UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 161576 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#450 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2013, 08:13:19 pm
I was going to post 'Hamburger Lady' by TG but decided to sleep on it. It would have spoiled the aesthetic.

underground

• forum hero
#451 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2013, 09:00:41 pm
 :whistle: :coffee: :hug:

On the Jim Croce tip, I know/have heard this before but can't for the life of me place it?

Edit - Django Unchained!

Loved that Pat Metheny Group tune Footwork! Thanks...

fried

• forum hero
#452 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2013, 10:08:04 pm
I was going to post 'Hamburger Lady' by TG but decided to sleep on it. It would have spoiled the aesthetic.

Yeah, Houdini would be spinning in his...

Mind you I like a nice bit of country cheese. Might spin a bit of Carol King tonight.

Tom J

#453 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 09, 2013, 03:55:13 am
Just stumbled across the very amazing Avett Brothers... The album "I and Love and You" is simply stunning. Stand out track for me is The Laundry Room...

The Avetts are a class act, I think 10,000 words is my favourite from that album.
They've got a bunch o good stuff, I remember really digging 'The Gleam' EP a few years back.

Tom J

#454 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 09, 2013, 04:03:40 am
This thread is a beauty, i reckon this belongs here

underground

• forum hero
#455 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 22, 2013, 12:10:48 am
Just having a Richard James / Euros Childs / Gorky's love-in by candlelight and although anything related to my time living in Wales doesn't take much recommending, RJ is definitely a candidate for totally underrated,

'Pictures in the Morning' is a masterpiece - 'Sun Ease Pain' has some lovely guitar that reminds me of Nick Drake, and Gorky's 'The Blue Trees', and 'Say it ain't no lie' is lovely and understated. The whole album is great but these two tracks running into each other is lovely.

I've only heard bits of the Euros Childs / Norman Blake collab 'Jonny' before but now I have the entire album and although it's nothing more than exactly what you'd expect from the two together - the country tinged, upbeat, happy strolling arms swinging non-noisy Gorkys and later-era less metally Fannies - it's like they are made for each other. Bloody brilliant. Probably 80/20 Childs to Blake ratio but I don't mind that - although I reckon 'Candyfloss' is straight down the middle:

Euros runs hot and cold I reckon (much like Gorky's did) and I wasn't that into Chops (some good tracks like 'Circus Time')

More recently I've loved a couple of tracks (not bought the albums yet - them: being on his label, can't find them to buy on Amazon and being a Spotify whore and they aren't on there; plus living just outside wanky Sheffield where there's only one remaining 'record shop' that's a pain in the arse to get to during my usual operating hours and a PITA to park near, means I'd rather not risk the dosh on stuff that just might have several decent songs and some shit ones with poodles barking recorded on a Casio PT1...

Here they are anyway, before I start off on one:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#456 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 22, 2013, 12:23:40 am
I always find him a bit too Welsh.

andy popp

• forum hero
#457 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 22, 2013, 08:16:18 am
It sounds like you're looking for Euros recommendations UG? By far the best and most consistent of the four albums I have is 'The Miracle Inn'. Some really lovely, quite poignant stuff and every track is good. Highly recommended.

fried

• forum hero
#458 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 04, 2014, 07:51:08 pm
To a new year of new stuff.

From Vivian Stanshall's classic 1974 album 'Men opening umbrellas ahead'

Listen to the whole album. Comedy, spoken word, dick obsessed manic depressive music hall.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#459 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 08, 2014, 09:39:12 am
Strolling through Crackerfarm's channel on Youtube, I came across Nathan Reich. The guy has S.O.U.L.

Islands, (the second song on here) is particularly just beautiful...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#460 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 08, 2014, 11:11:24 am
Going back to Ryan Adams for a moment I just found this playlist of the Suicide Handbook. Only got this as a dodgy download of live sings so lovely to hear it here. Some stunning songs. Amazed more didn't make it onto Gold...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#461 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 27, 2015, 11:34:05 am
Bump...

Just discovered a playlist of Shack's infamous lost album Waterpistol... Amazing!!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRLrKLtPGSyRC4V_OF30mmdTcG0PNwOcw

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#462 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 02, 2015, 11:10:36 am
Not been a fan of Sun Kil Moon for long (he's a bit weird and takes some getting used to I think) but his new album "Universal Landscapes" was released yesterday and is streaming live from his website today. I'm only a few tracks in but loving it so far...

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/skmuniv2015/

*Not sure this post really fits the bill of "neglected masterpieces" but couldn't think of where else it might fit...*

andy popp

• forum hero
#463 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 30, 2015, 09:40:24 pm
Thanks Simon. I've, in essence, listened to nothing but Sun Kil Moon for months now, the greatest songwriter working at the moment.

Here's Birds of Flims from the new album;

Saw him at the Royal Northern College of Music of Music in Manchester in July; spellbinding. And I have tickets for Philadelphia in October; I can't wait, every show is different, a complete revelation,

Here is Duk Koo Kim, a masterpiece from 2003:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#464 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 04, 2015, 10:51:57 am
Nice one Andy!

JamieG

• forum hero
#465 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 04, 2015, 03:37:30 pm
I have soft spot with for Sun Kil Moon too. He reminds me of Springsteen a bit! Now bear with me. Not his stadium rock "Born in the U.S.A" type stuff but his stripped back albums like 'ghost of tom joad' and in particular 'nebraska'. That kind of lo-fi narration style to his singing and songwriting. With lots of straight up narrative rather than difficult to interpret lyrics. I think this keeps the songs much more honest and truthful but also must be much harder to write well. I'll check out the new album.

petekitso

• player
#466 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 04, 2015, 04:03:35 pm
Not as interesting as the last couple of SunKilMoon albums but he started off in Red House Painters. Fans of thoroughly miserable barbed indie music (such as me) may like them, I would start with 'Katy Song' and the piano version of 'Mistress'. He was already fairly bitter twenty years ago . . .

Just seeing Shack mentioned a few posts back, the Michael Head & the Strands album from the mid nineties and a collection of bsides have just been (re)released and are both excellent - definitely neglected masterpieces.

I also enjoy music not from the mid 1990s . . .

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#467 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 04, 2015, 07:14:56 pm
I saw Red House Painters at the (mostly crap) Slint curated ATP and they were one of the highlights of the weekend.

underground

• forum hero
#468 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 08, 2015, 02:01:29 am
I haven't been around for a while, so hello again  :)
This is perhaps a tiny bit out of date but, having been to Brixton Academy back in May (amazing how time is passing by) for what was the celebration of re-release of 'Mwng', and incidentally the best and most joyous gig I've ever attended in my entire life, I'm proposing that album as a totally neglected masterpiece. Given the words to the English translation of 'Cryndod Yn Dy Lais' I had it as the 'reflective' bit in the middle of my mum's funeral in June. I think I would have done in spite of the gig in May.

Pako

• addict
#469 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 08, 2015, 02:59:04 am
Anyone here listen to much shoegaze or noise pop/rock? I've been very much enjoying a Place to Bury Strangers, a great modern noise rock band, and also excellent for training.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#470 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 04, 2016, 11:02:40 am
Fully expected that I'd posted this in the Best of 2015 thread but it appears I did not, hence it's going in here.

I keep coming back to it. A really brilliant album and 12 months down the line from first hearing it, I can't get enough...

Duma

• forum hero
#471 Re: Neglected masterpieces
May 04, 2016, 11:11:59 am
Great isn't it?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#472 Re: Neglected masterpieces
October 10, 2016, 01:30:39 pm
Bit of a bump here but I had a rather random reminder from my brother about the might of Gregory Alan Isakov the other day and thought I'd share...

Enjoy!

fried

• forum hero
#473 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2016, 07:07:22 pm
Still haven't had the time to listen to the above, will do soon.

I don't know how I've managed to miss this, probably not really neglected, but can't get it out of my head since I heard it on 6Music. Must've played it 50 times this week, haven't done that for a while.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#474 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2016, 09:32:01 pm
...I had the Fast Records Sampler on last night featuring that Mekons track. Just great. Same LP, Being Boiled and Circus of Death, Human League back at the start of their life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal