UKBouldering.com

IOM TT strikes down another great (Read 5207 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
IOM TT strikes down another great
May 30, 2003, 06:12:38 pm
David Jeffries, nine times winner, has been killed in practice.

160mph crash after hitting oil, straight into a lamp-post.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Jim Moodie was also injured hitting debris from the crash, but will be ok.

nik at work

• forum hero
#1 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:02:07 am
Thats gotta be unpretty :(  :(

You going to go over to watch the races?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:06:45 am
It says a lot about the unforgiving nature of the place when someone like him, who must have known the course like his bell-end comes a cropper like this. It also begs the question - if there was oil on the road, why was there no oil flags out  :twisted:

Nah - never been over myself - I love bikes but don't like all that biker scene thing really. Mad Sunday just looks like suicide too. I do love to watch the onboard videos from the IOM though - If you've never seen anyone hitting 170mph on narrow A roads, it is something to behold.

Ironically, just getting my bike back on the road this week....

nik at work

• forum hero
#3 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:19:49 am
I on the other hand am not especially interested in bikes but as the gf is from IOM I go over and ask stupid question that highlight me as a complete biking know-nothing.
You're right though it is just a bunch of hairy arsed bikers and there leather clad ladies with a propensity for breast flashing drinking endless quatities of beer. All good natured fun - but not my scene...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:24:30 am
What does your g/f think of the races? I guess it's a good form of income for many of the locals but it can't be nice having your home overrun and people killing themselves at the bottom of your drive, etc.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:56:39 am
She thinks much the same as me - pretty good laugh. Her brother is mad about bikes so thinks it is ace. Her dad plays in a band and they get loads of gigs and make a fortune so he thinks it's brilliant (ah and he gets the week off work too). Her mum probably doesn't like it because it's dangerous and too noisy - but she probably thinks crochet races are dangerous and too noisy...

Most people seem to think its good - I guess if you can compress all your tourism into one week of the year and have peace and quiet for the remaining 51 it seems like a pretty good trade off. Also the visitors rarely cause any trouble at all (unlike the local scallies who go out of their way to be obnoxious - which can be quite amusing, watching a seven stone runt of a scally try to start a fight with half a dozen 16 stone german bikers)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 03:04:04 pm
Whoop de woo!!! I've just got my bike insured...so next weekend, watch out for a black/red GSXR-750 annoying punters on Stanage with my loud loud loud race pipe  :P

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 02, 2003, 10:20:55 pm
Went out on the beast late tonight - bleedin' hell, I hardly got beyond half throttle - I'd forgotten just how fast the thing builds speed....a bit of a sensory overload being used to my slow impreza sport. Had a race with a Celica GT4 but he was a pussy and wouldn't go above 105mph so was easy peasy...

nik at work

• forum hero
#8 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 03, 2003, 08:17:50 am
Thats what I like about this site, the constant promoting of fun activities coupled with a sensible approach... :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 03, 2003, 08:24:27 am
Precisely  :D

None of this moralising on the dangers of speed here - believe me, I know speed can kill but at 9.30pm in an empty Peak I don't see a problem with it.

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 03, 2003, 08:41:41 am
Hell I'm not going to chastise you. There is a level of hypocriticism that is beyond even me...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 03, 2003, 08:46:43 am
If you're visiting your g/f's folks on the IOM, you should hire a Ferrari or something and take advantage of their open ended speed limit outside of towns - now that'd be a laff - about £300 p/day last time I checked.

mmmmm....ok, so that's potentially a week's holiday.....not such a bargain after all...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#12 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 03, 2003, 08:09:08 pm
RIP DJ

Bubba's got the gixer out  :lol:

Those were the days, remember that TVR Cerbera   :twisted:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 04, 2003, 08:48:38 am
Just couldn't bring myself to sell it, then started dreaming about riding again so thought I'd drag the poor old thing out of retirement - you getting another one sometime NortonS?

Yeah, I remember that TVR - probably the only road car I've ever been truly gobsmacked by - that thing was fast.....but not fast enough  :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 IOM TT strikes down another great
June 04, 2003, 09:08:30 am
Lots of bike vid snippets here

I just checked out "ginacrash" - now that had to hurt!

And some more here

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal