UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1943838 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#5850 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 03:40:38 pm
Where's 'Strong Arete'?

Eskdale granite.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#5851 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 04:20:39 pm
Good stuff Haydn.

Dawid came up with a name for the Sean's Roof line. He called it Naughty Corner. He guessed 7C+, but I see you thought it was a bit easier.

Oops, I got that wrong. Naughty Corner goes from the bottom of the corner, as you probably know. He did tell me he had a name for the Sean's Roof left line, but he can't remember it right now.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#5852 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 05:01:23 pm
Hi Dan, another really nice vlog. It's great to see how your editing is getting more advanced as you've done more of them, but crucially the content - good footage of you climbing cool problems - is as strong as ever.

Can I just be a massive prick and point out there's a typo in the title: 'aboard' rather than 'abroad'.  :sorry:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5853 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 05:18:19 pm
Unless they’re actually from a board, of course, we all have our favourites....

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5854 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 06:26:57 pm
I am just going to send all my edits to TeeStub before they go live to check hahaha! cheers for the feed back!

andy popp

• forum hero
#5855 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 07:28:16 pm
Where's 'Strong Arete'?

Eskdale granite.

Thanks. I thought it looked like granite but it didn't look like the south west.

macca7

• addict
#5856 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 05, 2018, 07:31:12 pm
Dan,

Absolutely my pleasure and so pleased the concept worked so well!

Once again thanks for posting and the effort you put in to your vids they are consistently improving and great to watch.

Cheers

Macca

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5857 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 10, 2018, 06:43:36 pm

No big numbers, no fancy edits, but does feature:

• A non-guidebook crag in incredibly aesthetic conditions
  • Advanced colour coordination
  • And of course a soundtrack that as usual I really like

Danny

• junky
#5858 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 10, 2018, 07:30:51 pm
Much more relaxing than your last one. Lovely.

Murph

• forum abuser
#5859 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 10, 2018, 08:07:45 pm
I like that one. There’s no finer feeling than sitting on top of a rock after climbing up it. More vids should end like that.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5860 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 10, 2018, 08:09:36 pm
Noted :) My previous one did too.

Murph

• forum abuser
#5861 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 10, 2018, 08:33:13 pm
Excellent. I hadn’t noticed, must have been too busy Rocking out by the awesome slipknot remix to notice that detail!  :thumbsup:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#5862 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 11, 2018, 12:05:53 am
Really enjoyed your last two vids - perfect tonic as previously noted.  Rock, place and problems look great in most recent one.

gme

• forum hero
#5863 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 11, 2018, 08:26:23 am
Enjoyed that.
The Stell is a great little crag. One of my go to sports for a bit of milage. Great for doing loads of 6s.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5864 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 11, 2018, 09:57:31 am
Cheers guys <3

Gav - yeah I hadn't even heard of the Stell (apart from reading Dan V's blog about Great Expectations) until a few days ago when I started revising the NMC online guides. Lovely wee crag, like a cross between burbage bridge and doxy's pool on such nice rock (and so far nice soft grades for a change). Obviously I wasn't doing anything spectacular but if one view translates into someone diverting there instead of Bowden/Kyloe-In....

I was even more impressed by the snow drifts there - after doing the first problem I tried to walk around and step down onto a drift that I previous dropped my pads onto, and promptly plummeted up to my waist. Cue much hilarity and various attempts at mantle out - quite unsuccessful on snow - and some frantic rocking back and forth before I could slither out and empty my chalkbag of snow. Alas all just off camera  :'(

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#5865 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 11, 2018, 06:00:44 pm
Cave Arete at Edlingham is class. I had a family holiday in a cottage on the other side of the valley and could see the crag from the window.

I rocked up one evening sans pads and guidebook. Did the arete after a couple of attempts but jumped off at the big jug, not knowing it topped out. A good excuse to go back for the full tick  :goodidea:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5866 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 12, 2018, 08:51:02 am
It's piss if it's dry. E2 5b maybe, if that. I did it before as part of the easier problems there:

That time I'd brought a rope, abbed down and cleaned them because I was worried about the tops, and was surprised how easy they were. This time I didn't bring the rope, the left side of the arete was soaking, and the one useful hold on the right side was lichenous, even after leaning over the top with my brush on a stick. A fair amount of the 13 minutes was trying to get that hold in a comfortable state.

I do think it's fairly valid to jump off after the jug as it's pretty disparate in the two halves ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5867 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 09:26:10 am

Latest blah. Another crag that's not in the print guide although it is galactically famous for Dan Varian's mighty Star Power arete (visible at the end - and chalked, is this you turnipted?).

It was all quite....stimulating up there....stimulating thoughts like "Why do I keep trying this??"  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5868 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 09:52:27 am
No Country For Old Men looks amazing.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5869 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 10:51:02 am
visible at the end - and chalked, is this you turnipted?).

I went before all the snow to do a bit of filming, but believe its had quite a bit of attention recently (from Instagram). What an amazing place. That boulder you did at the start is pretty scary isn't it ha!

Good effort going there, I believe there is an online guide for the crag.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5870 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 11:44:38 am
I'm basically chasing you around The County Dan, just at 10 grades lower ;) . The Fly Tipper was the only thing I properly did there, it looked piss from the ground but the top was pretty off balance / slappy. All this was after I got the car stuck on a muddy verge, dug two deep pits with spinning tyres, and had to wait to flag down a passing car to tow me out on that very minor road with no mobile signal....just after I'd hit peak caffeine but with not enough food so had major plot loss - TBH the most fun bit of the day was powerwashing all the mud off the car on the way back ;)

Yup there is an online guide at the NMC's Issuu site: https://issuu.com/thenmc

Will, NCFOM does indeed seem ace. I'd run out of balls at that point, the landing is decent (I'd put an old fence down over the bog there), but it just felt too sketchy and given it swings left I couldn't double stack the pads. Msg me if you're ever going there...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5871 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 11:50:19 am
just after I'd hit peak caffeine but with not enough food so had major plot loss

If this had gone in the video it would have leapt straight to the Quality Vids thread, and perhaps the People's Choice at KMFF.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5872 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 01:33:12 pm
LOL I probably should have filmed it: both the car and myself covered in splattered mud, me twitching and shaking, trying to wedge some slabs of sandstone under the wheels in a howling gale and periodically retreating inside the car to spray more mud and then sit there in panic :D  ::)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5873 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 02:07:00 pm
Been there, done that while trying to wildcamp on a riverbank in desert in Utah in minivan, happened about 10 pm, extricated it at just after midnight, as if I had had to extricate it in the daytime the heat would have destroyed me. Ended up covered in red dust and sweat and bent the wheeljack, but managed it....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#5874 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 16, 2018, 02:08:37 pm
Big ups for just using two of those shitty Grivel pads, I assume your beer towel was in the wash as that would have provided more padding!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal