UKBouldering.com

Video in Html (Read 1500 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Video in Html
September 19, 2006, 05:11:56 pm
I'm hoping that some suitable wadded techno type can help me with this......

I need to display a video box in HTML of various climbing exercises.  The idea is to have a menu to a page that takes you to a template which describes the exercise/benifits etc etc and then has a video of said exercise next to the text.

How would one go about making that sort of template?

Cheers in advance

D

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Re: Video in Html
September 19, 2006, 09:43:02 pm
well mate, you cant just play video over html, but you can embed a video in an html page...

(hopefully I havent got the wrong end of the stick!)

HTML is a markup language, thats defined by tags. You are limited to what you can do with it by what tags there are, this includes the embed tag so you can use other sorts of media in an html page, but whatever you embed needs to be understood by the computer that will read it. What this means is that if you use windows media then your mac and linux users are stuffed, so perhaps shockwave flash is the answer? maybe quicktime - thats a popular codec?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Video in Html
September 19, 2006, 10:29:55 pm

Probably easiest using Flash - nearly every browser has the Flash player and you can import quicktime video directly into Flash, then output an .swf file that you can embed in your web page.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: Video in Html
September 20, 2006, 09:38:16 am
and, thats what the nice people at youtube do. Ergo, it must be good.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Re: Video in Html
September 20, 2006, 10:29:57 am
Thanks very much guys  :)

The YouTube stuff would be right on the money.  All this stuff is going to be put on a CD rather that the web, but the principle is the same thing.

Looks like I will need to find someone to do this in flash for me as I don't have time to learn..............

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal