UKBouldering.com

North york moors bouldering (Read 3687 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
North york moors bouldering
September 17, 2006, 11:25:46 am
Off to the caravan in bridlington next week and gonna have a day trip to somewhere near by for some bouldering. I've done a bit of looking about and it looks like scugdale is my best bet. Anyone have any suggestions for a better venue or what the classic problems are at scugdale. Thanks jim

dave

#1 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 17, 2006, 11:48:48 am
scugdale is by far your best bet. go with a burbage north mindset of doing some highball/soloing aswell. excellent crag. fukkingmiles to drive from brid though, its at the opposite side of the moors. it'll probably take a #s long to get to scugdale as it would to get to caley from brid.

theres also the wainstones up there some OK bouldering and one good steep prow thing but i'd take scugdale over that any day.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#2 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 17, 2006, 12:27:02 pm
Cheers dave, think i've been to wainstones before. Seem to remember a long walk in. Not too bothered about long drive with new car and all and keen to get to some new venues. Caley can wait till the winter. Burbage north type venue would be ideal as well

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 17, 2006, 10:48:18 pm
If my memory serves me correctly, the Owen has holidayed up there for the last few years. Will quiz him and get back to you mate...

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 18, 2006, 08:01:50 am
bridestones in dalby forrest is probably the nearest to bridlington.its a bit sandy and friable and quite high in places.the pepper pot is worth a look and there are a couple of good traverses on the higher ones.its worth an afternoon.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 22, 2006, 04:33:43 pm
Hope I am not too late..

At Scugdale the better problems are Fairy Tale Low, Super Skunk, Humbug, The Shelf, New Dimensions and a new one (perhaps) Napoleon Dynamite - there is a description of it on yorkshire grit.

Rich

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: North york moors bouldering
September 25, 2006, 11:54:23 am
Scuggy is sweet. Burbizzle North attitude as Dave says. Real nice rock. There's some new harder stuff there, check Yorkshire Grit for info. Barker's Crags has some harder highballs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal