One Day In History (Read 3471 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
One Day In History
October 17, 2006, 01:00:41 pm
http://www.historymatters.org.uk/output/Page96.asp

be part of the biggest blog in the UK !!

People from across the country are being asked to take part in the "biggest blog in history" to record a day in the life of the UK .

Heritage organisations are encouraging people to make October 17 "one day in history" and record a diary of their day for the History Matters website.

Organisers chose October 17 as an ordinary Tuesday of "no particular" significance in an effort to make an electronic snapshot of everyday life.

Participants are being urged to reflect about how history affected them, whether by simply commuting through a historic area, discussions about family history or even watching repeats on television.

The exercise was inspired by the Mass Observation social history archive founded in 1937 and the results will be stored at the British Library and other locations as a permanent historical record of national life.

People taking part should first record a diary of their day on October 17 of a recommended length between 100 and 650 words.

Diaries can be uploaded on to the History Matters website between October 17 and October 31.

"The wonderful thing about these records is we don't yet know what it is about them that will be interesting in the future," said David Cannadine, of the Institute for Historical Research.

"It may be that historians in the future will be amazed that on October 17 2006 we were still eating meat or driving privately-owned cars."

Fiona Reynolds, National Trust director-general, said: "It would be fantastic if hundreds of thousands of people take up this opportunity for mass online participation on October 17, 2006 and make it the biggest blog ever.

"We want this day to have its own place in history and be a snapshot of everyday life at the beginning of the 21st century."

JR

• forum abuser
#1 Re: One Day In History
October 17, 2006, 01:13:33 pm
History; its just one thing after another.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: One Day In History
October 17, 2006, 02:40:30 pm
Yeah, it was ok once but now its gone on far too long...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: One Day In History
October 17, 2006, 03:29:23 pm
are you two the chuckle brothers?

r-man

• forum hero
#4 Re: One Day In History
October 17, 2006, 03:38:42 pm
The funny thing about the chuckle brothers was always the word chuckle. And when I say funny...

Don't worry J-boys, you didn't make me grimace externally, internally, infernally and eternally in quite the same way.

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: One Day In History
October 18, 2006, 09:50:51 am
I'm intrigued R-man, did you join in the blog? History matters to me because it pays my wages

r-man

• forum hero
#6 Re: One Day In History
October 18, 2006, 10:36:00 am
No, I didn't. I quite liked the idea, but something about diaries always puts me off, so in the end I never got round to it.

How does history pay your wages? I'll make the obvious guess and say history teacher? (Half the climbers I know seem to be teachers of some flavour.)

At this very minute, history is paying my wages too - I'm working on a script for a game based on Roman history. It's not something I expected I'd be doing a year ago, but it's fascinating stuff.

Wish I could go back Bill and Ted style, and introduce some of the legendary tacticians to Real Time Strategy. When you think about it, these are the most advanced simulations of history people have access to. Would be interesting to know how accurate they really are. Ironic that the more technology moves forward, the further you can take people back...

Check this out:

http://www.slitherine.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal