UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1944345 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#400 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 26, 2008, 05:52:11 pm
Shite vid.

Very impressive display of body tension and fitness, love the footwork indecisiveness.

He was on this problem for a long time and made some very impressive locks on 8mm edges.  Waddage.  I think this vid only confirms my opinion that top flight boulderers are chronic underachievers.  Imagine what people could do if they really had to try hard.  The slapping/sketching, fear, sloppiness of a man on the brink.  That's not something we get to see very often.  In fact it's something one sees more often in beginners.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#401 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 26, 2008, 11:47:39 pm
It's not actually bouldering, but I felt it deserved to go in here. I was considering the fit birds thread, but I seem to get shot down whenever I put anything in there!

CanadianDave

• regular
#402 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 01:38:01 am

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#403 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 08:43:55 am
Shite vid.

Very impressive display of body tension and fitness, love the footwork indecisiveness.

He was on this problem for a long time and made some very impressive locks on 8mm edges.  Waddage.  I think this vid only confirms my opinion that top flight boulderers are chronic underachievers.  Imagine what people could do if they really had to try hard.  The slapping/sketching, fear, sloppiness of a man on the brink.  That's not something we get to see very often.  In fact it's something one sees more often in beginners.

Houd I refer you to this for my 2p on this subject.........

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,4073.msg138852.html#msg138852

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#404 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 09:22:48 am

That second one is called "Beat it like a read headed step child" - a name which had me crying with laughter. Nice one Dave.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#405 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 09:25:44 am
It's not actually bouldering, but I felt it deserved to go in here. I was considering the fit birds thread, but I seem to get shot down whenever I put anything in there!

Love the use of sound effects and fancy transitions in an attempt to make chuffing interesting to watch  :yawn: - I must make more of an effort with sound effects... ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#406 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 09:27:22 am
Attempt being the operative word.  :yawn:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#407 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 09:38:23 am
Houd I refer you to this for my 2p on this subject.........

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,4073.msg138852.html#msg138852

Sorry Jasper, but I've never seen what you describe in the flesh, I'm sure it occurs, but I've yet to see it.

cf.  A marathon runner collapsing in the road when they've pushed themselves so hard.  Boulderers don't reach their physical limits, they just don't.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#408 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 10:10:36 am
That's a shit analogy though. You're not going to collapse with exhaustion after a four move problem however near your physical limit it is. FFS how many times do you try and try and try something only for it to feel easy when you do it. This doesn't mean that you can automatically do something much harder or in fact that you can even repeat the problem. Sometimes it just means that you got it perfectly right and everything, conditions, technique, power levels, mental state and TRYING REALLY FUCKING HARD clicked. I refute the claim that nobody is trying hard 100%.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#409 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 10:14:46 am
cf.  A marathon runner collapsing in the road when they've pushed themselves so hard.  Boulderers don't reach their physical limits, they just don't.

Thats a bit like comparing chalk and cheese though.

What would be the physical limit for bouldering?  Didn't John Gill snap a tendon in his bicep whilst bouldering?  Surely that would be putting things close to the physical limit, but is far more damaging than collapsing from exhaustion which you can make a fairly good recovery from?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#410 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 10:19:44 am
I think that the number of tendon/muscle/ligament injuries that boulderers get on a fairly regular basis demonstrates that they are pushing themselves to their limits. I am right and you are wrong and I'm not listening anymore lalalalalalalalalala not listening lalalalala

Also, Houdi baby, you are making the awful mistake of trying to compare bouldering as a sport FFS. This is a serious category error. Bouldering is somewhere between an Art and a Hobby, but not a Sport;)

CanadianDave

• regular
#411 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 04:42:54 pm

That second one is called "Beat it like a read headed step child" - a name which had me crying with laughter. Nice one Dave.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the name, the video isn't an FA. First time trying this quoting business i hope it's more successful than my attempt to embed those videos.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#412 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 27, 2008, 04:57:14 pm

Do you think the sound track is meant to be ironic

a dense loner

• forum hero
#413 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 28, 2008, 09:36:12 am
out of 10 people who snap a tendon or find their bicep suddenly next to their shoulder, 10 of them haven't warmed up sufficiently. fred has done this, however he is like judge dredd, above the law

i had 2 finger injuries last year, both these were due to thinking i was warm, one was also the direct result of listening to a ginger

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#414 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 28, 2008, 11:30:44 pm
out of 10 people who snap a tendon or find their bicep suddenly next to their shoulder, 10 of them haven't warmed up sufficiently

I would disagree. 9 out of 10 maybe, but I think there are a small percentage who just push themselves to far too fast. Would anyone disagree with the fact that the pulley takes a lot longer (3x ?) to strengthen, than the muscles, or the tendon does? Therefore people who feel strong, and get on Rockatrocity after climbing for a year say, could quite easily be very well warmed up, but could still snap a pulley.

Oui? Non?

Eddies

• forum hero
#415 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 29, 2008, 06:36:05 pm

What dave graham gets up to on friday night.

Warning... contains high pitched squeals only dogs can hear!!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#416 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 31, 2008, 03:46:47 pm
Shite vid.

gabriele is a monster indeed. we were laughing about it just yesterday. the bald man coming into the frame to spot (watch in awe) him is marco, italian crimpmaster, first ascender of Out of Service.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:53:57 pm by Nibile »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#417 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
March 31, 2008, 03:51:46 pm
That Dave Graham clip should be in the Quality thread. I like it, fun video.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#418 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 01, 2008, 09:26:18 am
I heard of one guy whose finger pulley snapped so hard it actually broke the skin. Nasty.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#419 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 01, 2008, 09:51:47 am
I heard of one guy whose finger pulley snapped so hard it actually broke the skin. Nasty.

Did he cry all the water out of his body too?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#420 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 01, 2008, 10:14:42 am
Oh yus.

samos

#421 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 03, 2008, 06:25:28 pm
For sheer determination:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#422 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 03, 2008, 11:52:25 pm
Holy crap! He was psyched out of his tiny little mind!!!

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#423 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 04, 2008, 09:34:27 am
Excellent.

It was the britches and long socks that did it for him. If it was good enough for Menlove Edwards.....

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#424 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
April 07, 2008, 04:43:17 pm
My first offering from last weeks Font trip. Me doing the sit thing at Elephant that is La Barre Fixe.
I was climbing far better than I deserve that evening and this problem felt like 7a. Apparantly it is supposed to be 7b+ or something. I can't tell. 7b maybe?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal