UKBouldering.com

Recommend me some hip hop (Read 5170 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Recommend me some hip hop
October 24, 2006, 11:04:09 pm
Anyone recommend me some good hip hop. I am talking good climbing film hip hop. Like roots manuva, buck 65, The roots, that kind of stuff. Can verge on the rap side aswell.... 

thanks guys!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 24, 2006, 11:11:22 pm
Plenty.

PM me an address and I'll post you some mix tapes and compilations.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 24, 2006, 11:18:09 pm
Hardcore Cumbrian rap?  Hocking's your man!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 25, 2006, 10:40:05 am
Dunno if it's exactly what you're after but if you aren't listening to Swollen Members regularly you deserve to have your ears surgically removed.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#4 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 25, 2006, 11:17:08 am
Dunno if it's exactly what you're after but if you aren't listening to Swollen Members regularly you deserve to have your ears surgically removed.

Fiend, your a genius, top stuff!  :great:

Any more stuff like that?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 25, 2006, 12:00:51 pm
Woohoo, finally someone on here sees the light! I've got Balance, Bad Dreams, and Black Magic by the Swollen, all great.

Errr, not much that I've found - I'm into that strong beats and quirky rhymes shit though. Other stuff on Battle Axe records might be worth checking, I rate Son Doobie - Doobie Deluxe.

Other CDs I like...

Aspects - Correct English
Beastie Boys - To The Five Boroughs
P Money - Big Tings
Phi Life Cypher - Playback

partial to a bit of early Luda as well, as well as the usual chilly happy stuff like J5 and Ugly Duckling.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#6 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 25, 2006, 12:40:13 pm
anything with a beat by Dj Premier!

try checking out

Big L - The Big Picture (had this for years, still one of my favourite records)
Mos-Def - Black on both sides
Jeru the Damaja - Wrath of the Math/Divine Design
Gangstarr - anything!
Skinnyman

there is a lot out there.. some good comps/mixes

Dj Vadim - Life from the other side
Fabriclive 22 - Scratch Perverts
Dj Yoda's cut and paste mixtapes

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#7 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 25, 2006, 11:38:10 pm
On a more British theme Mark Rae's album Into The Depths has some quality stuff on it.  Including the tune off Dosage 3 where Dave Graham is trying Coup de Grace....It made it onto Jim's psyche CD.  Praise simply doesn't come any higher.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#8 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 26, 2006, 08:08:13 am
On a more British theme Mark Rae's album Into The Depths has some quality stuff on it.  Including the tune off Dosage 3 where Dave Graham is trying Coup de Grace....It made it onto Jim's psyche CD.  Praise simply doesn't come any higher.

Top tip, just downloaded it. Mind Body and Souls the tune.  :thumbsup:

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 26, 2006, 12:12:03 pm

posted on ukc earlier this year for a guy looking for buck 65 sounding stuff:

"hey malk,

if you like buck, he's done about ten albums. all are pretty good. a few of the names i can remember: vertex, language arts, synesthesia, man overboard, weirdo magnet, talikn honky blues. there are a couple of live ones kicking about at well.

other people you might be interested in: sage francis - he's done several solo albums and ep's all of which are good also stuff with a producer called joe beats, together they're called non prophets. he also has done stuff with a live band called art official intelligence. josh martinez is very good and has got several albums. john smith, mcenroe, alias, sixtoo, atmosphere, eyedea, dalek, pedestrian, dose one, clouddead, mr dibbs, jel, dj krush, the dynospectrum, boom bip, pip skid, gruff the druid, dj signify, eligh, el-p, company flow, mr lif, rjd2, blueprint, aesop rock, madlib, oddjobs, noah 23 are all worth checking out.

a lot of these people do collaborations together. some are known by several different names (eg buck 65 put out a few records under the name stinkin rich), or change their names when they're working with others. all of the above are hip hop without the subject matter that is usually associated with the genre. the production is usually very good and quite original, but may take a few listens before it becomes easy on the ear. some are quite difficult to get hold of in this country.

have a look around for people who are signed to anticon records, peanuts & corn records, strange famous, rhymeslayers or def jux. thre are some very good label samplers about.

the above are all in a similar vein to buck 65, but in general most albums that don't feature the protagonist half naked on the cover holing a gun and doing a gangster pose will be quite listenable to.

from the uk there are people like jehst, braintax, taskforce, phi life cypher, micall parknsun, tommy evans, skinnyman to name a few. check out lowlife records, music from the corner, young and restless, first word records plus several others.

have a hunt around - in general anyone who gets mentioned by someone you like will be to your taste - check the inside of your album covers for references!

that lot should keep you going for a while......"

If you looking for something specifically to go on a climbing video, check out a tune called "climb everything" by john smith - its on an album called "john smith's blunderbuss".

People like big L, lord finesse, percy p, andre the giant are all good for funky, flowing type stuff that might be good on a vid. Maybe some french or spanish stuff would be good too - zenit, sian supa cru, mc solaar etc.

can send you some stuff if you're interested.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#10 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 26, 2006, 12:49:31 pm
Brilliant, cheers for that!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#11 Re: Recommend me some hip hop
October 26, 2006, 04:43:11 pm
Hardcore Cumbrian rap?  Hocking's your man!

Seconded, Northern Noise, they iz bad boyz. Get a copy if you can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal