UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 163221 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#300 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 03, 2008, 03:43:17 pm
Glad you bought it Freedom Bondage (though the CD mastering is pants and it sounds way better on LP) Yes, did plug before but never had a satisfactory mp3 to whet appetites w/.

Here is their snappily titled LP previous to Freedom Bondage, ZENI GEVA ~ Desire For Agony

Less cohesive than Freedom Bondage but w/ a few absolute classic ZG tunes.

Their last release (Neurot Recordings, CD only) 10,000 Light Years is stellar.

I'll check out the Schmidt.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#301 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 03, 2008, 11:12:30 pm
An aquaintance has sorted me out w/ the SCOTT WALKER ~ Climate of Hunter LP .wav

Top notch sound quality.  Taken me ages as a non-p2p user to nab this.  One to keep.  You should pounce on this and revel in his voice.

HERE

Sendspace links live for 30 days after the last DL.  No more.

andy popp

• forum hero
#302 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 04, 2008, 07:28:13 am
Why, with these downloads you are spoiling us. Already have the first Zeni Geva LP installed on the ipod. No my normal cup of tea but promising so far. Have you come across Japanese hardcore/post rock band Envy? Sound promising.

Have a terrible feeling I'm going to get expelled for this but having read an interview with Daevid Allen yesterday just had to go in search of some Gong This clip isn't great but has that tang of authenticity. They whip up quite a nice groove too.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#303 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 04, 2008, 07:42:07 am
You can't get expelled from your own thread Andy! 

Zeni Geva are so rewarding when one gets the swede around the fact that it's tough angular music.  The time patterns are amazing as is the fact that this band have been at the forefront of the Japanese underground for over 20 years and have - not once - ever compromised on either their sound or roots.   Shi No Umi (the track on Freedom Bondage that starts w/ organs and acoustic guitars) is a song I never tire of.  They've recently changed drummers (easily the hardest instrument in the rock format to master) and have not suffered at all.  That's a phenomenal achievement as bad drummers are legion.

I'll try and find 10,000 Light Years if I can't find that I'll post a live CD of theirs which has the same tracklist as 10,000 ...

Envy?  I'll check them out.  My tendrills in the blogosphere run deep.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#304 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 14, 2008, 08:28:06 pm
I'm rediscovering just how f*cking good The Misfits and Glenn Danzig were.  I've had a vinyl copy of Earth AD for about 20 years and always been fond of it but I found out it's really thrashy and shouty in comparison with their earlier singles and LP's. Static Age, Walk Among Us and The Singles Collecations are just fantastic.. Danzig sings like Elvis over a better version of The Damned, The Cramps and the bastard offspring of Eddie Cochran and Black Flag.

:bow:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#305 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 06, 2008, 11:11:05 am
BIG' N ~ Discipline Through Sound   (Skingraft Records 1996)

BIG' N bring it on ~ for the short time they lived they mined new territory in rock.  Enjoy.

andy popp

• forum hero
#306 Re: Neglected masterpieces
October 05, 2008, 08:56:51 pm
Quite liked the Big'N. Anyway, was reading the other day about a 70s/80s band called Chrome Does anyone know them (Houdini, anyone?). Any good?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#307 Re: Neglected masterpieces
October 05, 2008, 09:24:14 pm
Andy. I have just bobbed 'chrome' into the Mix-turtle website  search engine http://mixturtle.com/ and it has brought up many of their tracks. The one I listened to was shit. But hey what does that mean. Good luck.
Roberto Stallioni

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#308 Re: Neglected masterpieces
October 06, 2008, 01:00:07 pm
Oh, I like Chrome.

And don't forget The Pop Group's "Y" from '79, back when Munkii was swimming in his Daddies' balls:

andy popp

• forum hero
#309 Re: Neglected masterpieces
October 28, 2008, 10:06:24 pm
Just got Twin Peaks season 1 box set for fifteen quid. First time I've watched it since it was first broadcast and its just as good as I remember. As far as I'm aware its never been aired since - truly neglected.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#310 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 02, 2008, 10:41:48 am
JERRY SADOWITZ ~ Gobshite LP (1987)

Legendary Scottish Stand-up comedian/magician's album which was swiftly withdrawn due to some dodgy and libellous jokes about Jimmy Saville being a paedophile.  Great stuff!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#311 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 02, 2008, 10:56:54 am
JERRY SADOWITZ ~ Gobshite LP (1987)

Legendary Scottish Stand-up comedian/magician's album which was swiftly withdrawn due to some dodgy and libellous jokes about Jimmy Saville being a paedophile.  Great stuff!

Quality find Houd, was chatting with a mate the other day about how I'd not heard or seen much of Sadowitz in the last few years.  Cheers for this  :thumbsup:

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#312 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 02, 2008, 11:04:48 am
Just got Twin Peaks season 1 box set for fifteen quid. First time I've watched it since it was first broadcast and its just as good as I remember. As far as I'm aware its never been aired since - truly neglected.

did they ever release season 2 on dvd boxset? ive got the first but would be keen to watch the second again. wish they had continued it with some form of explaination as to what happened. or maybe the interest was in not knowing.

Cheers
Tim

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#313 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 02, 2008, 01:17:26 pm
I remember losing interest for that very reason. It seemed a bit emperor's new clothes after a while.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#314 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 04, 2008, 10:56:11 am
I'd not heard or seen much of Sadowitz in the last few years

www.jerrysadowitz.com

No doubt you will want to know the password for the Magician's Only section. I have it (but of course 8)) but I'll make you sweat it out for yourself.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#315 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 08, 2008, 06:26:41 pm
We all love The Beach Boys, I think we can take that as a given. And of course, going deeper, we all worship Brian Wilson as the great addled genius behind them. But how many of us give his brother Dennis the credit he's due?

This festive period I've been digging Dennis.

That Dennis was the second-best songwriter in the Beach Boys was amazing, as was the band's failure to appreciate him as such. Bursting with creativity, this album is the result of years of songwriting, only a small trickle of which wound up on Beach Boys records. An absolute classic, and so much better than anything the Boys did in the 70s up 'til this point (with the exception of "Sunflower," which is another Dennis showcase).

Posted this almost exactly a year ago. Now I don't like to crow [much] but this has just won reissue of the year in just about every single music mag. Check it out if you haven't already...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#316 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 15, 2008, 05:42:11 pm

Wish I had a copy of HARDCORE (starring George C Scott, 1979) to hand.  Wicked film, here's my favourite clip starring Big Dick Blaque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzfRaQUHpXQ&eurl=http://9one.blogspot.com/2008/05/im-big-dick-blaque.html&feature=player_embedded

Really worth finding.

Duma

• forum hero
#317 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 16, 2008, 02:43:15 pm
Re Pacicific Ocean Blue - wad to JB, great call. Enjoying now after picking it up today in fopp whilst supposedly looking for presents for other people...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#318 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 16, 2008, 07:44:00 pm
Nice. Our Fopp has shut down in Sheffield, not sure where I'll do my xmas shopping this year... it was a one stop job previously.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#319 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 17, 2008, 08:39:11 am
I thought they'd all shut down? They over expanded by taking over all the Music Zone shops and went bust (this was pre "credit crunch" of course but no doubt would be blamed on it if it had happened now a la Woolworths  :off:).

RIP indeed. Along with public houses it was the only thing that made shopping in town less of a chore.  :'(

JB - now you have broadband I would have thought the answer to your xmas shopping conundrum was obvious!  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#320 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 17, 2008, 08:49:55 am
The Glasgow and Edinburgh shops survived too. Bought out by HMV and kept a few stores open.

Old link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6923511.stm

Bet they were glad Zavvi didn't buy them out!

Sadly Aberdeen didn't survive, and they had just moved to bigger better premises :(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#321 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 17, 2008, 09:02:04 am
I honestly don't know what the management were thinking. If there was one high st music retailer well placed to continue profitable trading despite the internet it was Fopp and they fucked it all up by over expansion (which is a schoolboy business error). Damn them and damn HMV for not saving the Sheffield shop which is now yet another shitty coffee chain shop of wankness and cunts.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#322 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 17, 2008, 10:06:01 am
I would have a chain coffee shop over the expensive crap clothes shop (All Saints) that the Aberdeen shop now is. Although I am highly unlikely to set foot in either.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#323 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 17, 2008, 03:50:40 pm
We all love The Beach Boys, I think we can take that as a given. And of course, going deeper, we all worship Brian Wilson as the great addled genius behind them. But how many of us give his brother Dennis the credit he's due?

This festive period I've been digging Dennis.

That Dennis was the second-best songwriter in the Beach Boys was amazing, as was the band's failure to appreciate him as such. Bursting with creativity, this album is the result of years of songwriting, only a small trickle of which wound up on Beach Boys records. An absolute classic, and so much better than anything the Boys did in the 70s up 'til this point (with the exception of "Sunflower," which is another Dennis showcase).

Posted this almost exactly a year ago. Now I don't like to crow [much] but this has just won reissue of the year in just about every single music mag. Check it out if you haven't already...

Good call JB. I got this earlier in the year and have enjoyed it a good deal. There is one irritatingly jaunty track, but the rest of the album is really classic stuff.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#324 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 18, 2008, 05:55:47 pm
Good to hear y'all digging Dennis. As a christmas treat for all the Dennis fans, here's a couple more of my favourite Dennis tracks [actually I prefer them to anything on Pacific Ocean Blue];

River Song
Forever

I'll leave them up til Boxing day...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal