UKBouldering.com

Acer TM 8204Wlmi - blinking BIOS cursor. (Read 2932 times)

JR

• forum abuser
Acer TM 8204Wlmi - blinking BIOS cursor.
October 11, 2006, 10:45:50 am
Right then. Yesterday i recieved an Acer TM 8204Wlmi (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1907007,00.asp) off my insurance company for my old laptop the 8104Wlmi which got robbed in the verdon.

After loading on windows, (with a legit Acer copy aswell)updating,  and loading the drivers and then the smartcard security the machine reboted and now all i have is a machine which turns on, starts bios, recognises the Hard Disk in Bios, goes to the smart card verification, succeeds and then sits on a blank screen with a blinking white cursor at the top left corner.  I can't access the BIOS itself via F2 or and boot options whatsoever, it tells me its opening options but then goes into smart card verification instead, there are no error beeps or such like.  I've removed the hard disk and tried to boot with just a windows disk in but its the same story.  I get the feeling it the BIOS may need resetting by way of motherboard battery removal but am not all to happy about doing it on a notbeook or on a day old one for that.

Before i spend my life waiting for acer to pick up the phone abnd inevitably open the laptop up anyway does anyone have any bright idea as to what it might be and save me hours?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:01:44 am by JR »

JR

• forum abuser
looks like it may be going back to acer...

anyone?

nik at work

• forum hero
Have it stolen again?

squeek

• junky
Can you flash the BIOS with one from the acer website?

JR

• forum abuser
had a go trying to boot off a pen drive to with the bios files on it.  i can't get into BIOS settings so i cant change the boot order to boot anything, it doesnt seem to have the capacity to boot once its done the PSOT checks in bios.  cheers anyway.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Have you disconnected the smart card? Sorry, that may be a stupid suggestion but I don't know anything about them   :shrug:

Since it's so new, I'd return the fucker though I know how really annoying that is to do.

JR

• forum abuser
the smart card is working fine, and its validating my details no prob, its straight after that process it goes tits up.  Acer have agreed to take it back and sort it out, but its a right pain in the arse.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal