UKBouldering.com

Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder (Read 4266 times)

runt

• obsessive maniac
Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 07, 2006, 04:57:57 pm
Anybody got one? and are you happy with it? Be really useful to hear the thoughts of ukb folk using camcorders for climbing footage. At the moment it's between this and getting a canon mvx 460, but tricky to know if going for an entry level 3ccd is worth loosing AV in out etc, that you get for the same budget on the single ccd models.
Cheers for any thoughts

chappers

• forum hero
#1 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 14, 2006, 09:38:52 am
just get one that fits a WIDE angle lense on it! ive got a p/sony one and its been good (DV) not too sure about all this new hard disk stuff, but will cost $$$ i bet.
getting some good software to edit on is also important.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#2 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 14, 2006, 02:55:13 pm
We've got a couple of JVC HD cameras that we use for filming comps plus training sessions. They seem pretty good, give you 4 (I think) levels of quality that allow up to 24 hours of recording (30GB) at the lowest level.

Easy to use no messing around buying tapes or discs, just plug it into your laptop and off you go.

GraemeA at work.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#3 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 14, 2006, 03:47:38 pm
It's worth remembering that any HDD based camera is still behind in terms of image quality than a CCD camera. By choosing to buy a HDD camcorder now you are becoming a new adopter of technology which means several things; You will be paying over the odds for something that isn't up to scratch yet. It will devalue so fast you'll be using it as a paperweight rather than trying to sell it for what you think is an insult to your intelligence. You will play a tiny part in the further research/promotion/production and general future of HDD technology. So when it does become decent quality we will have you to thank!

runt

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 14, 2006, 03:55:20 pm
Cheers blokes, I hear you on the reduction in quality on the hard disk models, the gs180 is a minidv though. A re-think is in order on it as a wide angle is £110+ :thumbsdown:
Folk seem to think well of the sony hc24- hc46 etc and the like, so heading down that route unless anyone tells me they're feeble?

Fj

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 14, 2006, 08:06:50 pm
I bought a Sony HC90 (now HC96) last year which is the next step up from hc42/46. At the time it was a choice between that and the gs150/180. I think the main difference between the two was the 3 ccd's vs 1. The image quality on the Panasonic is supposed to be better, but the Sony would handle low light stuff better. I figured it would get most use in the grit season and our winter days are usually fairly dull. In the end I got a good deal on the Sony which clinched the deal.
I managed to get a decent 0.6x wide angle lens from hong kong on ebay for £30 + £5p+p which retailed at £60 on sony style. Theres also the raynox options which go a wide as 0.3x (albeit with lots of vignetting at the edges) and clip on to a range of sizes.
camcorderinfo is fairly good for any more info and pixmania it probably the best site for prices.

chappers

• forum hero
#6 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 15, 2006, 10:53:42 am
I bought a Sony HC90 (now HC96) last year which is the next step up from hc42/46. At the time it was a choice between that and the gs150/180. I think the main difference between the two was the 3 ccd's vs 1. The image quality on the Panasonic is supposed to be better, but the Sony would handle low light stuff better. I figured it would get most use in the grit season and our winter days are usually fairly dull. In the end I got a good deal on the Sony which clinched the deal.
I managed to get a decent 0.6x wide angle lens from hong kong on ebay for £30 + £5p+p which retailed at £60 on sony style. Theres also the raynox options which go a wide as 0.3x (albeit with lots of vignetting at the edges) and clip on to a range of sizes.
camcorderinfo is fairly good for any more info and pixmania it probably the best site for prices.

read as above, i got my wide angle lense from fleebay too, i dont even take it off the camera now. as far as i can see, sony is best for picking up cheap parts...but i warn you, if you ever need it to be fixed out of waranty..it will cost you, just for them too look at it, before parts is £100 i think. lucky then that i found a small photo shop to help me out with a new lcd screen after mine fucked up in the feezing weather at curbar.
mine is an HC46 (i think). no complaints at all.
do not by one of those DVD ones.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 16, 2006, 01:06:17 pm
Thanks for the advice and links, useful stuff, have gone the sony path along with a manfrotto monopod you could break heads with 8)

Chappers, d'you use some sort of cover for it now in winter? If curbar sent yours to the shop I think I might have problems in Sweden. I've seen some proper iffy looking sony (fisher price style) rain/snow covers, but there must be something better on the market......? plastic bag it is then 

chappers

• forum hero
#8 Re: Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder
November 20, 2006, 09:13:10 am
i have constructed a cover from bubble wrap for skiing with it, but i never use it climbing. it should be fine, just the lcd screen froze, and because it is touch screen play back control it was a bit fooked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal