UKBouldering.com

Retro claim amnesty (Read 16302 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
#25 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 15, 2006, 12:33:54 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with original point, but can I just say the obvious relating to the Peak: wouldn't it be a lot easier to keep track of who did what and when, if peakbouldering.com existed?

You know I'm right, dontcha. 8)

Panton you fool! Such a site already exists- www.ukbouldering.com   ;)

tc

• junky
#26 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 15, 2006, 04:41:27 pm

You'll also need to get a full lowdown from Ste Bromley.  The guy mis-spent most of his younger years there and I really do mean most of his days and years there. 

True, but we were there when the rock cooled, man  :whistle:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#27 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 15, 2006, 07:33:38 pm
You'll also need to get a full lowdown from Ste Bromley.  

Excellent cheers Ben, shall drop him a line some time soon. Si has mentioned not so long ago that Owen might be producing an updated topo for the main wall with the eliminates also detailed on it. Have I imagined this? I'm probably fishing for scraps here, but anything that's not listed in the Cheshire sandstone guide and of note would be duly noted.

And who, if anyone will claim a rare ascent of Haston's Dyno?

BenF

• forum hero
#28 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 16, 2006, 08:15:14 am
Si has mentioned not so long ago that Owen might be producing an updated topo for the main wall with the eliminates also detailed on it. Have I imagined this?

Erm, maybe.  Maybe not.  I think there has been talk of it.  It will probably remain as that.

I'm probably fishing for scraps here, but anything that's not listed in the Cheshire sandstone guide and of note would be duly noted.

If you mean across all the merseyside crags; get your notebook out, it needs filling. 

Monolith

• forum hero
#29 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 16, 2006, 06:57:28 pm
Good stuff. Not too fussed about info from other Merseyside venues, it's just the Breck is so close to home, it would be nice to know of anything not in the guide. For some weird reason, I only seem to frequent Frodsham in summer, and I always end up there when it's about 200 degress.

BenF

• forum hero
#30 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 17, 2006, 08:04:52 am
Not too fussed about info from other Merseyside venues

And to think, I was beginning to like you!   ;)  ::)

For some weird reason, I only seem to frequent Frodsham in summer, and I always end up there when it's about 200 degress.

Yeah, it's basically just minging anytime between May and September.  Dry periods from now onwards are the best.

Monolith

• forum hero
#31 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 17, 2006, 08:11:28 am
 :lol:

I'd love to frequent other venues, but have a serious lack of transportation at the moment I'm afraid dude. Will make every effort in the future to learn from ye olde wise ones  ;)

BenF

• forum hero
#32 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 17, 2006, 08:38:09 am
Will make every effort in the future to learn from ye olde wise ones  ;)

:lol: Right, that's it.  I definitely don't like you anymore.

clm

• forum hero
#33 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 17, 2006, 07:02:38 pm
What is the retro claim ettiquette? The preclaimer or the reclaimer?
Or the Proclaimers? i think that would be better.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#34 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 20, 2006, 11:12:55 am
somebody's fool might know about that  :P

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#35 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 21, 2006, 06:29:38 pm
some of the better things that come to mind that i did a few years back that are worthy of a look and probably off the radar - the 'honey pot' wall on the edge, in the trees, down the track from the memorial by eagle stone (a nice crack and arete and bits and bats, all easyish but nice rock and elves/hobbits for company V2-4?)
also did a cool problem on an isolated block 400m along the edge towards chatsworth house, from gun rock, by a plantation. went from a sitter up obvious holds to a brill topout up a flake in the slab - V8ish (percy broke the first sidepull/undercut on a repeat but am sure it will still go if a little harder). Also ben p did a sweet dynamic thing from the obvious hole on the right to the same topout (V6ish).

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#36 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 21, 2006, 11:13:35 pm
oh yep and not forgetting the ship-shaped boulder down on the path below strapodictomy, in the woods, which has a right collection of slabby things, some pretty hard in an old skool way, and if i remeber a well hard unclimbed line up the blankiest bit - all visited and climbed with patter and grimer in a whirl of lycra

also its brother up the hill, a bit to the right, has a dirty hard sitter to the side wall rampline thanks to percy, and some other stuff i can't recall.....anyway we did them all years ago so don't even think about claiming them, and martin veale and mark stokes did them all years before us, while andy barker hovered slightly off the ground nearby

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#37 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 10:14:08 am
 Nice one Al, it's always good to hear about these things.
 Where is the ship shaped boulder in relation to the Sunset boulder described in the guide. For that matter have you done anything on this? We went for a look once but it was very dirty.
 Have always meant to have a look at the Gun Rock area. What does Ultra Violence look like, is it highballable, or is the landing dodgy?
 Is that side ramp thing of Percy's the one called Gibsonitus in the bouldering guide? IIRC this goes up an overhung rampy sort of thing on the right arete of a block north and downhill from the Turd Burglar block.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:52:40 pm by Bonjoy, Reason: had written never istead of very! »

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#38 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 12:22:53 pm
the ship boulder is down the hill again from gibsonitus, by the trail through the woods (directly beneath strapadictomy, but a way down) - best way to get there is by hanging left along the track after the gates, half way up the approach from the chequers, and after a few hundred metres they are up there somewhere lurking.
the dirty thing of percy's is not in the guide, nor the ship boulder all of which are worth checking - you'll know when you get there (probably closer to tombstone than anything else) - i've some pics somewhere i'll try to post if i can find them.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 12:25:25 pm
 Cheers Al, i'll definately check out next time i'm Froggat way.

grimer

• forum hero
#40 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 02:39:18 pm
I think that it might be the same as the Sunset Boulder, you know?

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#41 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 03:50:38 pm
ah could be, thought this was where adam's thing is though?
i'm confusing myself now, we need idol eyes to clear things up - still worth a look though bonjoy

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#42 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 04:03:57 pm
 Do you mean Pig Heart Boy? That's on the wall left of Sunset Slab along with Legit and Cast Off (something of a name without a line). The Sunset boulder is a big boulder down the hill in the woods below Sunset slab with some John Allen things on it

andy popp

• forum hero
#43 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 07:37:21 pm
Am I allowed to retro name or is that too confusing? If so, Ru's guide correctly, if rather amazingly, credited Little Beauty at Burbage S to me but kept John Welford's name - I called it Middle England. Just watch it be retro-retro claimed now I've said that.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#44 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 22, 2006, 09:17:26 pm
The Sunset boulder is a big boulder down the hill in the woods below Sunset slab with some John Allen things on it
thats it, silly me - I'll get my coat  ::)

andy popp

• forum hero
#45 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 23, 2006, 08:26:33 am
And I meant Little Gem obviously. Al and I should probably be banned from making any retro claims on the basis of age induced amnesia

webbo

• forum hero
#46 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 23, 2006, 08:57:24 am

Have always meant to have a look at the Gun Rock area. What does Ultra Violence look like, is it highballable, or is the landing dodgy?

my memory is the landing is a sloping platform and then another drop.i recollect it being well protected as we spent a lot of time falling off.i think it was get a couple of jams then swing your feet round to hook the lip then slap for a layaway in the crack and lay back to glory.
this might be all bollocks as it was 20+ years ago. 

grimer

• forum hero
#47 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 23, 2006, 03:20:30 pm
Hey andy, Jason once told me he'd done Little Gem before you. At least that means you don't need to worry about retro-claiming it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#48 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 23, 2006, 05:03:52 pm
Well he would say that, wouldn't he! In fact I did it just after his book came out with it in as a project - I remember telling him I'd done it and he didn't say anythng then. Besides Little Gem is a rubbish name

grimer

• forum hero
#49 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 23, 2006, 05:08:28 pm
Can't argue with any of that, I suppose. I'm only going second hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal