UKBouldering.com

non climbing claims to fame (Read 67138 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#75 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 08:36:47 am

I got retweeted by David Baddiel.

Was that about your Alex Megos incident?

rich d

• forum hero
#76 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 09:15:28 am
Had a pitta gyros and a beer with a very drunk and abusive Robert Plant in Thessaloniki (exactly what a rock star should be)
Refused to serve Richard Whitely when I was an optician
Sang karaoke with Dev off coronation street
I am friends with the lad who used to play Jonny Briggs

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#77 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 09:53:48 am
My brother once had a piss next to Vince Cable after a press conference. He said the filthy fucker didn't wash his hands afterwards. And he must have shaken loads of hands.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#78 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:39:43 am
I got retweeted by David Baddiel.

My girlfriend once volunteered in a charity shop with a woman who had a custom-made handbag decorated with photos of David Baddiel. After a few weeks she could contain her curiosity no longer and asked her colleague about this crazy bag. Turns out she'd been working alongside the comedy star's proud Mum!

I briefly spoke to Jenny Powell, star of Gimme 5, Family Fortunes and Brass Eye, at Mansfield Mardi Gras (yes Mansfield has a Mardi Gras, no it doesn't even happen on a Tuesday) when I was a teenager. I asked her to mention me on TV- when she diplomatically told me there was no way that was going to happen I verbally abused her. Not proud of that.

I own a studio mixing desk that was originally built for Hank Marvin of the Shadows.  8)

In 2007 my then-bandmate bumped into Ghostface Killah in Londis (not as random as it sounds- he was playing a gig in Nottingham that night) my man got the Wu-Tang star to record a shoutout for our band on his dictaphone which, after I'd edited the n-word out, we proudly used on our demo CD. No-one believed it was really Ghostface.  :lol:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#79 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:44:41 am
In 1996 I enjoyed a night out with Lou from Neighbours, and in 1998 Bez crossed a pub to tell me I should be in a band. Not much since then sadly.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#80 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:56:16 am
Had leading badger saviour and erstwhile astronomer and guitar player Brian May at the launch of my old mans exhibition in London last year. Noticed that he has a penchant for adidas Stan smiths and finger buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36chambers

• forum hero
#81 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 11:11:56 am
In 2007 my then-bandmate bumped into Ghostface Killah in Londis (not as random as it sounds- he was playing a gig in Nottingham that night) my man got the Wu-Tang star to record a shoutout for our band on his dictaphone which, after I'd edited the n-word out, we proudly used on our demo CD. No-one believed it was really Ghostface.  :lol:

My favourite so far.

I shook Method Man's hand after I saw the mighty Wu live a few years ago.

:offtopic: My old house mate sold a "bag for life" to Dave Grohl at the Manchester Christmas market (Foo Fighters were playing at the MEN arena that night). 

Mr Grohl with said bag

Palomides

• forum abuser
#82 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 12:04:30 pm
I'm talking in the intro to this:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#83 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 12:52:35 pm
Not entirely non-climbing, but I made the first ascent of the London Eye, televised.

dave

#84 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 01:22:41 pm
No topout? Back around.

cofe

• forum hero
#85 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 01:37:16 pm
Queued for a Burger King next to Cypress Hill at a services on the M5 in 2000.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#86 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 04:13:00 pm
Got to hang out with various minor royals when I worked for a charity after finishing uni. But much better is I am related to  the painter Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun (My mum had a middle name of 'Brun')

She hung out with Marie Antoinette, managed to keep her head during the French revolution (was spared because she was an artist), then travelled all over Europe from Russia to the Isle of Wight and then back to Paris until her death at the age of 87. Her epitaph reads "Ici, enfin, je repose…" (Here, at last, I rest…). Her memoirs are amazing.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#87 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 04:13:49 pm
I forgot another. Was sat in Vodka Revolution in Manchester and I got a tap on the shoulder, turned round and Terry Christian asked to borrow my lighter.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#88 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 04:24:28 pm
My Mum gave my old tuxedo to Ricky Wilson to wear for an award do

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#89 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 04:34:11 pm
Queued for a Burger King next to Cypress Hill at a services on the M5 in 2000.

Amazing!

B to the mother fu*!ing K, home boy, B to the mother fu*!ing K!   :dance1:

ohhamburgers

#90 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 07:27:36 pm
Schoolfriend's dad was Lester Noel of Beats International fame :bow:

Queued for lunch at Granada Studios behind Jeremys Paxman and Kyle as a University Challenge reserve team member. Paxman was nice enough, Kyle the sleazy charmer you'd expect.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#91 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 08:16:35 pm
I sat next to Lily Allen on the tube once.

Tiggy Legge-Bourke was a neighbour of parents, I stayed at their flat in Kensington once when I was about 12.

My gran was Stuart Cable's GP when he was a kid.

This was trumped by a kid in my form (I'm a teacher), who when asked to name someone he knows and what they do for a living said: "Well, my gran makes the Queen's dresses."

rich d

• forum hero
#92 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 08:23:28 pm
Joe Johnson, snooker world champion who came from nowhere to beat Steve Davis and become world champion, was my next door neighbor when I was growing up.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#93 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 08:53:43 pm
I failed miserably to chat up Anna Friel in the bar under the Everyman in Liverpool in 1993ish

I wasn't aware that she was famous until people started asking me how come I was chatting with her

I did know who Craig Charles was, but I assume that most people have had at least one night of heavy drinking with him (in Casablanca Club)

tomtom

• forum hero
#94 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:03:18 pm

I failed miserably to chat up Anna Friel in the bar under the Everyman in Liverpool in 1993ish

I wasn't aware that she was famous until people started asking me how come I was chatting with her

I did know who Craig Charles was, but I assume that most people have had at least one night of heavy drinking with him (in Casablanca Club)

Hmm.. I tried to get near to Anna Friel to try and chat her up in the Skyrack in Headingly in early 1993...

SamT

• forum hero
#95 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:12:29 pm
This is comedy gold...I actually spat beer at the "Nutkins in Matalan obscenity" shocker.  (was this thread inspired by Shaun Keaveny's 'Small Claims Court')

Guess mine would be chatting to Dermot O'Leary, who was relatively unheard of at the time, and Lewis from Hollyoaks (ben hull), who was 'famous' at the time, but now relatively unheard of, in a bar in Serre Chevalier on a boarding hol (the whole T4 crew were in there so your talking Vernon Kay, June Sapong etc)

Dermot and Ben were pissed and regaling us with tales of being delayed on the snow train in Paris and passing the time watching bestiality vids in a pron shop.  No word of a lie. 

Hope Dermots agents don't read this and send some of his SAS pals round to see if I'm tough enough.

Dolly

• forum hero
#96 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 20, 2016, 10:18:37 pm
got another...served Jim Davidson in a climbing shop in stoke once, classic
What did he buy ?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#97 non climbing claims to fame
January 21, 2016, 01:29:43 am
All right, I've had such a crap day that I'm nursing a glass of vino at 1:10am and apparently sleep is something that happens to someone else.

So, for purely selfish egotistical reasons....

I used to surf with Andrew Ridgeley (Wham), because we were neighbors in Wadebridge, Cornwall and I frequently mocked his long board (now I want one). The Ex and I even baby sat for him once.

I was William Hague and Ffions expeditions  guide in Greenland in 2000 and took her Jet skiing and ice diving.

I got caught cheating on selection, when we (I, to be fair) broke into the Cwm Guidi battle camp for a shower and a warm bed. Compounded by stealing a Moggy minor from the civi car park at the foot of Pen y Fan (turned out to belong to a SGT Staff, not happy, even though we put it back after a quick run to Brecon for a curry). Found out after blagging a lift from a local in his pickup back to the exercise area and having to stop to let a Staff Landie pass and not really being able to hide in the pickup bed...

Selection unsuccessful at that time, however did lead to other interesting opportunities on the basis of resourcefulness and general shutzpah..

Oh yeah, got drunk with Jim Davidson and cast (we did, he was on lemonade/the wagon) after  a performance of "Sinderella" . HMS Westminster was commissioned in the Pool of London and he sent the SNR Rates an invite (I was a PO Tiff then). Snogged one of the dancers too (a girl before you chime in Dense).

And, last ego boost I promise.

I was Boat Owner Magazine's feature designer once...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:42:08 am by Oldmanmatt »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#98 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 21, 2016, 07:54:40 am
I aimed some British Climbing Scene style heckling at Seal and Normski while they flailed on the snow at Le Tour in front of the cameras for Board Stupid.

Seal took it well

fried

• forum hero
#99 Re: non climbing claims to fame
January 21, 2016, 09:17:13 am
I worked with Nod from Fields of the Nephelim for a short while. Probably more famous for the spoof 'Nod's corner' in Melody Maker.

Nice bloke, gave me a free cassette of his new band  I didn't listen to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal