UKBouldering.com

The Tube (Read 20478 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
The Tube
August 31, 2006, 01:05:14 pm
Well done to Dan and Graham for discovering this place and climbing some mighty fine problems. Like the name suggests, this cave is a tube of sorts, though the two entrances are roughly at right angles. There are no more than 10 problems here, and a few link ups, but the two main lines are brilliant. It's in a scenic location and apparently also stays dry in all weather. Not bad eh?

Dan (woz) is the man to get in touch with if you are eager to check it out. Here are some photos to whet your appetite:

Obelisk, 7a+ - Straight up via crimps and a slopey layaway...

Dawn Raider, 7c - From a low start around the arete to the right, some dynamic moves lead leftwards across the lip...

Creep, 7c+ - From the back, big moves lead out of the cave. Looks knackering, but excellent. Surely the best roof problem in the peak.These photos only show half of the route...

Doug Hnuts
, 7a+ - Technical lowballing along the lip into the same finish as Creep.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 01:14:39 pm
Niice. Liking the sound of Creep. Did I hear talk of video? Will an online topo be on the way?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#2 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 01:21:03 pm
Glad you enjoyed the tour robin! I have a bit of video which I will be able to post as soon as it is edited. I've also got a basic topo which also I could put up as it sounds like several people would be interested.
The cave is in Hall Dale, just off Dovedale. You can park in the village of stanshope, about 15mins walk away. Unfortunatly the cave is quite hidden so I will knock up an approach map.
dan

village idiot

#3 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 02:13:48 pm
looks ace, nice effort guys.  looking forward to checking the place out!!

ned

• menacing presence
#4 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 04:19:51 pm
Aye, it looks brilliant. Definitely keen for a look.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#5 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 04:31:09 pm
Tis a good place some really classic lines! A bit of traffic would be brilliant! :great:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 06:40:43 pm
it will be the last time i will put stuff on this sight, and we were only wondering whether it had been done before.
oh well back up to leeds soon and yorkshire where the climbing is good and people tend not to be such up their own ass pricks like the climbing community in Sheffield

welcome back, and this new venue certainly looks like it could be in yorkshire, it looks really good from the photo's

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 07:18:30 pm
Are you missing Andi_e by any chance Dense?

He's been away for sooo long, you must be pining.

:boohoo:

(woz)

• forum abuser
#8 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 07:31:47 pm
Thanks for all the positive comments :), but I'm not quite sure how that quote relates to me :-\
anyway, here is the video:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 08:05:26 pm
it doesn't

looks like a half decent little place

Stubbs

#10 Re: The Tube
August 31, 2006, 08:09:24 pm
Good work Woz, that long Creep looks awesome.  :great:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 06:40:13 am
looks good. I'd like to check it out if it ever stops raining or I get 5 minutes of the never project that is the attic conversion  :'(

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 09:16:42 am
Creep looks great on the vid. Looks like the cave being open at both ends should help avoid the usual dank greasy cave syndrome.

fashionguru

• player
#13 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 09:41:00 am
This area looks great.

Was told about by a friend yesterday but did not have internet as my stupid computer has been playing up again.

Anyway back on-line and the photos and Vids look great lads.

Went to try and fin it last night but did not manage to.

Could you please post a few directions or at least send me a grid ref so I know where to head.

From the Vid it looks as if you walk right down to the bottom of Hall Dale just about 50 yrds from the bottom and the sign to Ilam bridge there is a scree slope and a slight worn path. presume this is what you take but where do you go from there?

Well done lads cant wait to try the new problems look like some of the better new peak ones around.

Tony

strong man

#14 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 01:21:23 pm
this place looks like a worse version than the tor or rubicon which is not saying much seeing as those places are on the verge of choss too!
it looks fuckin miserable!
i know everyone else thought this too, just didnt want to say it.
so i did.
british limestone.... not very good.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 01:46:03 pm
 Grow up strong man (what makes me think you are neither?). By all means express your disdain for UK limestone, have you ever been to Pembroke, High Tor, Malham, Gordale, LPT BTW? But only a small minded little shit would diss people for taking the time and trouble to find new places. Especially when what they have to offer is as good as anything that peak limestone has to offer. What other good roof probs are there in the peak, Ben's roof, what else? You say you know what everyone else thinks, do you know I think you are a jealous, immature  :wank: ?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#16 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 02:50:12 pm
Could you please post a few directions or at least send me a grid ref so I know where to head.

From the Vid it looks as if you walk right down to the bottom of Hall Dale just about 50 yrds from the bottom and the sign to Ilam bridge there is a scree slope and a slight worn path. presume this is what you take but where do you go from there?

Unfortunatly i've not been at my home computer so haven't had chance to make a little approach map/topo yet, so here goes with some brief directions:

I usually park in Stanshope, and then follow the path into Hall Dale through a couple of fields. Once over the last wall, I turn left and go up the steep slope formed by the side of the valley, right to the top by the wall. Now follow the wall along (passing two gates) to where a short barbed wire fence leaves the wall, and goes diagonally towards you, down the hill. Walk between the end of this and a small rocky knoll, heading down the hill. The cave is pretty much directly beneath this knoll - just where the bushes and trees start.

When at the cave, you can get down to the main path again by going straight down the steep scree bank (This might form an easier approach when you know exactly where to go up) - but I prefer to go back the same way.

If this is no use then bear with me and I should have the other stuff sorted soon. Hope you enjoy it! Oh, and take the grades with a very large pinch of salt ;) as per usual with new venues/problems with few ascents they were pretty much stabs in the dark.

Re Strong man - I'm not sure how serious that was, but I found it quite amusing anyway ;)

dan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:04:47 pm by (woz) »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 03:59:06 pm
Pembroke is better than Volx, Frankenjura, and buoux combined.  Twice.  So there! 

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#18 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 04:12:49 pm
Totally disagree, and that's just on the basis of Buoux and Volx (I haven't been to the Frankenjura). I've done stacks of routes at Pembroke, and it is a 'good' crag (as opposed to the 'amazing' Gogarth), but Buoux is in a different league, i.e. it's world class.

Sorry, bit off topic 'n' all that.

fashionguru

• player
#19 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 04:34:15 pm
Cheers M8,

Me and Mike are going again this eve to find and have a play.

So will let you know what your directions are like.

Thanks

T

By the way of reply to the ramblings British Limestone may not be world class when compared to some stuff but I have been to plenty of shit venues in thye rest of the world and it makes you apprieciate what we have.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#20 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 06:56:36 pm
i agree with strong man, in a way, the photo's make the place look utter wank as you can tell from my posting of monkey boys ramblings of never coming on this site again and how good yorkshire is and how up our own arse we are here (sheffield). however, when i watched the vid i thought that a couple of the probs looked ok. may be going there soon with uncle, jim and keenus. jim phoned me today and started going on about how good it looked and i told him it looked wank, simply cos it doesn't look that good, just somewhere different.

ferret

• forum abuser
#21 Re: The Tube
September 01, 2006, 07:47:02 pm
of course it looks shit in the photos dense its peak limestone bouldering ffs. u gota admit the climbing looks interesting tho, proper steep climbing for once, real holds not the normal tweaky shit.

good effort lads i can see this becoming a popular venue in the future.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#22 Re: The Tube
September 02, 2006, 02:39:31 pm
when I say looks good, I mean the climbing looks good, not the views or the asthetics(sp?). Name me one good looking limestone venue. none, they all look shit.
Its gonna be wetter than an otters pocket tomorrow as well. fuck

Stubbs

#23 Re: The Tube
September 02, 2006, 06:39:38 pm
Name me one good looking limestone venue. none, they all look shit.

or did you mean in this country?

:shrug:

fashionguru

• player
#24 Re: The Tube
September 04, 2006, 10:37:07 am
Cheers for the directions.

Although I have no F*****G idea how you found it. We almost missed it and just stumbled or fell accross it by acciedent even with the directions(cant wait to see how you draw the map).

The problems on whole are OK but a bit of loose rock(did pull and snap quite a bit) does spoil the venue a little.

More traffic would clean this up and it would be a good little off the beaten track venue.

Looked at most of the problems but am not going to get into the grade issues.

One thing I will post is that dawn raider should start sitting under the roof as from the right, you can as I did climb out to the arete and onto the lip via big undercut flakes (the most obvious line from the right hand start) around 7bish

Great place beautifull setting and one of the best and prob the biggest limestone roofs in the country.

Tony Simpson

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal