UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 408508 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#76 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 04:44:32 pm
Cheers NCB.
Anyone any thoughts on this one? - http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARAVANS_popup.asp?searchform=&lid=search_used_caravans_full&photo=1&state=%27%27&sort=&make=Ford&min_pr=75&source=0&model=&max_pr=14000&agerange=3&miles=1500&mileage=&postcode=s7+1he&ukcarsearch_full.x=73&ukcarsearch_full.y=9&start=4&distance=178&adcategory=CARA&channel=CARAVANS&id=200706103778733
Blimey charley, just don't ask what Emma & Andy B paid for their transit conversion, it'll make you sick,  :o, I'd be seriously considering a standard van, and a very big can opener. Had a friend a while back did a very nice conversion in pine tongue'n'groove, nice and warm but I did look rather like a sauna, which was ok cos I think thats the look he wanted. ;)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#77 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 04:49:07 pm
 The thing is I intend to sell on when we get back from travels. It doesn't really matter too much how expensive it is (within reason) so long as it holds it's value.

Paul B

• forum hero
#78 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 06:12:06 pm
Anyone any thoughts on this one...

Do you know what the leisuredrive conversion comprises of? IMO its important to know what you want and need out of a van, lots of conversions jam a shower/toilet/wet room into what is essentially a small vehicle. If your spending a lot of time on campsites thats just wasted space however if you intend to cut costs and camp by the side of the road it might be a god send.
I'd be a bit dubious of the agreed valuations, my insurance company offers an "agreed valuation" where you send as much info as you can to them and an estimate of the value and they either agree or disagree however there is a clause that says in the case of an accident we can "review" the valuation. Therefore an agreed valuation of 16k could be very dependant on what he has or hasnt told his insurance company. If it's worth 16k i'd also be interested to know why he is selling for what is considerably less? if it's a genuine reason then fair enough. If not i'd steer clear.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#79 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 07:40:48 am
IMO its important to know what you want and need out of a van, lots of conversions jam a shower/toilet/wet room into what is essentially a small vehicle. If your spending a lot of time on campsites thats just wasted space however if you intend to cut costs and camp by the side of the road it might be a god send.

It's a good point. If you and your lass are happy making use of "ad hoc" toilet facilities, the space may be more useful. Camper Van loos are rarely pleasant affairs, unpleasant to maintain, and not often a necessity.

Likewise if you are travelling during milder weather, the Solar Bag Showers can be used to provide the occasional outdoor scrubdown, and are probably more reliable than the trickledown affairs you find in vans.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#80 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 08:23:55 am
i think jonboy's point of wanting good re-sale value means a home conversion may not be such a good idea. it's going to seriously reduce the potential resale price, i would have thought. any ideas?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#81 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 10:19:35 am
I would have thought it depends how good a job you do.  Would a decent conversion not add value to the van?

What about stealing one off a drive, leaving a note 'IOU one camper van', and then dropping it off again in six months time.  Maybe with a case of French plonk for their trouble.

lowlife

• regular
#82 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 11:12:03 am
A right interesting thread.
I haven't seen mention of the fierce little Mazda Bongo.
These are available for sensible money. A friend sold his lovely, but uncomfortable split screen VW and bought his converted Bongo with the proceeds. Around the £6K mark IIRC.
The thing that sold it to me was travelling home from N Wales at 80mph without any sense of pushing it too hard or beyond handling limits. Worth checking out.

Incidentaly, Bongo owners have their own 'Bongo Wave'. It involves plastering a surprised look on your face and pointing in shock at the other Bongo  :-[

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#83 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 12:54:59 pm
 Had wondered about Bongos. Have seen a few nice looking examples advertised at suspiciously low prices. I presumed there must be something dodgy about them (other than the name). Will take a closer look next time!

nickreyner

• regular
#84 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 01:52:15 pm
I have been looking at these Mazda bongo's ( also ford freda, same thing) myself. They look ok. The low prices are unconverted but there seems to be plenty of companys who sell professional conversion. Just do a search in google. there also is the Toyota Granvia  3.0 litre turbo bit bigger , more expensive. I would be interested to see if they both hold there value. We are looking for something to use a weekends etc. Instead of driving miles everyday. not sure if these would be good for months at a time maybe there are ok.

Paul B

• forum hero
#85 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 22, 2007, 03:30:18 pm
I'd be concrened about the inner space of a bong, just take a look at the weekender style ones without the cooker, they don't look big.
Another point to mention (it may have been mentioned earlier) is that the style of conversion home/professional will have a serious effect on the cost of insurance... obviously this depends on how honest you are to the insurance company.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#86 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 09:18:43 am
Do you have any ideas on which additions/amendments raise the insurance?

Paul B

• forum hero
#87 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 10:18:12 am
I believe anything that isn't professionaly fitted, (so home conversions) are more expensive (difficult?) to insure compared with pro conversions.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#88 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 10:52:06 am
Have been looking into this myself.
My opinions on Bongos is that you get a lot of van for your money unconverted, the electric lifting roof for example. Lots of extras and usually good milage for round 6k. However they are a jap import and although spares are common in this country i rekon you would have a devil of a job on the continent. Also most are 5-8 years old already so your not getting anything new. A recognised conversion would cost you twixt 4-7k depending on what you have done. You can pick bongos already done at 11k prices. see here http://www.bongofury.co.uk/
I rekon if you want more of an investment somting like a t5 conversion would hold its value amazingly, bigger outlay(seen em for 18k with decent milage). get one unconverted from a dealer and get it done professionally and could save a little bit.
I saw one bongo with a porta potty in the back,,,,,,can you imagine lying in bed whilst your partner squeezes one out 2 ft away

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#89 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 11:42:25 am
.....can you imagine lying in bed whilst your partner squeezes one out 2 ft away

Have you been accidentally visiting japanese pr0n sites as well as looking for spares for your Bongo  :-\

lowlife

• regular
#90 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 02:03:26 pm
I think I'd be right saying that the standard unconverted Bongo Friendee is set up so that all the seats can be laid flat into a bed. You'd just need the velcro curtains to make it a basic home.
The electric roof space is brilliant. There is a hatch up into it. Superb until you get up for a slash and your wife rolls fully over the hatch in her sleep.  :wank:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#91 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 23, 2007, 02:07:17 pm
Have you been accidentally visiting japanese pr0n sites as well as looking for spares for your Bongo

Reminds me, best finger-graffiti-on-dirty-white-van I've seen for a long time in the site car park the other day.
Big letters across back doors - TEAM BUKKAKE

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#92 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 02, 2007, 01:43:33 pm
Looking through Auto Trader and have a query. Many of the listings state the price then say 'no VAT'. Does anyone know if this means the the seller will not be adding VAT to the price stated or that the listed price does not include the VAT i.e add 17.3% to listed price???

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#93 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 10:46:12 am
Tis done. For better or worse i'm going for the home conversion option. Last night I committed to getting a 2001, Long Wheel Based, High Top, Transit.
 Will be getting my hands on the beast before the weekend and then for the fun/hard/scary bit. Have started frantically researching on here http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/ and have just ordered Build Your Own Motorcaravan - John Wickersham.
 Any tips on good sources of cheap good quality stuff for the conversion will be much appreciated.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#94 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 10:49:32 am
Generally your local timber boys are the best for the basic structure- get to know them!!  Sod B&Q etc.  I'd get a transit too but I haven't got anywhere to keep it.
Good luck with the BonJoy Lurve Barge!!!   :shag:

north_country_boy

• junky
#95 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 11:25:35 am
Wise choice Bonjoy! Good luck with the conversion! Should have myself one in a couple of months!  ;D

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#96 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 11:44:10 am
It's all the rage. Mr Keenus is in the planning stages of one too.

Turboman

• addict
#97 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 12:48:56 pm
This is the kind of thing you should be aiming for.  ;)

Should be right up your street Bonjoy.

http://www.verdier.ca/

Paul B

• forum hero
#98 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 06, 2007, 12:53:01 pm
Jon, you should get in touch with Tommy Chammings, he did a really good job of converting a transit high top a little over a year ago while he was working for lush. Had some nifty layout ideas and did a damn good job of insulating it.

curly ben

• addict
#99 Re: Camper Van knowledge
April 16, 2007, 05:27:51 pm
Im in the plannng stages as well- thinkin of plumpin for ford transit as well. This thread has been ace for info- much appreciated. Bonjoy keep postin how things are developing.
cheers ben

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal