UKBouldering.com

Radar detectors. (Read 5130 times)

james

• obsessive maniac
Radar detectors.
June 01, 2003, 04:37:47 pm
Has anyone got one,  I am thinking about getting one,  I lose my liscence if I get 6 points in the first 2 years so I think it would be wise to do something.  Just thinking about a detector, not a jammer.  
Would probably get 9 or 10 band (gatso, mini gatso and speed guns) with lasereye-360 and proximity readings.  Anyone got any sugestions etc.
Cheers

James

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#1 Radar detectors.
June 01, 2003, 06:45:53 pm
Yo James,

How's it going?

I'd say save your money, you know how crazy I am behind the wheel, I even owned an Audi Quatro for 18 months and I still have no points on my licence.

The secret is learning where every gatso is in your 'hood.  easier than you think, and they're all bright yellow now which is nice.  Unless the rozz are real bastards in Matlock you shouldn't have too much problem with random speed checks, and to be caught twice in the first year would be serioulsy unlucky.  Save your rally driving to the night time, much easier and safer.

If you do ever get stopped then put on your best queen's english and be really apologetic.  I've been stopped a few times doing really dum stuff, but always got away with it by making out I was really innocent and sorry.

Also, those things make your car a thief magnet, and taking them out every time is a bitch.

Most importantly, make sure you drive like a maniac as often as possible.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#2 Radar detectors.
June 01, 2003, 09:48:19 pm
I think we should have a discussion bout the evil's of driving fast and how you are breaking the law young man with that machine.....

on the other hand i'll talk bout the race i had down frogatt hill with this crazy old man today, came up behind me at the grouse inn and drove right up me arse so i slowed down to 25 to fuk him off till round past the white gate, I could see him swearing ( he had a full on white beard, in his 60's driving some citroen) then opened up going down with him in suprised pursuit all way to bottom doing 80+.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#3 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 09:06:36 am
Hehe

All you need to do is:

Lighten up your right foot for 2 years and after that - your choice!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 09:53:25 am
A subject close to my heart - in only 2 months, 6 of my 9 points are wiped from my license, and a month after that the remaining 3 - I will be clean again after driving relatively sensibly for 3 fucking years  :twisted:

There's tests of various things on http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

The GPS based ones are good for you regular speedtraps, and the detectors apparantly work, it's just they get triggered by lots of false postives too - most notibly supermarket automatic doors!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 09:57:11 am
I don't think the main problem is Gatsos anyway these days, as usually as TH says, they're bright orange and not hard to see. Speed traps are more and more laser based these days and the new trend seems to be for those mobile van based traps. These are the real danger I reckon and a radar detector won't help you.

Nor will a laser detector as by the time you detect it, it's most probably got you. Which leaves laser jammers - they are very illegal, but I've only heard of one case where somebody has been caught, and he was taking the piss and had been lasered six times in the same area so the filth didn't take long to put 2 and 2 together. The idea is that they jam the signal, give you an alarm and then you can turn off the jammer as you slow down, so that then they can get a real reading. Expensive, but I'm considering getting two (front and back) when I upgrade to a fast impreza.

james

• obsessive maniac
#6 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:12:58 am
The lazer guns are the thing that bother me the most.  The one I was looking at detects all four lazer types (Prolazer, Prolazer lll, Ultra Lyte and LTI 20-20)  It wasnt clear what the detection distance was so I have emailed him.  
It has also got some sort of digital procesor that cuts down on false alarms and makes it quicker on real ones.
I thought about a jammer but i think they would be too much trouble.  If the detector gives enough warning then I think I will go with that.
They are real bastards whith the guns on the matlock-bakewell road, seen them about 4 times in the last few trips.
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:19:03 am
The problem is that the laser guns have a very accurate, focussed "field of view", so that usually when you detect them, it's because they've already got you in their sights. Because they work so fast, you can detect them, hit the brakes but it'll be too late - jammers are the only thing that'll save you from a laser.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#8 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:19:10 am
Theres one in the layby at stoney, just past the cafe on at least one day a week now, BUT it leaves at round 4-30 ish. I think we all know where we can speed and this road isnt one of em. Somebody tried to overtake further up the dale a month ago and went stright into front of a truck, splat.
My father in law was almost killed on this road when run down when walking on pavement a few years ago.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:21:41 am
Quote from: "fatboySlimfast"
My father in law was almost killed on this road when run down when walking on pavement a few years ago.

He has to be one of the luckiest men around to recover from that incident - also, remember Jim Kelly who got hit at 70mph and was saved by his rucksack full of kit - his legs were a bit of a mess mind.

james

• obsessive maniac
#10 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:23:59 am
Just been reading that uk speed traps thing and it makes it sound very tough to beat a lazer.  One thing I have seen are the anti lazer films that you can stick on your number plate etc.  Ive seen them for $28 but not found them in england.
Cheers

James

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#11 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:29:09 am
hacving drove round britain for last two years in a white van with two speeds, fast or slow, trying to get home as quick as poss it has to be siad matter of luck wether u get busted sometimes. Its the hand helds or sneeky cars that will get you, I never got any points during this time but i new people who got nine points in two weeks....
I to had this hanging over me when i passed so i bought a shit car that could only just speed in, take it easy mate , me and bubs had a 18 year old mate die in a car crash when he took a corner to fast bak in the day.

james

• obsessive maniac
#12 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:30:31 am
http://www.laserbusters.com/support/buyers-guide/outside-usa/photoradar.asp
Some plate covers for different things, radar, red light, lazer etc

dave

#13 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:33:45 am
At the end of the day driving like a cock is only going to get you, or even worse, some innocent random driver/pedestrian killed. A mate of mine took out a car with a young family and baby in on the way to rubicon, and he wasn't even going that fast, luckily everyone was alright, but it makes you think.

james

• obsessive maniac
#14 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:35:24 am
Its not the fact that i want to drive at 100mph everywhere, I am generaly quite good on speedlimits.  It is just far to easy to drift up to 50 in a 40 zone without realizing it.  It only takes 1 zap per year and ive lost my liscence.  
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:37:48 am
I'm gonna go for one (or two!) of these babies:

http://www.laserbusters.com/products/beltronics/904.asp

A lot of cash, but it depends what your licence is worth to you....after nearly 3 years of paranoia I'd happily pay £500 to stop that happening again.

james

• obsessive maniac
#16 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:43:54 am
Tempting but I am woried about getting chased by a big, nasty area car.  What would happen if you got caught?
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:48:09 am
If you switch it off immedialtely and they get a second, successful reading, then the chances are they'd think it was just a temporary malfunction. Also, they'd have to chase you, stop you and search the car to find it and a lot of the laser traps are just a bloke in a van, with no car backup, so you'd be fine there.

The worst case is that they get you for "perverting the course of justice" as in this case http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2744329.stm but he's the first person to get caught in this way as far as I know, and I reckon there's a lot people out there carrying jammers.

Incidentally, nothing you can do about traffic/plain clothes cars as they probably will just use timing marks as opposed to rader/laser.

james

• obsessive maniac
#18 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 10:52:29 am
True, although I would be happier with internal ones rather than extarnal ones.  Only trouble is internal ones wont be as effective.  
Cheers

James

james

• obsessive maniac
#19 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 01:07:57 pm
Just got an email back and this is what they said

"If conditions are good and more importantly, the camara is tracking
cars in front of you then they will work fine.

They let you down when if your on a quiet road and it's not being used,
there's nothing to pick up unitl it's pointed at you. That's the
downside to all these units.

If you want protection for these, take a look at my Jammers. They are
great fun!"

Cheers

James

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#20 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 02:13:46 pm
James, how's it going... funny to see that within a few weeks of getting your license you are thinking of getting a jammer!  

I'd still say the best thing is to just keep your eyes peeled and stay aware the whole time.  You know I drive pretty quick and I've been caught on more than 10 flash camera's and not had one ticket through... Plus, the major problem is with average speed cameras.  IF they are spread 10 miles apart on a road with no exits on it then you are pretty screwed.  Thankfully there aren't many or any of these up your way!  

I'd also say dont' worry about it.  You are unlikely to be caught.  Drive sensibly though, don't get yourself killed mate!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 Radar detectors.
June 02, 2003, 02:18:28 pm
Derbyshire Constabulary are now using quite a few laser vans - they just park it up in a layby and the bloke sits in the back with the laser gun pointing out the back door - by the time you see them it's often too late.

Biker roads like the A6 are getting loads of them, not to mention the helicoptors (you ain't got no chance!) and the plain clothes cars - last one I saw was a white Mondeo.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#22 Radar detectors.
June 03, 2003, 08:03:48 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
the detectors apparantly work, it's just they get triggered by lots of false postives too - most notibly supermarket automatic doors!

:roll: Bubba, grow up, stop speeding round Tesco's car park, you'll spill yer lager :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 Radar detectors.
June 04, 2003, 08:50:05 am
Damn! Sussed - I just wanna hang with the Max Power cruisers and polish my Saxo all day long  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal