UKBouldering.com

A blessing in disguise........... (Read 2494 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 02:40:52 pm
OK, this is a weird one and in no way affects my climbing.

I was struck down with a cold/man flu about 9 months ago. It really knocked me for six and it took me about a month to feel 100% again. I thought to myself all was well, but I've never really regained my sense of smell! It is pretty annoying to be honest. If someone is cooking some food I can smell "something" but it doesn't make any odds whats being cooked. Lasagne, sunday roast, shepards pie anything, it all smells the same. There is a pub out the back of my shop, whatever they cook it all smells the same!!! Its pretty strange as I can taste stuff OK, I think so anyway. I do smoke but only rollies and not many a day, maybe 10.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

It does suck when you cant smell a nice roast or a bacon sarnie, but with Golt Jnr less than 2 months away the ability to NOT smell freshly filled nappies could be a lifesaver!!  :-\

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 06:18:14 pm
I've had similar the same for around 2-3 years, although I don't think I ever really recovered from the original cold as my nose still feels partially blocked and runs a lot.  Not so much that everything smells the same, more that scents just don't really register unless they are incredibly strong or I pretty much snort the food / booze etc.   

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#2 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 06:37:16 pm
Its funny you mention having a cold 2-3 years ago Moose.

I reckon I've had a runny nose/shitty cold since I was about 8! Its always running and I'm always sniffling. Pain in the ass.

I also need to practically stuff the food up my nose to get a proper wiff of it. Just had an Indian and couldn't smell it at all.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#3 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 07:16:03 pm
You guys might both want to get some allergy tests done. I have a really harsh dust allergy which has haunted me since birth and it's horrible shit. I'm sneezing all the time with it and have a blocked nose for much of the time.

The one thing I have found to ease congestion and also generally promotes good health, is eating lots of fresh strong chillies with my curries. I believe that they're vitamin C super concentrated as well which is a bonus. I have a lot of time for chillies I tell thee!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#4 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 08:32:43 pm
I have a lot of time for chillies I tell thee!

Oh hell yeah!! I'm already quite partial to chillies as it is!!

I was brought up on a farm, this farm to be precise

and so dealt with hay time and the load of shit that came with it so I don't think its an allergy. I don't know if its worth me going to the quacks, I know it wouldn't hurt to go but I feel a bit stupid  :-[

BenF

• forum hero
#5 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 08:33:38 pm
Do you use your nose for recreational purposes? 

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#6 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 08:36:19 pm
Not so much recreational purposes sadly, my "Dayz of class A'z" are long gone....... if thats what you mean  ;)

If you don't mean that, I do miss smelling my own guffs in a recreational manner.

BenF

• forum hero
#7 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 08:43:39 pm
Funnily enough, I hadn't thought of the second reason.  However, I feel your pain.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#8 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 08:47:04 pm
The pain is real, and strong.

I now rely on my girlfriend to let me know the potentness of said guffs. Unfortunatly her grading scale has 2 levels: No action taken, or swift exit of room. Which leaves me to ponder the calibre of the guff.

Maybe I might have to go the doctors after all, the memories............

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#9 Re: A blessing in disguise...........
November 20, 2006, 11:11:50 pm
Get down the quacks lad and get some tests ran. As long as the pain isn't from the chillie farts, it can't be anything to worry about ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal