UKBouldering.com

motiv8 (Read 3083 times)

dave

motiv8
May 23, 2003, 04:06:10 pm
Just been thinking about great climbing images that really motivated me back when i was starting out. Theres some that I'll always remember and still get the juices flowing today. You know, the kind of thing where you see it and thing "fuck me sideways". So what are yours?

For me the ultimate has to be this one which was on the cover of the 3rd OTE i bought. Thats back when i was a decent read.

Also the one in the '89 stanage guide of geoff radcliffe soloing desperation, which i knew was out of reach for me at the time, but eventually i could do the same. Bo.

Increase da peace.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 motiv8
May 23, 2003, 07:40:52 pm
That is a cool photo Dave mate. I can't remember seeing that one, its awesome, the bridge in the background really gives you a feeling of perspective. Whats the route - the very Big and the very small?

When I first started the pics of Ben Moon on the dominator really got me psyched

and since then there are loads, but the one that sticks out more than most is that one of Malc on Careless Torque, stood up with both hands on the arete on that most awesome arete. However, I couldn't find a copy so heres a good second best to make do with :

dave

#2 motiv8
May 23, 2003, 11:02:28 pm
Yes that route is The Very Big And The Very Small.

I belive the Malc photo you're on about is this one:

Which i agree is kwaliti.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 motiv8
May 24, 2003, 12:18:30 am
That arete is one of *the* great lines - I remember standing beneath it after Ron did it all them years ago and thnking "how the fuck do you even start this?!"

Ron was ahead of his time on this one - hard, highball, awesome piece of rocck. RESPECK !!!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 motiv8
May 25, 2003, 07:40:41 pm
That picture of Malc is amazing, especially because of the fat bloke spotter. No wonder that Malc went for it with a human mattress like that stood at the base.

The image that did it for me as an impressionable youth was Ben cut loose on Agincourt. This photo (that appeared in an early OTE) was largely responsible for that dusty campsite in Apt filling up with a generation of scruffy Brit climbers.

Cheers, Simon.

(It's me in the Careless Torque photo in case you hadn't worked it out!)

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 motiv8
May 25, 2003, 09:25:55 pm
funnnily enough i'd say the Dawes on the very big and the very small , but Heinz Zak's photo of  it makes it look fuckin mental. Plus he was my childhood hero before i knew any better. Also Moony on liquid amber .

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 motiv8
May 28, 2003, 08:48:59 am
The earliest one I can remember was a cover shot (climber & rambler?) of  Jerry Moffat on Ulysees - it was a photo looking down from above at Jerry smearing up what appeared to be an *impossible* bit of rock. Nice.

dave

#7 motiv8
May 28, 2003, 09:00:13 am
Is that the one they have a big blow-up of in outside in llanberis?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 motiv8
May 28, 2003, 09:02:10 am
Might be, but  I've never been into Outside in Beris. I think he's in shorts and wearing Fires, with his old stylee mophead hairdo.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal