UKBouldering.com

FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 134716 times)

underground

• forum hero
#375 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 01, 2009, 11:32:21 pm
SA Chris, boerewors & droewors - I reckon these are sausagey items? At Bakewell farmers market last weekend there's a woman from Cheshire selling loads of kinds of these as well as loads of all kinds of sausage. We just wanted breakfast stuff so overlooked these but - for next time, what should we choose (I forget what the flavours were but there were a few)? They looked like UK sausages too, i.e raw minced meat inside a skin. Just in case they should be like salami, for example....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#376 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 02:26:55 pm
Folks!  I know I'm slipping into serious Si O' territory here but I just cracked open two eggs into a pan & both were double yolkers.  That's 4 in a row.

If there are any lepers in the house I am ready to cure you  8)

Before any doubting Thomas pipes up w/ a pix or STFU, it's too late, the missus has the camera & she's at her Mum's...

andy_e

• forum hero
#377 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 03:59:27 pm
All this talk of eggs has made me want an egg butty.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#378 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 07:23:12 pm
for next time, what should we choose (I forget what the flavours were but there were a few)? They looked like UK sausages too, i.e raw minced meat inside a skin. Just in case they should be like salami, for example....

droewors is a dried sausage, ideal for snacking, not great for much else. Like salami, but dryer. Perfect for eating when the skin splits when it is bent, but not dry enough to snap like a twig, and the contents totally dried out.

Boerewors is a thick sausage, and when made properly should have almost no fat in it at all and be good minced beef. If you can see visible fat under the skin, it's likely to be pretty shit and a lowgrade UK equivalent. Recommend barbequeing it preferrably over a lowish heat, and pricking skin if juices start to collect, otherwise it can split. You can get loads of flavours, as well as game and ostrich but the traditional flavour is often refrred to as "farmhouse". Otherwise go for any flavour you fancy the sound of.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#379 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 07:23:58 pm
Folks!  I know I'm slipping into serious Si O' territory here but I just cracked open two eggs into a pan & both were double yolkers.  That's 4 in a row.

You sure you aren't suffering with double vision?

andy_e

• forum hero
#380 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 07:30:44 pm
 :lol:  :alky:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#381 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 02, 2009, 07:54:44 pm
Straight up.

I know you can buy double yolk eggs, but these were not marketed as such.  The first egg was normal. 

I had them scrambled, it was too rich, scrummy but really rich.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#382 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 12:30:30 pm
What an eggreable and eggciting eggventure it's been, but the last of the 1/2 dozen has been fried and eaten, and yes, it was a double yolker!  Shame the 1st one wasn't and spoilt my half-dozen home run.  Bet it never happens again.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#383 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 12:52:24 pm
I had some from Sainsburys where the whole dozen bar a couple were doublers. Weird.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#384 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 12:57:49 pm
Could well be young hens that produced the eggs, perhaps coninciding with a fresh "clutch" of chicks being introduced (or just clearing out all the manky old hens and replacing them with new ones).

See the fountain of dis-information.

Paul B

• forum hero
#385 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 08:18:47 pm
you can buy double yokers only in Waitrose...

fatkid2000

• junky
#386 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 09:13:52 pm
Thumbs up for the fishmonger on Sharrowvale Road - got some wild salmon over the weekend - fabulous.

Ended up with a box of double yokers my wife bought recently from a farm on Ringinglow Road.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#387 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 09:28:03 pm
Thumbs up for the fishmonger on Sharrowvale Road - got some wild salmon over the weekend - fabulous.

Ended up with a box of double yokers my wife bought recently from a farm on Ringinglow Road.
Did you get some samphire? It really is the veg for fish. Anyway glad you liked the place.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#388 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 09:30:10 pm
I'm not in the habit of bumping... but get your pork needs from that butchers on Abbey lane.. *goddamn that bacon's good* was a quote from my house today. Prices are equivalent to sainsburys... no more. The pork sausages are old school, soft and succulent. Tell him you got the info he has reopened from this site, I'll be telling him that he has a new fan base  - anything to keep him out of retirement!

He is open 7 a.m to 17:00 Tues to Fri.

saturday 7:00 till 13:00

BTW, best chicken I ever ever had.. that's after 3 purchases, so not a lucky one off. £6 for one bird feeds me, the missus, a 11 yr old (aka gannet) and 3 more kids. seriously, a chicken with no added water.. amazing taste. cook with some of the bacon on ( a la game) with lemon juice over and the remains left in the cavity, butter under the skin with Thyme etc.. juices drained and then made into gravy after standing time to decant off the fats...

I'd recommend a white burgandy.. but there again I would near always drink one of those little suckers..

do it guys.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#389 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 09:49:42 pm
hell yeah rumpsteak at chalet jobert, at dame joane. so good i tried every sauce on consecutive nights. yummy yummy

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#390 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 03, 2009, 09:53:23 pm
god damn....

have one for me

fatkid2000

• junky
#391 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 04, 2009, 09:18:22 am

[/quote]
Did you get some samphire? It really is the veg for fish. Anyway glad you liked the place.
[/quote]

Yeah - got samphire as well which I love - the place was really busy & some friends who went down later reported they had virtually sold out - which sounds like they are doing well.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#392 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 04, 2009, 11:41:27 pm
Not really sure where to post this, food thread or places thread, but I've had some cracking food in Ilkley this weekend.

What used to be my regular (Ilkley Angling Association meeting place and pretty slack on checking age of young drinkers), The Wheatley Hotel, has been magnificently refurbished inside and out and is now called The Wheatley Arms. The food is excellent. We were a party of 14, including several kids and a couple of teenagers. The service was faultless. The place is pretty big - loads of tables spread over several rooms and plenty of space outside, but the food arrived in reasonable time. Everyone enjoyed their food. I had the slow roast belly pork served with a black pudding and lemon(?) potato cake thing and a wonderful soy/gravy/sweet something sauce that I couldn't work out what it was - this was the best restaurant meal I have had for a long time. Other people's meals I tasted were just as good - rack of lamb (from the specials board), sea bass with a bit of salmon, moules mariniere, ham and eggs, the kids spag bol.
Everyone had a desert. These were all great. We shared panacotta, an interesting bread and butter (and pain au chocolat) pudding, creme caramel with crunchy bits, the house variation on Eton mess, kids milkshakes with flapjack, great ice cream.
It averaged out at less than £20 a head for main and dessert.
The quality of the food could have justified prices 50% higher.

The other place I've been enjoying in Ilkley is Rohans Indian Restaurant by the railway station. We've had plenty of takeaways and a few good sit down meals there over the last couple of years. Their tandoori mixed grill starter is gorgeous (and great value for £5.50 - big starter for 2 people), their house specials (some named after customers) are well worth trying, I particularly like their makhani dishes (like a more interesting and tastier korma), their nan bread is awesome (curse this low carb diet). We got the management to do a £40 gift voucher for my sister and her husband - they were treated like royalty and given loads of booze. The owners of the building are trying to put up the rent; I hope they manage to keep up the good value supply of great food (£6ish per curry). Never had a less than good dish from them.

I ought to mention Lishmans the fantastic butchers. The Wheatley gets some of their meat from here. Good sausages; good everything really. Not cheap, but they are good to talk to about tasty dead animals.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#393 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 05, 2009, 12:22:44 am
Now,

That is exactly why I started this thread...

Awesome.

Cheers mate

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#394 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 05, 2009, 10:16:57 am
Anyone been out harvesting Samphire, since it's the season?

Used to collect it here at Blakeney Marsh, N. Norfolk when I was young.  That mud's deadly.

dave

#395 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 06, 2009, 08:24:05 pm
heads up - anyone know where in town sells that Yabba caribean shit? my sweet revenge has run out. can order off their website but would prefer to just pick some up somewhere etc.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#396 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 06, 2009, 08:48:19 pm
That would be Yabba. On Abbeydale Road. Heading towards town from our house, a bit before all the restaurants, on the left hand side. Red sign with yellow writing.

dave

#397 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 06, 2009, 09:09:33 pm
word, if there's anywhere in town centre though it'd provide a welcome lunchtime distraction.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#398 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
August 07, 2009, 07:30:47 am
They occasionally have a stall when there are markets in town, but that tends to be on weekends.

You could let your let your fingers to the walking.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#399 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 23, 2009, 01:00:03 pm
How to keep the Mrs Happy when you went bouldering rather than doing what you should have been doing.

http://www.holdsworthchocolates.co.uk Factory shop on site 9 - 5 monday to friday.

Now does anyone know where I can get good sweet smoked paprika and bortaga at reasonable prices?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal