754 times)

blur

Training when ill...
December 02, 2006, 09:58:20 pm
What's everyone's thoughts on training while ill? (cold/flu/run-down whatever!) Do you find it helps doing a little bit of light bouldering? Or does it actually hinder your performance in the long run if you dont let your body recover? Any advice will be appreciated. Just started with a cold and feel a little run-down but nevertheless I'm keen to keep training up. Thanks

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#1 Re: Training when ill...
December 02, 2006, 10:05:41 pm
would you race a horse if it was lame?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Training when ill...
December 02, 2006, 11:50:27 pm
Once again I will pass on the 3 golden rules imparted on be my dobbin (as he was training with a cold  ;D)
1. Never Train When Tired
2. Never Train When Injured
3. Never Train When Ill

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Training when ill...
December 03, 2006, 11:41:26 am
i agree,

and never go to work with a temperature

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Re: Training when ill...
December 03, 2006, 03:51:25 pm
Once again I will pass on the 3 golden rules imparted on be my dobbin (as he was training with a cold  ;D)
3. Never Train When Ill

:agree: :agree: :agree:

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 Re: Training when ill...
December 03, 2006, 04:43:19 pm
Got bit of a cold few days before i went to font recently, then tried to climb 4 days on getting worse each day. Finally had to come home early with bronchitis/pneumonia and had to take 3 weeks off! Maybe it would of gone that way anyway but I doubt it. Dont do it!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#6 Re: Training when ill...
December 03, 2006, 08:22:39 pm
3. Never Train When Ill

i would never go climbing if i adhered to these rules. I've just had a cold on and off for about 6 weeks, and i've had a tweaky wrist (on both arms). the wrists seem to have sorted themselves out, i'm still climbing (and failing on the same things i usually do). I reckon so long as you aren't feeling fully rough i.e if you have a bit of a sniffle then get down the wall and infect everryone else. i do. i am the vector.
on a cautionary note i'm not advocating the varian regime. (of training really hard and lots of running with a full on death cold, then going to spain and catching pneumonia.)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: Training when ill...
December 12, 2006, 06:49:47 pm
Me too... although I don't climb when I have a cold.

"Never train when tired"... Does anyone else on here over 35 with a full time job agree with this??  If I never trained or climbed when I was tired I'd never go climbing.  I can't even remember the last time I wasn't tired...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: Training when ill...
December 12, 2006, 09:40:43 pm
there's  tired (exhausted) and run down and then there's just fatigued from too much family, work and stress....

time for a personal judgment call.. not easy but necessary..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: Training when ill...
December 13, 2006, 04:52:11 pm
i agree,

and never go to work with a temperature

or just never go to work.

or do go to work with a temperature and go climbing when fit.
 ;)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#10 Re: Training when ill...
December 17, 2006, 10:57:36 pm
For me (early 30s, full on job and family) I can usually tell the difference between
a. tired-feel no energy and ditch the session after 20 mins and
b. tired-brain fucked from work climb ok and feel great after the session.
Usually after a busy day it is the latter, but I do quite often not train when I was planning to because I am just too knackered. So erm, inconclusive from me then....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: Training when ill...
December 23, 2006, 01:05:48 am
With me I think it's a mental thing. If I feel shit, I'm not motivated to train and even if I do try, I usually give up early cos I'm depressed about being fucking useless.

I have to be really sick to take a day off work, and even sicker to have a day off climbing outside. I have two kids I only really see at the weekend and my only climbing day is a Tuesday so I try my utmost to get outside. I find I don't get injured in the summer cos I'm outside much more regularly. Shit weather = greater chance of being ill and more time indoors = more chance of injury.

Having said that, friction should be top in the week between Christmas and New Year and I intend to bear down ferociously and get rid of lots of excess skin (insert PSYCHED smilie here)...
Can you tell I'm wired?

In a few words, (and at the risk of repeating what has already been said) if you feel you can climb, climb. Just don't bust yourself. Try and restrict yourself to climbing stuff well within your limit (are you listening Richie "Trigger Finger" Crouch?)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal