UKBouldering.com

General anasthaetic (Read 2676 times)

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
General anasthaetic
September 21, 2006, 07:54:51 pm
Had a 'minor procedure' under general on Tuesday night. I'm not in pain, but still feeling really tired.

Its 48 hours ago now, was let out of hospital yesterday after lunch. As I find it really difficult to properly 'rest' when injured, like many climbers I often just get on with it and ignore when things hurt, I'm really struggling with the idea of what constitutes 'light' exercise.

Any thoughts on how much I can do? The idea of even walking the dog seems a bit much, as we're usually out for up to an hour. On the other hand, I'm really bored of sitting on the couch watching shit on TV, and I've read just about every book in the house!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: General anasthaetic
September 21, 2006, 08:45:21 pm
Hey Lucy.

I've had 3 general's (anasthaetics that is) and I'd say get your rest in!!

I know how difficult it is to not do anything, but wait til you feel up to it, you don't wanna do too much and prolong the none climbing. To be fair the 3 I've had we're for fairly serious stuff. No.1 repair my broken body following car accident. No.2 remove the entire windsrceen of the car from my eyes after said crash. No.3 Remove titanium rods inserted in operation 1!!!! I really had no choice and had to wait until I felt ready.

Give it a few days til your sorted and you'll be bcak soon enough, just don't rush things!!

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#2 Re: General anasthaetic
September 21, 2006, 09:36:23 pm
light exercise involves approx 15 to 20 mins of activity like brisk walking. at a pace where you can still talk without catching your breath. obviously if the light exercise doesn't involve the treated area inquestion.
rest is the best cure, avoid alcohol at all costs.

if you have an incision. keep the wound clean and dry, open to air.
once the skin has healed apply vitamin e cream to the scar, it helps minimise scarring.
don't watch, read any thing about climbing, makes recovery even worse... :wall:

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#3 Re: General anasthaetic
September 21, 2006, 10:39:33 pm
Cheers guys.

At least its not quite cold enough for grit yet  ::)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: General anasthaetic
September 22, 2006, 08:07:18 am
If you aren't a member, join the local library. I was amazed at how much they have improved in the last 20 years  :-[ since I set foot inside one. The DVD collection at the one in Aberdeen is great.

Rest and Recover, you know it makes sense. Learn Photoshop, or video editing or something useful.

Dr T

• forum hero
#5 Re: General anasthaetic
September 22, 2006, 04:36:36 pm
yeah rest is the key, be thankful you'll be back climbing b4 I will, 5 moths and counting since they knocked me out to cut me open....
just try to chill and watch hard grit again.. and again.. and again    :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: General anasthaetic
September 22, 2006, 04:42:36 pm
info on scars etc.. is all bang on.

you are tired cos REM sleep only returns after 3 nights after a GA, and the body recognises surgery as a trauma (abeit in controlled conditions).

you are perfectly normal!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#7 Re: General anasthaetic
October 10, 2006, 10:21:01 pm
Second that, after my last GA my pain was not under control and even afeter oral morpheine they wanted to admit me (there was no expresso or chef so I refused) and it took me about 3 days and 4 bots of claret to be back to normal.

In my (unfortunately repeated experience) it takes about 5 days to get right i.e. having a decent shit and to sleep properly following GA although I can confirm after two days you can lead VS when straped up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal