UKBouldering.com

Proper Wad Ticks (Read 112716 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#100 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 16, 2006, 10:47:38 pm
Sure Ant mentioned something years back about taking Mr Moon out in a game of five a side and it getting close to a kickoff. Did there used to be regular games? This could have course been a joke.

Seriously though, that headbutt mullarkey has got me interested!?

webbo

• forum hero
#101 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 08:32:55 am
kyloe out back in the day watching bob and tommy smith start to panic as  john syrett in formed them he'd nearly managed to climb the then unclimbed line of first born.

being at stoney cafe when rons team of al evans and geoff birtles realised gabe regans team were heading to raven tor and participating in the race to crag as they both thought they had the same new route in mind.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#102 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 09:36:18 am
Andy Popp's Northunberland stag do extravaganza in the company of Dawes - Paul Pritchard, Nick Dixon, George Smith, Waddy, Wainwright.....Grimer! (pretty sure Mr. Popp didn't know who the fuck I was).

Shagging someone elses wife in Andy Kirkpatricks attic.

John Bachar at Raven Tor.

Wedged in the no hands rest of Cry of Despair wearing Lazers, watching Fabien french dude (8c+ wad who was killed in a car crash in the mid 1990's) belayed by Liv Sanson (or however you spell her name) falling off the sloper move at the top of Rapid City on-sight in the first pair of Lace ups I'd seen in action and thinking, 'why is he wearing those shit 5.10s?' . He'd just flashed Powerplant with an egyptian about 10 mins before.

Meeting Dawes in the Leadmill and watching him take his clothes off on the dance floor to reaveal a black lycra Borat style wrestling outfit.

Watching Bransby wobble up Time for Tea at Millstone when he was about 10 years old, and my gobby mate taking the piss out of him for being a sport climber. Said Gobby mate gave up climbing some years ago. Said Bransby didn't.

Watching Leo solo Demon Rib and Velvet Silence, both on-sight, when he was 14, spotted by John Allen.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#103 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 09:53:13 am
...being refused service in the Chequers with Neil Travers, Chris Wright, Nige Prestige, Mike Lea and Bill Hine for looking too scruffy. The shot of Nige on Strapadictomy in On Peak Rock was taken that day.

Going to Pyjama Jump dressed as a woman with Chris Wright.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#104 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 11:34:12 am
Been a bit of talk about Body Mass Index. I dunno if I can rival the greats but Im pretty thin.

BMI = 18.2      :-\

I have never been anything approaching a great climber but I have always been one of the greatest skinny cunts. Being a skinny cunt is, in itself no big deal.

Here endeth the sermon. Must get back to writing risk assessments  :'(

speaking as a fellow skinny bastard I agree.... BMI=17 (average weight 9 3/4 stone, height 6'3") but more of an affliction than anything.  Recently found that whereas in heavier days (i.e 11 stone) I used to be able to do sets of ~30 chin-ups and 70 press-ups I can now only do about a third of those numbers.  Seem to have lost a lot of plain brawny strength that I hadn't really noticed due to improvements in technique and finger power.... Also have developed Reynaulds-esque circulation problems in my fingers which I suspect may be related.  I think an emergency pie-eating diet may be required but I am wary about just eating a lot in case I just get lardy without regaining the strength.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#105 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 12:26:26 pm
I once smoked a bilberry with Geoff Capes!

Once saw him in his pyjamas and dressing gown, there was a night time fire alarm in a hotel in Stratford we were both staying at (seperately).

webbo

• forum hero
#106 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 12:51:26 pm

Once saw him in his pyjamas and dressing gown, there was a night time fire alarm in a hotel in Stratford we were both staying at (seperately).

:-\

Dr T

• forum hero
#107 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 02:13:10 pm

he bought my aunt's house....
(think this is getting a bit off topic :whistle:)

BenF

• forum hero
#108 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 02:36:44 pm

he bought my aunt's house....
(think this is getting a bit off topic :whistle:)

I sat on his knee when I was a very little boy.

Nothing dodgy I'm afraid.  It was at some event called superschools, when sporting "stars" visited schools and inspired the kids.  Well he certainly inspired me to become an athlete...  I've been dragging trucks and lifting barrels ever since. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#109 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 03:05:31 pm
I beat Kurt Albert in an arm wrestling contest - raah!

(Grimer I'm sure he was with us also for a few days on the aforementioned Wad trip to Font back in 'day...)

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#110 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 04:37:19 pm
Going round to see Diminutive Gritstone Legend and him answering the door naked and with a semi. Still at least the equally legendary Gritstone Phallus was no where to be seen.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#111 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 05:12:49 pm
just remembered this one....met wolfgang gullich in a Nuremberg climbing shop in '91. He appeared as i did a rather insipid one armer(read vaguely pulling up and wobbling a bit) on a sling. he smiled and commented that i was strong(he had a slight wry smile i would add!).......

mark s

• junky
#112 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 05:32:29 pm
havin a beer in the rock with mr nadin
 come on grimer what about your week in spain with the leek lads,and surviving.

you did share a bed with dave :shag:

clm

• forum hero
#113 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 07:23:58 pm
the strong girl once got hit on by that strong american lass of el cap fame - Hill is it? She turned her down cos she didnt want to lez up.
I oncwe had a go on a cigarette which my mate scabbed of toyah battersbea.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#114 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 08:58:26 pm
More on the Nadin front: I made the tights he did Thing on a Spring in. Check the guide photo, I made those! Crap mind, never sold any.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#115 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 17, 2006, 09:02:14 pm
More on the Nadin front: I made the tights he did Thing on a Spring in. Check the guide photo, I made those! Crap mind, never sold any.

I'd buy some... :whistle:

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#116 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 01:02:57 pm
I'll check the old fabric box, then. What size does sir need? Might still have some fetching shiny blue, that was oddly never used. Does Sir want the arse pre-ripped?

mark s

• junky
#117 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 01:07:42 pm
if theyre tight on your arms they will fit his legs

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#118 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 07:28:25 pm
Met Pete Chadwick and Ewan McCallum today. Noice blokes.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#119 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 07:54:05 pm
Met Pete Chadwick and Ewan McCallum today

I know in these reality show obsessed times the idea of celebrity has been devalued to the point of meaninglessness, is climbing going the same way with the definition of wad? ;D

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#120 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 09:23:16 pm
just a little non climbing one,

trained with linford christie in 1993. he burn't me off over the 100 and gave me 15metres start. he was still doing his warm ups too....

he then completely demoralised me the next day in the weights.. doing 10 reps of high box step ups with the weight i was doing power lifts on....

he's a fountain of knowledge when it comes to training though, learnt loads over the week

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#121 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 18, 2006, 10:09:51 pm
Met Pete Chadwick and Ewan McCallum today

I know in these reality show obsessed times the idea of celebrity has been devalued to the point of meaninglessness, is climbing going the same way with the definition of wad? ;D

One mans punter belayer is another mans wad. Local legends (sort of).

I did meet Mark Hounslea once though.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#122 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 19, 2006, 10:20:40 am
My ticks are:

I shared a pint a few years ago with Pete Kirton during which time he told me that he didn't name his Vienna problem after the song by 80's electro crooners Ultravox which apparently everyone said he did, and he waxed lyrical about doing Original Route and Debauchery.  My wife used to work with him and still sees his wife on the wards in Sheffield, but then I guess anyone who works in sheffield mental health services will also know him too.

I asked Ron if he'd seen my jumper which I'd left lying around somewhere at the plantation.

Doylo

• forum hero
#123 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 19, 2006, 05:42:24 pm
Pete Chadwick is a bit of a legend, he's been climbing at a good level for longer than most. 30 years is it Pete!  ;)

andy popp

• forum hero
#124 Re: Proper Wad Ticks
November 19, 2006, 07:16:06 pm
I don't think its quite 30 as he'd have to have started at 10. I think I've got a couple of years on him - but this starting to turn into a cocktalk thread (who's been climbing longest) merged with the four quiet Yorkshiremen (back in my day E5 MEANT E5)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal