UKBouldering.com

Neglected masterpieces (Read 162551 times)

underground

• forum hero
#425 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 20, 2013, 12:59:04 am
Just chatting to my mate and he tells me he did this 15 years ago (he played the horns and sampled the rest)

fried

• forum hero
#426 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 24, 2013, 07:47:33 pm
Last one before the autumn. The Pere ubu version doesn't really qualify as a 'neglected' massterpiece, but the 'original' version, in that this group spawned Pere ubu and the dead boys, blows the Pere ubu version out of the water.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#427 Re: Neglected masterpieces
July 30, 2013, 03:29:04 pm
Loving the Cherry Ghost and Bell X1 shizzle... Keep it coming troops...

underground

• forum hero
#428 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 08, 2013, 11:53:50 pm
I don't really think this is strictly a case for 'neglected masterpieces' as such, but I sure missed the band and have never really heard much hype about them compared to contemporaries - but I have really loved listening to and reading about The Durutti Column and Vini Reilly this week. I'm glad really as I don't think I would have 'got it' a few years ago... suffice to say a massive eye opener

andy popp

• forum hero
#429 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 09, 2013, 07:15:25 am
I don't really think this is strictly a case for 'neglected masterpieces' as such, but I sure missed the band and have never really heard much hype about them compared to contemporaries - but I have really loved listening to and reading about The Durutti Column and Vini Reilly this week. I'm glad really as I don't think I would have 'got it' a few years ago... suffice to say a massive eye opener

The very definition of NM I would say. A band I've always known about but not really listened to. Where did you start?

Very excited that in a week's time I'll be seeing Robert Wyatt, someone else who epitomises NM - though, alas, he's only doing a talk rather than playing/singing. I started this thread with a post about John Cale and at the same event I'll be getting a chance to see him perform too.

underground

• forum hero
#430 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 10, 2013, 01:41:37 am
For me, totally, but I have been assuming maybe incorrectly that I just missed the boat on this one due to lack of coverage compared to their contemporaries - I started with 'The Guitar and Other Machines' and 'Pol in B' is a standout track, for me.

Love Robert Wyatt, although in spite of the non-peformance I've always loved to hear him speak, if nothing else I love his accent but also he seems so laid back yet humorous, thoughtful and non-affected. Stoic too, after a documentary I watched recently when his wife talked about him.

I must admit John Cale is almost unknown to me, now on my list, and someone I'd narrow mindedly always avoided because I never really liked Lou Reed.

andy popp

• forum hero
#431 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 11, 2013, 06:32:44 pm
Thanks UG.

Sad to report the Robert Wyatt talk has been cancelled. I'll have to make do with another chance to see Patti Smith.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#432 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 11, 2013, 09:04:55 pm
I started with 'The Guitar and Other Machines' and 'Pol in B' is a standout track, for me.

That's where I started too, though I think 'Bordeaux sequence' is the one I go back for the most.

If you haven't already, I'd move on to 'The return of...' - Sketch for a summer was almost a hit at the height of Madchester. But its a big back catalogue and sorely in need of a good retrospective - if you've got Spotify there's a lot to go at. I'd say big standout tracks are rare, but at the same time there are very few turkeys. As Wilson famously said, 'it's good music to chill out to'.

Duma

• forum hero
#433 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 13, 2013, 04:17:37 am
It's not Carmelita, but then nothing is...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#434 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 18, 2013, 04:16:01 pm
I've bought some really great re-released neglected masterpieces on vinyl lately.

Comus - First Utterance.  A classic psych/folk/prog album from 1970.  Really unusual and much darker and eerie than the Fairport, Pentangle take on folk rock.   

Witch - Introduction.  A Zambian (zamrock) band from the early seventies.  Inspired by Hendrix, James Brown and the garage/psych California west coast sound.  Really funky jams with a gritty fuzz.

Lucifer Rising - Bobby Beausoleil.  This one has a dark history.  Kenneth Anger picked Bobby Beausoleil to play the part of Lucifer, the fallen angel, in his new movie Lucifer Rising.  Beausoleil accepted on the condition that he write and perform the soundtrack but before filming started he stabbed a drug dealer in a fight and was jailed awaiting sentence.  A few weeks later, his chums the Manson family went on their Helter Skelter killing spree and buy association he was included in the sentencing.  After a couple of years, Anger contacted Beausoleil in jail to ask him if he could still record the sountrack.  Beausoleil managed to persuade the authorities to allow him to form a band and hand built the recording equipment producing some amazing jams.  Anger changed his mind and then asked Jimmy Page (through their shared interest in Thelema) to write it, but Page never delivered.  Anyway, Ajna records have released a 4x LP box set of the original score and other material and it's brilliant.  The boxed set itself is a work of art, each record is pressed in coloured vinyl and there's a load of written material too.  Great music and a fascinating true-life story.

Akira Kurosawa's Sountracks - Wow... the soundtrack to Rashomon is just beautiful.  Four slabs of 180g vinyl with the scores from Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Ikuru and The Hidden Fortress.  Like Kurosawa, the composer Hayasaka was inspired heavily by European influences and the combination of these with a Japanese orchestra is really intriguing.  Great stuff.

A Tribute to Conny Plank - Various.  Not really neglected per se, but a compilation of 'Krautrock' producer Plank's most interesting efforts with the various artists he worked with. 

Hannibal - The Tribe.  Re-issued as this was changing hands for up to $20k on eBay.  A 1979 spiritual Jazz album a la Pharoah Sanders and Phil Ranelin. Lovely.

I've got all my records back from 'home' now and plan to do some mixes that I'll put up on t'internet somewhere for your listening pleasure.

fried

• forum hero
#435 Re: Neglected masterpieces
August 29, 2013, 06:06:58 pm
I gave that  Comus album a listen and the music sounds good, but unfortunately I just can't get passed the vocals. I'll give it another listen. One of the most melacholly things I've heard in a while.

Thought you might like this Krautprogrock. It's being reissued on vinyl in September. The origanal fetches silly money.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#436 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 01, 2013, 02:47:27 pm
Nice.... never heard of them before.  I shall seek out the whole album.  On a related note, there's a great fourty-years-on appraisal of Space Ritual on The Quietus this week.

underground

• forum hero
#437 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 06, 2013, 09:23:13 pm
Lots to report tonight so bear with me if I go on a Friday night rant..

Tonight I'm revisiting
'The Hazards of Love' by The Decemberists

which I bought and lost when it came out - I hesitate to call it a 'prog rock tour de force' as the phrase has stuck in my throat after reading Hawley's Standing at The Sky's Edge (which I still think is shit) described as such and then a twat of a work colleague repeating it...

but anyway, it's brilliant, have a listen (the longer it's playing the more 'ooooh' moments I'm having)

This week has been a good one for Neglected Masterpieces, I've been really loving the

Wave Pictures' 'Instant Coffee Baby' which I totally missed when it was released, heard Dutch Uncles - 'Dutch uncles' for the first time (which sound very much like Field Music to me so they make the list too)

Futureheads 'Rant' I totally love and have been listening to for months since seeing them perform Richard Thompson's 'Beeswing' at the St. Pancras Station Sessions

(that also reminds me of

The Morning Orchestra

but haven't heard / seen much from them since

Since I was in Lleyn last week I played loads of [

b]Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog[/b]

Then a couple of tracks, first one I heard on TOTP2 by chance while I was staying up late aimlessly burning twigs on the fire:

Bobby Goldsboro 'Summer (the first time)'

and instantly loved it,

and when I played it to a friend she recommended a track from the Django unchained soundtrack,
Jim Croce 'I Got a Name'

Finally, (one for Johnny Brown) I actually heard Jehovahkill for the first time and wondered why on earth I've ignored Julian Cope till now....

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#438 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 06, 2013, 09:42:41 pm
Finally, (one for Johnny Brown) I actually heard Jehovahkill for the first time and wondered why on earth I've ignored Julian Cope till now....

Easy Done, I own several JC albums but still manage to neglect them for months or years at a time. Usually listen in fairly exclusive short bursts, good stuff to rediscover over and over again.

fried

• forum hero
#439 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 06, 2013, 10:36:14 pm

Easy Done, I own several JC albums but still manage to neglect them for months or years at a time. Usually listen in fairly exclusive short bursts, good stuff to rediscover over and over again.

You know which album you need to listen to :whistle:

andy popp

• forum hero
#440 Re: Neglected masterpieces
September 11, 2013, 02:00:36 pm
Today I have been listening to the incomparable Anne Briggs.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#441 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 05, 2013, 09:23:23 am
Just stumbled across the very amazing Avett Brothers... The album "I and Love and You" is simply stunning. Stand out track for me is The Laundry Room...

Disclaimer - this may not be "neglected" by anyone else but me, but I'm so blown away by them and I've never heard of them before hence their inclusion here...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#442 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 05, 2013, 09:54:48 am
Title track of the album is worth a listen also...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#443 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 06, 2013, 07:55:13 am
Simply stunning...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#444 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 06, 2013, 10:31:28 am
A name I've not heard in ages! A friend was really into him and played his stuff all the time. I used to think it was shit, but my tastes have matured somewhat. Thanks.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#445 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 07, 2013, 09:54:29 am
Cheers, although on reflection I think I actually prefer this version!

Duma

• forum hero
#446 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 07, 2013, 10:21:57 am
Hmmm, thought I recognised this when you posted the Jim Croce version, but I'd never even heard of him. Now, I'm wondering if the Avett Brothers did this cover at green man 2011... Andy, did you catch this set? Thanks anyway, thoroughly enjoyed both versions.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#447 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 07, 2013, 10:14:23 pm
I remember my Dad blaring this one out of his speakers when I was younger. He used to try and sing along too...

andy popp

• forum hero
#448 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 07, 2013, 10:34:48 pm
Hmmm, thought I recognised this when you posted the Jim Croce version, but I'd never even heard of him. Now, I'm wondering if the Avett Brothers did this cover at green man 2011... Andy, did you catch this set? Thanks anyway, thoroughly enjoyed both versions.

I think I might have been but honestly can't say for sure. Hadn't heard of Jim Croce before either but kind of enjoyed that.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#449 Re: Neglected masterpieces
November 08, 2013, 08:34:17 am
On the Jim Croce tip, I know/have heard this before but can't for the life of me place it?

Edit - Django Unchained!

Loved that Pat Metheny Group tune Footwork! Thanks...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal