UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 409873 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#900 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 26, 2014, 09:26:34 am
Well gumtree one says 8000 miles, which must be wrong, even the 90K on the ebay one seems low. Great looking conversion though.

Something odd with the ebay pics though; pics 10 and 11 both appear to be of the tailgate, but one shows a "garage" with a bike in it, and the other shows nothing??

From few accounts I've heard , fairly reliable, but slow and quite thirsty. I think good if you didn't intend doing lots of mileage, but tended more to spend a long time in one spot. IMO they are aren't the best looking vans, but that's just a personal thing.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#901 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 26, 2014, 05:17:48 pm
I think a T5 might be touch too small and almost certainly too expensive as we'd want a pop top. Going straight to a fully converted van probably means some compromise on price and quality/style of finish, but it's going to be so much easier.

This isn't going to be used for many major trips. Maybe 2 euro trips and 10's of UK trips per year. I guess you're right about the compromise of wanting some big enough to be static in and small enough to be easily mobile in.

Thanks for the info!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#902 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 26, 2014, 06:48:14 pm
LWB T5 Keith? Can get these a bit cheaper than a SWB as they aren't as sought after. Would buy you a bit more length. <ahem>

tomtom

• forum hero

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#904 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 28, 2014, 03:16:26 pm
I'm not against a LWB T5 Pop top. I just don't think I could afford one! What I'm really keen to find is something that can sleep 2 people as well as store 2 bikes. I know this is just about possible in a regular T4 (bike upside down with wheel off) but it's not really ideal.

I'm going to take a look at the VW Crafter. Anything I should be looking out for? The guy converted it himself (he's a chippy). It currently doesn't have a fridge and I don't think it has an inverter so the 240v sockets don't work. How much would that stuff cost to add?

Advice very welcomed!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#905 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 28, 2014, 05:45:34 pm

I'm going to take a look at the VW Crafter. Anything I should be looking out for? The guy converted it himself (he's a chippy). It currently doesn't have a fridge and I don't think it has an inverter so the 240v sockets don't work. How much would that stuff cost to add?

Advice very welcomed!

Fridge for waco cr50 or such like, about £450.
As for the 240v stuff, if it already has other electrics done, you could add 240v yourself for no more than £150, you are pretty handy with that sort of stuff....

tomtom

• forum hero
#906 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 28, 2014, 09:00:27 pm
I've a mini office fridge thing I pulled from a skip at work. 240 volt but yours if you want.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#907 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 29, 2014, 09:18:36 am
Anything I should be looking out for?

Check what it's registered as. Unless it's been re-registered as a "motor caravan" (I think), you are limited to 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways. This may have changed though.

richieb

• menacing presence
#908 Re: Camper Van knowledge
November 03, 2014, 07:02:06 am
Bit of a long shot but anyone got any knowledge on fitting roof rails to a T5? Specifically mitigating the risk of water leaking through the fittings?

I've already got thule bars and the fittings that attach bars to rails, so rather than get the footpack to fit the bars to the van I thought I may as well get some aftermarket rails (VW themselves don't make roof rails for transporters, only bars).

However, there is lots of talk on transporter forums about water leaking through the holes in the roof once you have removed the blanking bolts and replaced with roof rail fittings and various ideas to prevent this; tap washers, silicone sealant etc

Just wondered if anyone had any experience. Ta.

By the way Chris, as far as I know the lower speed limits for a van classed as commercial still apply. 50 in national speed limit single carriageway (not ideal on the A9!), 60 on dual carriageway and the full 70 on motorways.

csl

• junky
#909 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 03, 2015, 12:04:36 pm
Can anyone tell me if i shouldn't buy this van?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/mercedes-vito-108-cdi-campervan/1093963444

It seems like such a minefield and i'm struggling to make sense of what to go for!

I've got about 2k to spend ideally. Just looking for something to park next to sport crags for a month at a time or so. Not too bothered if it doesn't last forever, as i'd be spending the same in refugio's and campsites.

tomtom

• forum hero
#910 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 03, 2015, 01:58:17 pm
Can anyone tell me if i shouldn't buy this van?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/mercedes-vito-108-cdi-campervan/1093963444

It seems like such a minefield and i'm struggling to make sense of what to go for!

I've got about 2k to spend ideally. Just looking for something to park next to sport crags for a month at a time or so. Not too bothered if it doesn't last forever, as i'd be spending the same in refugio's and campsites.

I'd find a 1.8m bed too short.. but I am taller than the average hobbit ;)

csl

• junky
#911 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 09:44:10 am
Good point! I should fit, but if not might have to sleep diagonally for comfort!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#912 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 09:22:18 pm
Ad removed?? Did you get it?

csl

• junky
#913 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 09:34:46 pm
Nope, they never returned my call. Lets hope i dodged a bullet?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#914 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 09:51:38 pm
I never saw ad, but if it was too good to be true there was probably a mistake!

csl

• junky
#915 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 10:08:30 pm
It was a Mercedes Vito with about 140,000 on the clock for £1650. Converted and re-reg'd as a camper.

I'm just finding it a little hard to get my head around whats shit and whats not. All i know is i can't afford a Transporter, i'm sort of leaning towards just getting a Transit and keeping my fingers crossed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#916 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 10:11:12 pm
Mate has got a Toyota Hi Ace and swears by it.

It's a minefield for sure. More so than car buying.

Duma

• forum hero
#917 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 04, 2015, 10:44:21 pm
it looked a grand too cheap to me, assuming it was was what it appeared.

I'd get a transit or similar. vivaro's are meant to be good, and don't carry any brand premium?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#918 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 05, 2015, 10:44:42 am
Vivaro's are decent. Driven them with work loads and they're pretty economical, drive ok and don't seem to break down any more than our T4...

Probably the best value "newer" design van around.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#919 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 05, 2015, 04:57:49 pm
Vivaro's are decent. Driven them with work loads and they're pretty economical, drive ok and don't seem to break down any more than our T4...

Not sure what year vans you drive but we have four 2013's and are the most horrific thing i have ever had the displeasure to drive. Horrendous van.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#920 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 07, 2015, 11:03:33 am

Not sure what year vans you drive but we have four 2013's and are the most horrific thing i have ever had the displeasure to drive. Horrendous van.

Actually, they were mainly Renault Traffics. Just from Cham to the airport and back. I also didn't ever deal with repairs and servicing.  They are more efficient, corner and brake better than the T4. 

kelvin

• forum hero
#921 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 11, 2015, 09:19:09 pm
So picking up my new van on Saturday - the Berlingo was never going to work for 6 months in Spain but it had been to the Alps twice, made it as far as Italy and we managed 9 years and 111,000 miles together.

One Fiat Ducato purchased, a SWB to help with parking were I live, terraced areas are a nightmare in the evenings. Wanted one mainly due to the fact that they're 6ft 1in across in the back, enabling a bed to be widthways - lots more options that way even with only 8ft 8in in length.

Duma

• forum hero
#922 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 12, 2015, 10:59:14 am
they're 6ft 1in across in the back, enabling a bed to be widthways - lots more options that way even with only 8ft 8in in length.

:2thumbsup:

this makes a massive difference and I loved my relay mainly for this reason

rootask

• regular
#923 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 12, 2015, 11:34:48 am
Mate has got a Toyota Hi Ace and swears by it.

It's a minefield for sure. More so than car buying.

I also have a Hiace and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Mechanically they're totally solid, the only draw backs on the older ones (prior to 03 I think) is that they're rear wheel drive and will get stuck in the mud very easily.

I'd recommend a LWB if you're going to be in it for any length of time, but that applies to any make/model.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#924 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 12, 2015, 05:56:56 pm
Hi folks,
Trawelled through a lot of this thread but i'm a complete van newb so looking for fresh suggestions. We're wanting to get a van that'll take us two plus a baby (safety obviously key for strapping baby in when travelling!) plus a mat or two and .. a couple of kayaks. So roof rack would be good but that is not so compatible with baby bed when he gets a little older (and no 2 comes along). A trailer might be the best option but i'm not hugely enthusiastic about that, might be a bit of a pain in the arse.

Any thoughts? T5/T4/bongo still the best option? Anyone have any similar campervan loadout?
cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal