UKBouldering.com

Retro claim amnesty (Read 16267 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:09:36 pm
Please will the holders of all unclaimed (good) boulder problems please hand them into the authorities forthwith.
 Yes I mean you heroes who pop out of the ether with a vague retro claim in hand anytime something new gets done. Generally something along the line of "Yes I’m sure I did something in that area back in 1996, no I can't remember any more details, but it's definitely that one you just did, of course I wasn't arsed about claiming such a worthless trifle at the time, where was it again?"
 To avoid duplicated effort please tell us idiots who still look for new problems about all these lost classics, that way we don't have to thrash about the woods on wet days. Thanks.
 Going on past form there should still be lots out there. I wait with baited breath.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:48:30 pm by Bonjoy »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:36:30 pm
...and a saucer of cream to go with the crayfish and fungi... ;)

Idol Eyes? Modest? I only saw him briefly but he didn't seem the quiet, restrained type...

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:45:23 pm
this may be ok for you young folk.but when the you start to get age related cognitive problems.you can't remember where you went last week[or even to get your willie out before you start peeing] so theres little chance you can remember the details of those classic problems you did 20 years ago.back in the day when it was a slur on your sexuality to admit you'd been bouldering never mind attemt to record them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:47:03 pm
All of them? Can I safely assume you are not interested in anything not on grit / in Peak?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:48:21 pm
Fiend - Idol is only the most recent and quite excusable, at least he can plausibly plead insanity  ;)
 No cream required thanks. I trust the sarcasm isn't lost in translation. Besides, I prefer my bile neat.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 02:56:05 pm
SA Chris - Every last one, in every corner of the world please. Supplementary topos are optional, photos aren't.

Webbo - Terribly bad memory until prompted by someone finding something. Think a bit harder, mental exercise is good for memory

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:10:35 pm
Please will the holders of all unclaimed (good) boulder problems please hand them into the authorities forthwith.
 Yes I mean you 'modest until proven otherwise' types who always pop out of the ether with a vague retro claim in hand anytime something new gets done. Generally something along the line of "Yes I’m sure I did something in that area back in 1996, no I can't remember any more details, but it's definitely that one you just did, of course I wasn't arsed about claiming such a worthless trifle at the time, where was it again?"
 To avoid duplicated effort please tell us idiots who still look for new problems about all these lost classics, that way we don't have to thrash about the woods on wet days. Thanks.
 Going on past form there should still be lots out there in those festering mind tanks. I wait with baited breath.

:agree: Give us the  :read: or stay schtum.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:13:53 pm
webbo - Terribly bad memory until prompted by someone finding something. Think a bit harder, mental exercise is good for memory

i think i was joking but i forget.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:17:27 pm
S'ok Webbo it was but a mock chiding

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:38:42 pm
I actually did Hubble in 1984. I was 8 and it was piss. Adam Ondra - kiss my swingers!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#10 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:43:01 pm
Clearly it's been a very long downhill journey since then dobbin... I never realised how much turmoil you must have suffered keeping that a secret for so long... I did see that sad look in your eyes every time you didn't do Basic Ben.

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:43:27 pm
You're lucky you included the "(good)", otherwise there'd have been a flood of crap'uns from me and R-man (well, a flood from me, and a list from r-man)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:49:29 pm
SA Chris - Every last one, in every corner of the world please. Supplementary topos are optional, photos aren't.

You mean photos are obligatory then? In that case there may be some bitter disappointment for you to go with that bile.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 03:58:46 pm
In the absence of bile, fats become undigestible and are instead excreted in feces. In this case, the feces lacks its characteristic brown colour and instead are white or grey, and greasy.
And we wouldn't want that now would we?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#14 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 04:10:51 pm
You're lucky you included the "(good)", otherwise there'd have been a flood of crap'uns from me and R-man (well, a flood from me, and a list from r-man)

I think this topic is intended for retro claims... You've hardly been climbing more than a couple of years...  ::)

Besides which, you haven't climbed many of my problems...so don't start implying they're crap...  :spank:   ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 04:12:43 pm
Only because they're too hard!

cofe

• forum hero
#16 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 07:01:05 pm
i do remember doing a big traverse at stanage on slopers. i think it was at the bottom of end slab. might have involved double two hooks. can't be sure though. was a good 20 years ago. 

clm

• forum hero
#17 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 07:24:51 pm
iva actually been a retro claimer. the non retro claimers dont listen anyway so theres seems to be little point.  guy didnt semm to think that the fact that the place wasa good 2 hours from any kind of civilisation was goos enough reason not to write a massive me me me article.  and he wire brushed the fuck out of a perfectly climbable piece of rock. ooooh, the arrogance.

Paz

• junky
#18 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 07:40:29 pm
If you're worried about your problems being retroclaimed then simply add in a sit start - these `done years ago' retro claimers have difficulty enough admitting to claiming boulder problems let alone sit starts. 

Then we can all get on with the important task of sorting out where the most logical and natural sitter starts from. 

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#19 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 08:26:19 pm
Bonjoy, I like the cut of your gib here. I'd love to know a what's what of the treasured Breck. The main wall, aside from the existing Cheshire Sandstone lines, has surely garnered a decent body of eliminates together and I'd like to know the lowdown before such retro-propositions begin to proliferate. Will tc come out of the woodwork to speak on this?

In fact, please tc come out of the woodwork so as to bring a new sense of fulfillment to my doorstep venue!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#20 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 09:05:00 pm
clm - did you type that with your knees?

Cofe - Paul Mitchell already beat you to the retro claim on that one, I shit you not! He relented after I posted a dog turd in a burning envelope through his letter box.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:33:29 am by Bonjoy »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 10:11:56 pm
i do remember doing a big traverse at stanage on slopers. i think it was at the bottom of end slab. might have involved double two hooks. can't be sure though. was a good 20 years ago. 

:lol: Inevitable  :lol:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#22 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 14, 2006, 10:56:58 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with original point, but can I just say the obvious relating to the Peak: wouldn't it be a lot easier to keep track of who did what and when, if peakbouldering.com existed?

You know I'm right, dontcha. 8)

tc

• junky
#23 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 15, 2006, 10:51:18 am
Bonjoy, I like the cut of your gib here. I'd love to know a what's what of the treasured Breck. The main wall, aside from the existing Cheshire Sandstone lines, has surely garnered a decent body of eliminates together and I'd like to know the lowdown before such retro-propositions begin to proliferate. Will tc come out of the woodwork to speak on this?

In fact, please tc come out of the woodwork so as to bring a new sense of fulfillment to my doorstep venue!

Sorry, I've been busy recently (see: http://www.cordee.co.uk/CNB029.php) with my magnum opus. What do you want to know?

BenF

• forum hero
#24 Re: Retro claim amnesty
November 15, 2006, 12:08:56 pm
I'd love to know a what's what of the treasured Breck.

You'll also need to get a full lowdown from Ste Bromley.  The guy mis-spent most of his younger years there and I really do mean most of his days and years there.  In the process he probably climbed almost everything conceivable.  You may have noticed him posting occasionally as Bromonge (I presume). 

If you want some full-on Merseyside/Cheshire sandstone action Mono, me and Owen can show you a very good, if eliminate and rather contrived time at Pex or Frodsham at some point.  I'm pretty psyched for them both at the moment.  Just need to get rid of this rain stuff. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal