UKBouldering.com

Money for Old Bolts (Read 3434 times)

mireeves

• regular
    • markreevesclimbing
Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 10:07:42 am
Hi

There is going to be a more complete update with regards the re-equipping of the slate quarries in due course. For the moment though I just wanted to keep you up to date with a couple of fundraising ideas that have been added to the already successful sale of the old guide, as well as the numerous and at times generous donations.

Firstly, there is currently a selection of 'Old Bolts' from around the quarries at the Beacon Climbing Centre, which can be collected for any small donation to the fund. With so many hanger accumulating I thought that it might be nice to recycle them as keyrings, so just like the charity wristbands climbers who help the cause have a lasting momento, that says 'you' support the effort.

Along the same lines as this, and mainly for a bit of fun I have recently replaced the hangers on John Redhead's ultra bold and infamous Rainbow Slab route Raped By Affection. I have kept the hangers, and am in the process of mounting them on a small piece of slate. We have also been in contact with JR and we are hoping that he will donate a signed copy of one of his books. The aim is to offer it up as a charity auction piece on Ebay. As soon as we are ready to start the auction I will get a premiere post up and running.

Thanks already for your generous support, we have already placed nearly 200 bolts, in around two months.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 11:56:54 am
Good effort and good idea. Have some waddage...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 01:49:44 pm
What about the bolts on Klienian Envy? Wouldn't mind one of those as a key-ring. There was a great photo of Andy Pollitt on it in High way back in the day, may have been used as a Scarpa advert as well IIRC.

Oh, have somw waddage for the effort as well  :thumbsup:

mireeves

• regular
    • markreevesclimbing
#3 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 04:33:05 pm
God I have opened a can of worms!

I would say I would not down the details of the various dibs on bolts, but I won't. What I might do is add more to the auction at later dates if people are that keen to get hold of bolts of famous routes.

In particular I will look at replacing Very Big... soon, as well as Klienian Envy. Can't give any time frame but I will keep people informed as to whats going on when.

Doylo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 04:44:12 pm
effort Mark

IanP

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 04:48:10 pm
Can't imagine it would have the same attraction on the limestone - who would want the 4 bolt replaced 3 times from Powerplant or some such. 

But those rubbish slate bolts do hold some memories - never mind famous routes I might be tempted by the gripper clip one from from Poetry Pink or one from Splitstream myself, or maybe the top one on Sweetest Taboo which I took a 30ft slide on when I was about 20!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#6 Re: Money for Old Bolts
October 19, 2006, 04:54:38 pm
You could use those old bolts from Heading the Shot as diving weights.... :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal