UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 163163 times)

fried

• forum hero
#375 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 24, 2012, 09:52:53 pm
Just been listening to this. One of my missus favourites.

Sleep now.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#376 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 24, 2012, 10:27:31 pm
brilliant phrasing. you can see where Scott Walker got his inspiration. I was always a fan of 'Ca va' - worth seeking out.

The next genius interpreter of the chanson:
Serge Gainsbourg - Les Sucettes

Not his best song, but typical of his seedy subversiveness.. Apparently France Gall, a big hit back then, thought she was singing about a girl called Annie who liked lollipops. bless.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#377 Re: Neglected masterpieces
January 25, 2012, 09:51:39 am
Neglected Masterpieces / Hidden Gems?

This should be good.

http://www.aagm.co.uk/Exhibitions/Current/From-Van-Gogh-to-Vettriano.aspx

Worth a look if anyone is in Aberdeen city centre with a few hours to spare.

fried

• forum hero
#378 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 02, 2012, 08:21:30 pm

Just because I'm going to see him next week and they always used to be one of the best live bands ever.

From the album 'Glum'

This is excellent and much better than the album version IMO.

Best drummer in the world too!

andy popp

• forum hero
#379 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 18, 2012, 04:13:55 pm
Last week's obituaries sent me in search of this,

fried

• forum hero
#380 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 19, 2012, 08:41:56 am
Brilliant  :2thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#381 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 21, 2012, 09:46:58 pm
Props to Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone show on 6 for this:

William Basinski: The Disintegration Loops I-IV
    2062; 2003 (Review from Pitchfork.com)

You are slowly being destroyed. It's imperceptible in the scheme of a day or a week or even a year, but you are aging, and your body is degrading. As your cells synthesize the very proteins that allow you to live, they also release free radicals, oxidants that literally perforate your tissue and cause you to grow progressively less able to perform as you did at your peak. By the time you reach 80, you will literally be full of holes, and though you'll never notice a single one of them, you will inevitably feel their collective effect. Aging and degradation are forces of nature, functions of living, and understanding them can be as terrifying as it is gratifying.

It's not the kind of thing you can say often, but I think William Basinski's Disintegration Loops are a step toward that understanding-- the music itself is not so much composed as it is this force of nature, this inevitable decay of all things, from memory to physical matter, made manifest in music. During the summer of 2001, Basinski set about transferring a series of 20-year-old tape loops he'd had in storage to a digital file format, and was startled when this act of preservation began to devour the tapes he was saving. As they played, flakes of magnetic material were scraped away by the reader head, wiping out portions of the music and changing the character and sound of the loops as they progressed, the recording process playing an inadvertent witness to the destruction of Basinski's old music.

The process may be the hook for this sprawling four-disc set, but the loops themselves are stunning, ethereal studies in sound so fluid that the listener scarcely registers the fact that it's nothing but many hundreds of repetitions of a brief, simple loop that they're hearing. I imagine that life within the womb might sound something akin to these slowly swelling, beauteous snatches of orchestral majesty and memory-haze synthesizer. The pieces are uniformly consonant, embellished with distant whalesong arpeggios and echoing percussion.

In essence, Basinski is improvising using nothing so much as the passage of time as his instrument, and the result is the most amazing piece of process music I've ever heard, an encompassing soundworld as lulling as it is apocalyptic...

andy popp

• forum hero
#382 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 22, 2012, 07:59:13 pm
Wish the loop was looped again.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#383 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 22, 2012, 09:23:47 pm
Lief Inge: 9BeetStretch. Beethoven's 9th symphony stretched to 24 hours without pitch distortion.

Continuous stream

'Live' event Newcastle 1st March

The app

fried

• forum hero
#384 Re: Neglected masterpieces
February 25, 2012, 03:25:28 pm
Nice drones, although I could do with playing the Beethoven at ear-splitting volume. Could also be in 'photo shop hall of shame' too :jab:.

More drone - I'm reading 'rip it up and start again' so a bit of a post punk connection.

10 minutes long too.

andy popp

• forum hero
#385 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 09, 2012, 06:24:20 am
In a small room in the Walker, Liverpool, completely unannounced, no special attention given, is this painting:

Obviously as a Rembrandt its hardly neglected but everytime I go there I'm astounded by it and by the way it just sits there among the other paintings. Loads of people wander through that room without even noticing it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#386 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 09, 2012, 02:47:13 pm
Masters of Reality first album "Masters of Reality" 1990

every track's a winner

here are 3

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#387 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 09, 2012, 04:48:30 pm
 :thumbsup: I had this on cassette and wore it out and _love_ this album.  I recently found out they are wrapped up in the Kyuss/QOTSA desert rock thing.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#388 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 09, 2012, 06:53:56 pm
I had this on cassette and wore it out

me too

I seem to remember it got 10 out of 10 in Kerrang's review

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#389 Re: Neglected masterpieces
March 09, 2012, 06:56:46 pm

Obviously as a Rembrandt its hardly neglected but everytime I go there I'm astounded by it and by the way it just sits there among the other paintings. Loads of people wander through that room without even noticing it.

Sudley house had some Stubbs and a Constable IIRC. They move the collections about though so it's lucky dip! Well worth a look over anyway, it was George Mellie's gran's till she bequethed to the city. He used to play there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#390 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 10, 2012, 10:19:42 am
I listened to this last night for probably the first time in 18 years, after a reference on a TV programme made me think of it.

Still sounds amazing, and I could still remember most if it word for word and note for note.

fried

• forum hero
#391 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 19, 2012, 06:18:22 pm
I remember seeing the House of Love in Blackburn, excellent concert and the best thing that's ever happened to me there.

This is very good from one of the sacked halves of the Fall.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#392 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 19, 2012, 07:54:05 pm

Two from The Monochrome Set ......... Saw them on friday night and was pleasantly surprised at how witty, charming and louche they still are .......
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:01:17 pm by grumpycrumpy »

andy popp

• forum hero
#393 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 28, 2012, 05:27:46 pm
Been enjoying myself a bit of this ...

fried

• forum hero
#394 Re: Neglected masterpieces
April 28, 2012, 05:46:08 pm
You might like this....I have to be in the right mood for it. From her first self titled album.

fried

• forum hero
#395 Re: Neglected masterpieces
June 04, 2012, 07:59:31 pm

Yet another singer/ songwriter beginning with the letter 'A'. I believe Clive James co-wrote this.

andy popp

• forum hero
#396 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 23, 2012, 07:40:23 am
The start tomorrow of the BBC's adaptation seems the perfect opportunity to praise to high heaven Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End - one of the greatest British novels of the twentieth-century and criminally under-known.

No idea what the adaptation will be like but they've clearly tried to stuff all the 'racy' bits in the trailer - which is not, for me, representative of the atmosphere of the books (its four vols.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00xnjcl

andy popp

• forum hero
#397 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 11, 2012, 05:40:36 pm
These dark, cold winter nights are perfect for a few of M.R. James' brilliant ghost stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._R._James). Quintessentially English.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#398 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 11, 2012, 07:28:20 pm
I bought this for myself as an early Christmas present after being introduced to the artist on this thread a few years ago.

Review here

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#399 Re: Neglected masterpieces
December 13, 2012, 11:28:03 am
To my shame I haven't spent much time on this thread so apologies if this is a re-post but...

I simply can't get enough of Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams. Despite having most of his stuff, I keep coming back to this album for it's sheer simplicity and heartfelt blues based soul-y feel...

Still can't listen to this

with a dry eye. Can't even put my finger on why either...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal