UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 162962 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#400 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 13, 2012, 01:18:22 pm
I simply can't get enough of Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams. Despite having most of his stuff, I keep coming back to this album for it's sheer simplicity and heartfelt blues based soul-y feel...

My favourite album.

fried

• forum hero
#401 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 28, 2013, 08:20:26 pm
Another year and some more stuff that shouldn't be forgotten.

Worth checking out the reaction to this album and show, back in the day. I'm still not sure about putting the photos in the  clip.

andy popp

• forum hero
#402 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 30, 2013, 07:21:03 am
Cheers Fried. I've always been aware of Kevin Coyne but have never really heard any or known where to start.

fried

• forum hero
#403 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 30, 2013, 07:45:03 am
I find the above album difficult to listen to in its entirety because I'm not a great fan of Dagmar Krause's style of singing on it.

The album Marjory Razorblade is a good place to start listening to Kevin Coyne.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#404 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 30, 2013, 08:07:31 am
At least I've learned where the name of the route at Dunkeld comes from. Every day's a schoolday.

Duma

• forum hero
#405 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 23, 2013, 10:04:48 pm
As always, not really neglected, but hey, I've been drinking.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#406 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 03, 2013, 01:35:19 pm
Has this been posted?

So Subterranean Homesick Alien comes from Parasite I guess.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#407 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 03, 2013, 02:08:46 pm
Is Nick Drake neglected??  Seems fairly ubiquitous these days

fried

• forum hero
#408 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 05, 2013, 09:36:17 pm
I'm home alone, so I can indulge my depressing 70's singer/ songwriter penchant.

I'll put up some Yes soon if noone starts contributing :jab:.

Nico is magnificent in this. Even better when psychically disturbed.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#409 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 02:51:27 pm
Have been annoying people on Twitter with Shack albums and I thought I'd do the same here :)

HMS Fable is my favourite, absolutely brilliant... http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/H+M+S+Fable/8111807

Stand out track for me is Comedy

Here Comes Tom with the Weather is not quite as good but still excellent... http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Here+s+Tom+With+The+Weather/8115314

Check them out!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#410 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 03:38:05 pm
And here's the best track (IMHO) off Here's Tom with the Weather...

fried

• forum hero
#411 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 05:07:58 pm
I used to love the Waterpistol album, I'll have to dust it off and give it a spin. (Metaphorically speaking, it's on mp3 somewhere).

andy popp

• forum hero
#412 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 07:27:35 pm
Good call Fatneck. I'm going to nominate a book L.P. Hartley's The Go-Between.Everyone knows the famous and wonderful opening sentence ('The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there') but seems much less actually read. Its a brilliant book; enthralling, disturbing, beautiful. I'm so glad I finally got round to it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#413 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 07:47:15 pm
Just bought some vinyl in Manc on a day trip up from darn sarrf...

Comus - First Utterance very, very, eerie, disturbing pysch/folk premier from 1971 in a double gatefold edition pressed in 180g vinyl.  They are playing with Judy Collins at the Scala in September and I have a ticket already.

Hannibal - The Tribe . Copies of this used to change hands for a couple of grand until Marvin Peterson compelled 'Men With Beards' to re-cut the acetates and pull off a 100 copies for the fans of spiritual and atomic blast free jazz. One for the Alice Coltrane, Albert Ayler, Sun Ra, Pharoah Saunders fans.

America - John Fahey's classic double, again on 180g double gatefold with the original booklet with the Voice of the Turtle.  Sounds waaaaaayyyyyy better than the crappily mastered CDs from the 90s.  Depth, breadth and majesty.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#414 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 16, 2013, 10:53:50 pm
Good call Fatneck. I'm going to nominate a book L.P. Hartley's The Go-Between.Everyone knows the famous and wonderful opening sentence ('The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there') but seems much less actually read. Its a brilliant book; enthralling, disturbing, beautiful. I'm so glad I finally got round to it.

Was our final year English book at school. I remember enjoying it immensely but not admitting it at the time!

underground

• forum hero
#415 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 17, 2013, 12:46:50 am
fatneck, Comedy is the track that drew me to Shack, and my word, what a track! FD - wow... Just back from yet another flying visit to London and wish I could make a week of work, visit you and gigs / nights out. It'll happen  ;)

I feel compelled to make a recommendation and mine are quite recent and should perhaps belong in FFFF-funky fresh or Hit me up with some Hip Hop but, I feel these guys are definitely neglected and have some absolute masterpieces in the canon, all taken from today's flying train in and out of London soundtrack:

First, for a lover of the MPC, Ta-Ku, whose album 'Beat Sketches vol.1' is just sublime, superbly listenable, the whole damn album is catchy and innovative and who I first heard via '50 days for Dilla' -  Fairy Tale (a tribute to Jun)...

'a tribute to' Jun, being the late, great Japanese producer Jun Seba Nujabes, diverse hiphop I love, yet dare play to the children,  just wonderful

Neil Cowley Trio

I first heard this guy years ago I suppose as he was on keys for the Brand New Heavies and Zero 7 but I never noticed... but then I heard this during my brief foray as the shit funk DJ on a local radio programme:

(apologies in advance for the Jools content)

The most recent album 'The Face of Mount Molehill' has this beauty as its first track....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#416 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 17, 2013, 09:23:26 am
'a tribute to' Jun, being the late, great Japanese producer Jun Seba Nujabes, diverse hiphop I love, yet dare play to the children,  just wonderful

Awesome man, simply beautiful...

Stubbs

#417 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 17, 2013, 10:30:35 am

Apparently this is based on an English folk song from the 1800's, it may be well known by people with better taste than me, but I only came across after my friend Sam covered it:

Love the lyrics, so evocative.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#418 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 17, 2013, 02:29:04 pm
Good posts this week.

Nice Stubbs - seems like there a bunch of versions around the same melody - my own favourite is by Gene Clark (who else?) and Carla Olson:

HMS Fable was one of the few albums I ever bought purely on the strength of a (fawning NME) review. Loved Comedy too, and Cornish Town. Had the album on constant rotation on a trip to Skye just after I graduated. Later in Leeds, we used to do drunken karaoke versions of Comedy, complete with overwrought scouse accents, with Ellie's and her best mate's boyfriend (from Birkenhead) on guitar - good times. Loved some of Waterpistol too, but never got on with the later stuff. The earlier Pale Fountains stuff is worth checking out too.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#419 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 17, 2013, 08:52:19 pm
Some fine music on here this week.  You guys are like the friends cool older brother or sister we had when we were younger opening our minds..

underground

• forum hero
#420 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 19, 2013, 01:00:27 am
Let's have Comedy on the thread for those who haven't had the pleasure:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#421 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 19, 2013, 08:41:33 am
Quote from: FD
You guys are like the friends cool older brother or sister we had when we were younger opening our minds..

+1

Quote from: Underground
Let's have Comedy on the thread for those who haven't had the pleasure

Ahem....

Quote from: Me
Stand out track for me is Comedy
Shack - Comedy

underground

• forum hero
#422 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 19, 2013, 10:07:59 am
 :-[  ;D

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#423 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 19, 2013, 10:12:42 am
Me and my missus also played HMS Fable to death for a few years - lovely album.

I reckon Cherry Ghost has a similar feel. Love this track:

and this one:

and this one:

Saw a local busking band in Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay last summer sing a few Cherry Ghost songs and was struck by how powerful the songs were, even when they were stripped right down. I confess I was glassing over...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#424 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 19, 2013, 11:52:46 am
Some cracking stuff on here. Hadn't heard Shack before, good stuff and it really reminded me of another band who never seem to get the recognition they should (here anyway, they're massive in Ireland) Bell X1.

Their 2003 album Music In Mouth definitely qualifies as a masterpiece imo, one of my favourite albums ever which includes this:

and this:

and this:

not to mention this which is just fabulous and beautiful and I will never tire of hearing.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal