UKBouldering.com

barchar ladders (Read 2793 times)

rshead

barchar ladders
October 19, 2006, 10:55:46 am
what's the problem with barchar ladders? i've heard some people advocating them and others diclaiming them as an invitation to injury. I'm confused. Are they any good for strenght/power training and are they terrible for your joints (esp. elbow), is there a way you can usae them whilst minimising injury?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: barchar ladders
October 19, 2006, 10:59:54 am

It's "Bachar".

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: barchar ladders
October 19, 2006, 11:08:05 am
Use your feet when descending, that way you won't knacker your elbows quite so quickly

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: barchar ladders
October 19, 2006, 11:28:54 am
Before you start ensure to make the 'bachar' ladder out of static line to stop any bounce that can lead to elbow issues. There is no problem with bachar ladders as such its how people use them, doing anything intense when tired isnt a good idea as it leads to bad form and injuries, so stay off the ladder when you're feeling tired or if you feel your form drifting from perfection. Sound advice about descent from JB.
Twisting is meant to be less beneficial than staying front on in all forms of training for climbing (watch the pro tips clip with malc smith). I think the bachar ladder is less frequently used nowadays due to it being surpassed by the likes of the campus board. (however I reckon they would be pretty useful for myself as I find little difference in power on the big rungs of the campus board to the small ones)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: barchar ladders
October 19, 2006, 09:27:19 pm
Use your feet when descending, that way you won't knacker your elbows quite so quickly
amen to that brother.
which reminds me, need to get it out

runt

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: barchar ladders
October 26, 2006, 10:23:50 am
Have a go underneath a normal ladder if you're just getting started, means you get a couple of different rung spacings, and with a rigid ladder can easily use your feet to help you get the deeper moves, without risking popping something/swinging about. Apol if you're a beast already!

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#6 Re: barchar ladders
October 27, 2006, 12:28:12 pm
amen to that brother.
which reminds me, need to get it out

I hope you mean your bachar ladder?

Talking of which, have you ever seen the ground bolt and roof sling near sector 4 at Broughton, which were put in for a bachar ladder? Not taken mine yet but it's probably long enough, might bring it next week.

You still keen on sorting those campus rungs out as well?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal