UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1944047 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7100 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 23, 2023, 09:13:15 am
Great vid Liam, makes me long for the grit (not as hard though!)

And new Sheigra one for tonight, what a time to be alive!

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#7101 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 23, 2023, 12:10:24 pm

Another amazing trip to Sheigra. Perfect weather, and loads of new problems. Ace!
Brilliant as always Robbie, great effort  :2thumbsup:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#7102 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 25, 2023, 10:36:45 am
After getting a bit burnt out on endlessly projecting hard boulders, I switched things up this year, gave up on caring about grades (forced at first, but now I genuinely have no interest in them), and tried to document the highlights in this video. It's hard putting out a video which predominantly features myself as it feels egotistical, but I've tried to tell a story and hopefully inspire others to try something new (the bits of narration were particularly hard work but I've been persuaded to keep them in...). It also features a couple of mates (Garry Lister and Chris Locke) who've been interested in climbing similar things at times.

It's just under half an hour long. If you decide to give it a go, do me a favour and watch with decent resolution and audio  :)

Great this, really enjoyed it.  Narration added to it as others have said.  The tropical looking cons on the Hawkcliffe ones made for slightly uncomfortable watching as did some of those self belay gri-gri slack loops! 

SamT

• forum hero
#7103 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 25, 2023, 10:44:07 pm
Brilliant Liam.. loved the minimalist sound track.. fitting.

:2thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7104 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 10:12:55 am
gave up on caring about grades (forced at first, but now I genuinely have no interest in them)
Really?!?!  :lol: How the mighty have fallen.... Who is going to fly the flag of training / progress obsessed Goal Climbers now?? Wellsy, your time...

It's hard putting out a video which predominantly features myself as it feels egotistical
Pfffft, if it's good clear footage of good inspiring climbs - especially they're not ones that feature daily on insta honeypotting, then the whole damn thing can be about you and it will still be good.

And it is good. Good climbs, good quality footage, pleasant soundtrack. I like some of the little nuggets like the background light working Red Alfa. Also the fan on an ab rope and the punter trying The Dawning with a bucket chalkbag on his harness  :2thumbsup: Nice that you acknowledge the pre-practised ascents and potential improvements in style there - next video featuring going ground up on a bunch of nails E4-6 6b-cs above bomber gear??

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#7105 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 05:01:01 pm
gave up on caring about grades (forced at first, but now I genuinely have no interest in them)
Really?!?!  :lol: How the mighty have fallen.... Who is going to fly the flag of training / progress obsessed Goal Climbers now?? Wellsy, your time...

It's hard putting out a video which predominantly features myself as it feels egotistical
Pfffft, if it's good clear footage of good inspiring climbs - especially they're not ones that feature daily on insta honeypotting, then the whole damn thing can be about you and it will still be good.

And it is good. Good climbs, good quality footage, pleasant soundtrack. I like some of the little nuggets like the background light working Red Alfa. Also the fan on an ab rope and the punter trying The Dawning with a bucket chalkbag on his harness  :2thumbsup: Nice that you acknowledge the pre-practised ascents and potential improvements in style there - next video featuring going ground up on a bunch of nails E4-6 6b-cs above bomber gear??

Thanks for the nice feedback. I'll probably do a few more ground up ascents, but personally I get more from the harder climbing on headpoints. We both did Massive Attack for our first pull on of the day, straight over pads. That's allegedly E5, but it felt pretty trivial in comparison to the others. Although it's an amazing line with nice moves, it wasn't that memorable for me. The other routes required a process, which to me is more appealing. Horses for courses and all that.

Saying this, I have been considering a flash attempt on Deathwatch... It's scary, but looks like fairly basic crimp pulling.

ps. I still like training  :)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7106 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 05:09:04 pm
Once you reach +50kg 2rm pull-ups you can quit training - thems be the rules!

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#7107 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 05:20:26 pm
Once you reach +50kg 2rm pull-ups you can quit training - thems be the rules!

Light work

Bradders

• forum hero
#7108 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 06:11:56 pm
Saying this, I have been considering a flash attempt on Deathwatch... It's scary, but looks like fairly basic crimp pulling.

You still need to do Cindy Crawford too. Good candidate for a flash attempt.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7109 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 26, 2023, 07:40:23 pm

I fly that flag gladly, I care a lot. I've just not got much better  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7110 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 27, 2023, 06:29:45 pm

Another amazing trip to Sheigra. Perfect weather, and loads of new problems. Ace!
That's a hell of a haul, nice one, some great looking lines there, especially the 6C-ish vert. I could feel my skin tearing off imagining the coarse sandstone.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#7111 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
August 27, 2023, 07:26:59 pm
It's actually amazingly skin friendly. I climbed 4 out of 5 days in the last week with no issues. The Gneiss is very well weather (with a few sharp pockets here and there), and the sandstone/conglomerate is generally really tough/compact so doesn't rely on friction. Not very many slopers up there. It all helps to make it a great summer venue.

So many 6s to get on up there now. And many, many more to find. We barely ventured from our usual spots and still found loads of new things to play on. Amazing fun.

probablyfinlay

#7112 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 17, 2023, 04:15:53 pm

First attempt at putting together a trip film :)) European heatwave meant it's mostly easy stuff but a lot of fun had nonetheless. Mostly chironico ? w a little brione action in there

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 04:26:46 pm by probablyfinlay »

probablyfinlay

#7113 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 17, 2023, 04:31:03 pm

First attempt at putting together a trip film :)) European heatwave meant it's mostly easy stuff but a lot of fun had nonetheless. Mostly chironico ? w a little brione action in there

^timestamps for every boulder in the vid description if that's all you wanna see lol

probablyfinlay

#7114 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 17, 2023, 05:12:30 pm

^timestamps for every boulder in the vid description if that's all you wanna see lol

35 mins of the most exciting moderate grades you’ve ever seen, recorded in the sweatiest climbing conditions known to humankind.

“Undoubtedly one of the climbing films I’ve seen in years!” - Some EuroWAD
“I bet one of these guys has a board climbing account” - anonymous informant
“These guys are certainly doing something” - Neil Grime

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#7115 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 17, 2023, 07:55:52 pm

35 mins of the most exciting moderate grades you’ve ever seen, recorded in the sweatiest climbing conditions known to humankind.

Aaaaah, reminds me of some early trips - haven't been a on good old team bouldering holiday in years!

Not sure I'll make it through the howl thing - too much on. Couple of things I picked up - while I quite like the old-skool vibe of the sketchy camera work in a way, after about 10 minutes it gets a bit grating. Most phones these days have some kind of motion stabilisation so I'm amazed you managed to...achieve that effect ;-)

Was the "holding can of over-caffeinated sugary drink company-esque drink" at the start ironic? Hope so....

I think for a "mates" video, it's fine being full length as you probably want to keep the memories, but I'd say it would be a bit more engaging and watchable if there were fewer angles and multiple people doing the same problems, and a bit more story to get you hooked in?  After a while I just started to not care much and then stopped and came back here to post this...

probablyfinlay

#7116 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 18, 2023, 09:03:26 am

Aaaaah, reminds me of some early trips - haven't been a on good old team bouldering holiday in years!

Not sure I'll make it through the howl thing - too much on. Couple of things I picked up - while I quite like the old-skool vibe of the sketchy camera work in a way, after about 10 minutes it gets a bit grating. Most phones these days have some kind of motion stabilisation so I'm amazed you managed to...achieve that effect ;-)

Was the "holding can of over-caffeinated sugary drink company-esque drink" at the start ironic? Hope so....

I think for a "mates" video, it's fine being full length as you probably want to keep the memories, but I'd say it would be a bit more engaging and watchable if there were fewer angles and multiple people doing the same problems, and a bit more story to get you hooked in?  After a while I just started to not care much and then stopped and came back here to post this...

For sure lol, was primarily just meant for our own group, and minor squabbling about who’s send to keep in the video meant a slightly bloated end product haha :) I’d say it gets progressively better through the video since it was all worked out as I went along :) looking forward to putting together some more vids with a bit more forethought+maybe a stabiliser aha.

The over-caffeinated sugary drink was our bid to secure a tenzing-esque sponsorship by winning the favour of a Swiss alternative. Any good bouldering pro at the moment seems to be drinking SOME kind of placebo-juice

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#7117 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 18, 2023, 12:52:57 pm
The over-caffeinated sugary drink was our bid to secure a tenzing-esque sponsorship by winning the favour of a Swiss alternative. Any good bouldering pro at the moment seems to be drinking SOME kind of placebo-juice

:w00t: Toxic shit, should be banned.  :devil-smiley:

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#7118 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 19, 2023, 05:58:29 am
A long awaited drop in temps in HK means i can finally get outside after hiding in airconditioned gyms all summer long - to celebrate this and get the season started in style i headed out to an area i found and started developing back in April and snuck my way up this fine little problem

Still amazes me that after almost 25-years of living here i can go out, bush whack a little bit, and find bits of rock like this that no one has touched before...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#7119 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 19, 2023, 08:15:25 am
That looks ace.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#7120 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
October 19, 2023, 12:54:30 pm
Fair play Stu, that looks quality

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#7121 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
November 01, 2023, 10:50:55 pm
found myself a bit of a king line here (probably the coolest looking bloc i've ever found):

this was bloc i found whilst exploring the HK hillsides during my post-surgery no climbing time earlier in the year - good to have got back to it now the weather is cooling down a bit out here.

Need a return trip to sort out a small platform beneath the sit so you don't slide down the hill and also see if i can clear the top a bit more so you can stay on the knife blade arête a bit longer.

P.S the name is a nod to the area the bloc is located in (near Diamond Hill)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7122 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
November 02, 2023, 08:28:15 am
As mentioned elsewhere, very cool, such an unlikely formation. Could you climb it on the opposite side, is the slab easy enough to just climb anywhere?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7123 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
November 02, 2023, 09:49:45 am
Very cool feature!!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#7124 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
November 03, 2023, 04:12:29 am
As mentioned elsewhere, very cool, such an unlikely formation. Could you climb it on the opposite side, is the slab easy enough to just climb anywhere?

The slab is pretty easy to just walk around on. As you suggest, might also try something mantling up on the right side of the arete though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal