UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 163186 times)

Duma

• forum hero
#325 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 18, 2008, 07:04:26 pm
Though a different version of riversong is the first track on POB? Hard to tell as it obviously sounds somewhat different when played through my hifi rather than via the 'speakers' on this laptop, but I think I like the album one better.

Still nice though, ta

andy popp

• forum hero
#326 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 19, 2008, 07:02:34 am
Neglected only in the sense that they've taken forty years to get released but just got the first two releases in the Neil Young archive performance series the other day; Live at Canterbury House, 1968 - intimate solo acoustic set - and with Crazy Horse Live at Fillmore East 1970 - down and dirty. Highly recommended for fans of the whiney, scratchy one.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#327 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 19, 2008, 08:52:28 am
Though a different version of riversong is the first track on POB?

you're right, for some reason mine is labelled as being off the unreleased bamboo.

andy popp

• forum hero
#328 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 23, 2008, 11:24:16 am
Posted this almost exactly a year ago. Now I don't like to crow [much] but this has just won reissue of the year in just about every single music mag. Check it out if you haven't already...

On a further reissue tip, am currently much enjoying Robert Wyatt's lovely, eccentric Rock Bottom

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#329 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 21, 2009, 10:47:19 am
On the back of a chemistry tip in another thread....Tom Lehrer  :bow:

The equally brilliant "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"

Well worth seeking out his albums, they're genius.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#330 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 11, 2009, 01:21:23 pm

The last LP Peel ever played in its entirety on his R1 show, 1993. Incredible stuff. Click on image. This is a re-issue w/ additional tracks.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#331 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 14, 2009, 10:00:14 am
Just came across this.  Class.

andy popp

• forum hero
#332 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 21, 2009, 09:21:55 pm
alice coltrane - 'a monastic trio'
accept it might be a bit jazz-club, but if anyone likes a bit of chin-stroking check this out, think its her first main album - have always been into her old fella, but only recently heard this stuff
(also 'journey in satchidananda' is awesome although think this is the better known masterpiece?)

Just got Journey in .... Beautiful, beautiful music. I'm in love. Also new to me the single track Pharaoh Sanders album Black Unity. More tripping space jazz, fantastic grooves. Not quite so sure about Trio of Doom, probably more fusion fretboard wankery than anyone really needs.

Picked up references to an interesting sounding book, Boris Vian, Foam of the Daze; anyone read this?

Cheers for the downloads Paul.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#333 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 07, 2009, 02:20:56 pm
Just been listening to Skylarking by XTC this afternoon. What a beautiful album from a great band.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#334 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 07, 2009, 09:31:58 pm
^^ nice LP but not a patch on The Black Sea, I think.

Good that people still listen to XTC though, the first 5 or 6 LP's were incredible.

andy popp

• forum hero
#335 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 12, 2009, 08:24:13 pm
Just finished a great book I'd not heard of till recently, Boris Vian's Foam of the Daze (L'Ecume des Jours in the original, pub 1947). A tender, funny and ultimately heartbreaking love story set in bizarre and increasingly dark dystopia that is both recognizably France and not France at all. Sci-fi, surrealism? Who knows, but brilliant.

saintlade

• player
#336 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 14, 2009, 12:59:50 am
Boris Vian's I Spit On Your Graves is worth a read. It's pretty fucked up, lot's of sex and violence; a fast paced and easy to read pastiche on the American noir, tackling racial prejudice; how well it achieves this is another matter.

Made famous for all the controversy surrounding it. Boris claimed to have translated the work into French from a Black American writer whose book had been banned in the States; whereas Boris had spunked the whole thing out himself in as little as 2 weeks. Was pretty extreme stuff for the 50's, got branded filth, and subsequently became very popular. Was linked to a copycat murder, further increasing sales until eventually being banned. His book was loosely adapted for the big screen against his wishes and whilst attending the premiere he suffered a fatal heart attack and as is the usual procedure with fatal heart attacks he died.

Wouldn't class it as a masterpiece but certainly worth a read. Intended but never got round to reading Froth on the Daydream but it has just made my ticklist once again.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#337 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 24, 2009, 01:01:00 am
Boris Vian's I Spit On Your Graves is worth a read. redpoint:
'J'irai cracher sur vos tombes'

And the previous:'foam of your days'?

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
i fear that due to lack of publicity mr anthony d'offay's collection may not get the attention it deserves

i recommend the warhols at wolverhampton and walsall galleries

more details here

anyway, gives me an excuse to tour this island over the coming months

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#339 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 18, 2009, 12:14:16 pm
Have been listening to Martin Simpson's album Prodigal Son recently and am now looking for my next foray into his music. A taster here:

If you can find his version of Lakes of Champlain then he lays down some bo' folk too.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#340 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 22, 2009, 08:56:02 pm
I listened to Pulse Programming's Blooms Eventually of their 2003 album Tulsa for One Second this afternoon and thought it was worth sharing. You can hear it on the MySpace page... a lovely delicate bit of pop electronica.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

andy popp

• forum hero
#342 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 25, 2011, 08:37:46 pm
Josh T. Pearson's fantastic new album Last of the Country Gentlemen (fantastic if you fancy some totally heartbroken country) has led me to Lift to Experience's incredible The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads - 90 minutes of epic post rock drenched in apocalyptic religious imagery.

Anyone else heard this?

Fuck, revisiting this thread has made me miss Houdini. He was stellar.

andy popp

• forum hero
#343 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 25, 2011, 08:40:00 pm
Forgot, here's the album cover ...

rp

#344 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 25, 2011, 09:38:48 pm
pete tosh
legalize it

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#345 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 25, 2011, 11:02:58 pm
Josh T. Pearson's fantastic new album Last of the Country Gentlemen (fantastic if you fancy some totally heartbroken country) has led me to Lift to Experience's incredible The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads - 90 minutes of epic post rock drenched in apocalyptic religious imagery.

Anyone else heard this?

Fuck, revisiting this thread has made me miss Houdini. He was stellar.

M. Popp - you hit the pay dirt again. Had this album for years and it is amazing in it's breadth of sound and sheer scope for a three piece band. It is supposed to be a retelling of the bible IIRC though I never bothered to listen that carefully to see if that was true - I just enjoyed it as one of the best post rock records out there.

I had the sheer joy to see them at Leeds Festival many years ago at some ridiculously early time in the afternoon - 13.30 or something like that with about 20 other people - it was almost criminal but equally brilliant as it felt so exclusive. One of the two standout gigs of the festival along with Mogwai IMO.

There was also the fantastic scenario where Josh Pearson had sacked one of the other members in the band by sending him one of his cowboy boots and a letter stating that he was sacked through the post (lit. Giving him the boot). This led to the boot being auctioned on Ebay along with the letter (there were possibly threats of legal action as well but I may have imagined that last bit).

Guessing it must be the same Josh Pearson who has been played on R6 lately - keep catching the name and thinking it sounds familiar but haven't had the time to concentrate on what has been playing at the time. Will try to listen a bit more closely.

Also I miss Houdini - had some very mad chat sessions with him in the early hours of the morning at times but that said he was a very good recommender of music. Reminded me in some ways of John Peel - 99% of the time you could see why he liked what he recommended even if you thought it was rubbish.

andy popp

• forum hero
#346 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 27, 2011, 03:39:31 pm
It is an incredible album that will, I think, go on revealing its depths. Thanks for the stories, though I'm jealous you got to see them.

I think it must be the same Josh Pearson you've been hearing on R6, the album is just out. This is pretty representative, its a great album if you fancy some very parched mournful country:

He's playing End of the Road in Sept - along with Mogwai and much much more.

andy popp

• forum hero
#347 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 25, 2011, 07:20:11 pm
Neglect? Probably not. Masterpiece? Certainly. In any case, this is to my current taste

Here's the text:

Wir sind durch Not und Freude
gegangen Hand in Hand;
vom Wandern ruhen wir
nun überm stillen Land.

Rings sich die Täler neigen,
es dunkelt schon die Luft.
Zwei Lerchen nur noch steigen
nachträumend in den Duft.

Tritt her und laß sie schwirren,
bald ist es Schlafenszeit.
Daß wir uns nicht verirren
in dieser Einsamkeit.

O weiter, stiller Friede!
So tief im Abendrot.
Wie sind wir wandermüde--
Ist dies etwa der Tod?

We have gone through sorrow and joy
hand in hand;
Now we can rest from our wandering
above the quiet land.

Around us, the valleys bow;
the air is growing darker.
Just two skylarks soar upwards
dreamily into the fragrant air.

Come close to me, and let them flutter.
Soon it will be time for sleep.
Let us not lose our way
in this solitude.

O vast, tranquil peace,
so deep at sunset!
How weary we are of wandering---
Is this perhaps death?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#348 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 01, 2011, 11:27:29 am
Having listened to almost nothing but Techno for the winter, a return to something more reflective, my favourite piece of piano music:

Duma

• forum hero
#349 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 10, 2012, 02:04:41 am
Thanks Cass:

"I tried so hard,
not to be the cryin' kind,
not to be the girl,
you left behind"
I am drunk, so apologies if this is not up to scratch, but this thread should not die.

And on a more refined note, this is AMAZING:

Come back Houdini, we are a poor reflection of our former selves without you!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:12:21 am by Duma »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal