UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1944363 times)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5400 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 21, 2017, 08:45:51 am

Or just don't steal the music in the first place. Would you walk into HMV (if they still exist?) and steal a CD?

Vimeo used to have a library of music which was free to use as long as it's attributed etc. That's gone now but on their page about it is some links to other places you might find some:
https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/236022047-Music-Store?flash_digest=76bd90a86d14e072b813f1a4e7e7b52820ec491f

True.

Music so far has stipulations like: free to use if you have under 10K subs etc (which I can safely say will happen no time soon). Will check that link out, thanks.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5401 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 10:10:49 am
just don't steal the music in the first place.

:agree:

I'd be pretty fucking livid if I found out that a band had used my footage to make a music video, especially if they'd tilted it a bit or mirrored it to stop the site that hosted it detecting that it was mine. I'd be even angrier if there were comments praising them for it or asking them to reveal who they'd ripped it off from.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5402 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 10:25:14 am

Vimeo used to have a library of music which was free to use as long as it's attributed etc. That's gone now but on their page about it is some links to other places you might find some:
https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/236022047-Music-Store?flash_digest=76bd90a86d14e072b813f1a4e7e7b52820ec491f

Used to be a brilliant feature that, even allowed you to filter by genre, length etc as well. No idea why they inexplicably canned it but seems a weird decision, especially as its easy of use (for me at least) positively encouraged the use of music that was OK to use on your vids.

Lurker

#5403 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 09:04:46 pm
Used to be a brilliant feature that, even allowed you to filter by genre, length etc as well. No idea why they inexplicably canned it but seems a weird decision, especially as its easy of use (for me at least) positively encouraged the use of music that was OK to use on your vids.

They changed their business model, and essentially wanted more money from everyone.  They stopped it around the same time they started flagging copyright music before you uploaded videos, but unlike on Youtube where they offered it up to whoever claimed to hold rights to it to see how they wanted to proceed, they just refuse to put it live.

My beef with music usage online is that it's not proportional, or done in a way that encourages people to do it in a legit way.  As with pretty much everything they do in the digital/new media age, record labels just seem to be digging their heels in and not changing how they operate to reflect how people are using or interacting with music.  For example, the way that some labels when music is flagged on YT allow the videos to be up but they claim the money from monetising the video makes sense to me.  That way, if the video is just some random video someone's put up to show their friends, they pay what would be a proportionate amount for the use it has.  If, however, it goes viral and that person then starts to get millions of views then the label will get a proportionate amount for that.  As it is, all my dealings with licensing music have basically assumed that my little video that I'm trying to get music for is equivalent to some bigger company putting out the next big thing.  I was putting together a video series for a company before - it was only ever going to be very small viewing figures, and wasn't set out to be sold 3rd party or even sell any specific product.  I approached a label, explained the size of video, what the plan was and so on, and the guy  basically told me to fuck off because our music  budget was too small for them.  I don't see why you wouldn't just work out some way of allowing smaller video producers to be able to license them in a mutually beneficial (or even biased in the label's favour) way.  Essentially they appear to be tied to a business model of trying to sell fewer items at a larger margin and make their money that way, rather than sell way more at a lower margin.

dave

#5404 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 10:54:28 pm
Essentially they appear to be tied to a business model of trying to sell fewer items at a larger margin and make their money that way, rather than sell way more at a lower margin.

Isn't this the exact model that the stock photography industry went for? i.e. "micro stock"? Frankly I would hate to see the music industry go down that route.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5405 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 10:57:51 pm
Er - I thought the music industry revenue model was turned upside down in the last few years.. in that most groups make feck all from selling downloads/streaming but get their £££ from gigs and touring. The reverse of the old model.

Lurker

#5406 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 22, 2017, 11:24:48 pm
But couldn't that also be because their labels aren't making the most of possible new revenue streams?  I know it's not the perfect example, but if you compare the music industry's initial response to music piracy was doing big showpiece courtroom shenanigans, but then started moving towards models like Spotify (hence the 'not the perfect example' thing - I know the amount artists get paid through that sucks, but arguably it's still better than nothing, and also promotes them on a platform where they'll be more likely to be discovered by people who haven't heard their music before).

Essentially they appear to be tied to a business model of trying to sell fewer items at a larger margin and make their money that way, rather than sell way more at a lower margin.

Isn't this the exact model that the stock photography industry went for? i.e. "micro stock"? Frankly I would hate to see the music industry go down that route.

I'd say it was a different scenario, not least because shooting for stock has always been an absolute clusterfuck.  Essentially you've got a lot of photographers all shooting examples of the same already established ideas/concepts for the most part - with music I'd say it was different in that you've got artists creating an original piece without thinking of a possible end use, that an editor might then happen to want to use.  I guess you could say that stock music libraries are similar to stock photography libraries, but we're not really talking about that, or at least I'm not...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5407 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 23, 2017, 11:35:32 pm
just don't steal the music in the first place.

:agree:

I'd be pretty fucking livid if I found out that a band had used my footage to make a music video, especially if they'd tilted it a bit or mirrored it to stop the site that hosted it detecting that it was mine. I'd be even angrier if there were comments praising them for it or asking them to reveal who they'd ripped it off from.

I'd think it was bloody brilliant.  But them I'm a rank amateur, and have no financial incentive behind any of it. 

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5408 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 24, 2017, 08:14:34 am

I'd be pretty fucking livid if I found out that a band had used my footage to make a music video...

I'd think it was bloody brilliant.  But them I'm a rank amateur, and have no financial incentive behind any of it.

Which illustrates the difference between musicians who allow their music to be used by anyone free of charge and those who don't. Looking at your last video it isn't set as having a Creative Commons licence- if you sort that out people will know you're cool with it.

In the sense that my films cost me money to make (the BMC paid me a bit for Stonnis and more for my current project but both were mainly funded by the wages from my full time job) I'm an amateur too.

The overwhelming majority of musicians are the same as us- for most people even having a record deal means you still work a part time job and none of us have recourse to doing much about each other stealing our work if/ when it happens. Playing by the rules of the licensing system is principally a courtesy to your peers.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5409 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 26, 2017, 02:37:00 am

I'd be pretty fucking livid if I found out that a band had used my footage to make a music video...

Which illustrates the difference between musicians who allow their music to be used by anyone free of charge and those who don't. Looking at your last video it isn't set as having a Creative Commons licence- if you sort that out people will know you're cool with it.
Cheers!  I'll make sure to set that for my vids. 

Kingy

• forum hero
#5410 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 26, 2017, 08:57:24 am
Enter the Dragon Font 8A+ at Tremeirchion

youtube.com/watch?v=AZj3szlpj_4

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5411 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 27, 2017, 06:55:22 am
Plywood master and Growled (8A) at Whitehouses for those that are interested. Switched to editing on premiere pro... think it much better than final cut but more time consuming. interested to know what others use/think???

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5412 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 27, 2017, 07:55:45 am
Switched to editing on premiere pro... think it much better than final cut but more time consuming. interested to know what others use/think???

I use Final Cut. Never tried Premiere but I'm intrigued as to how it can be better if it's slower to use?!

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5413 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 27, 2017, 09:26:43 am
Slower probably because I am not used to the program, however have used photoshop, indesign etc quite a bit so up to speed with the shortcuts.

I think it offers a lot more than FCP; built in features such as, colour grading, speed ramping, audio and the ability to tie in after affects could be unreal. I don't think I will go back to FCPX to be honest.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#5414 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 02:16:51 pm

Just enjoyed this edit.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5415 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 03:14:55 pm
I liked that too. Is it legit to lamp at Anston?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#5416 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 03:23:09 pm
It's probably not ideal but you wouldn't be seen from the road, so you'd only ever be discovered by someone else using the woods at night....local youths, doggers and people hiding murder victims. I've never fancied it!

36chambers

• forum hero
#5417 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 06:15:04 pm
Does anyone actually climb Black Crow from sitting?

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#5418 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 06:52:04 pm
I did after a first did it, doesn't really add any difficulty just adds a bit more good climbing.

T_B

• forum hero
#5419 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 07:35:53 pm

Yes. Why not? It's not a totally trivial move. Next you'll be saying people do undercuts-to-crimp/sloper at the Tor starting matched on the undercuts ;)

36chambers

• forum hero
#5420 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 28, 2017, 10:54:27 pm

Yes. Why not? It's not a totally trivial move. Next you'll be saying people do undercuts-to-crimp/sloper at the Tor starting matched on the undercuts ;)

Just feel like I've seen it done more from stand than from sit.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5421 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 01, 2017, 09:57:24 pm
Part 2 of 9

By the way I didn't figure out where the creative commons setting was at, any ideas?

JackAus

• junky
#5422 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 02, 2017, 11:02:56 am
Part 2 of 9

By the way I didn't figure out where the creative commons setting was at, any ideas?

4.00 Dab. Round again...  :P

I'm liking these vids Todd.  :thumbsup:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5423 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 03, 2017, 05:26:55 am

4.00 Dab. Round again...  :P

I'm liking these vids Todd.  :thumbsup:
Good Catch. Time to go back...

And thanks!
There are some really amazing lines that will come out a bit later.

Kingy

• forum hero
#5424 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 03, 2017, 08:40:27 am
Silence of the Trams (sit) V11 on the Orme

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal